Ring Desktop App Discontinuation

Hey Ring folks, thanks for the update. I am commenting to reinforce the objection to discontinuing the Ring Desktop app. Removing Ring Desktop is materially changing the product and will force me to remove all ring devices in favor of another security solution. I see that you’re developing similar features on Ring.com… however, this does not offer the same seamless experience that the desktop app allows. You currently have a great product… but, removing the desktop app would make your product cumbersome and inconvenient. It ain’t broke… why are you trying to fix it?

5 Likes

It appears this file naming convention issue is falling on deaf ears. IT IS HUGE to those who store past events.

I posted this on 13August and got NO RESPONSE from RING:

That does not solve other unique features of the desktop app. The most critical is the the naming format for video downloads from the desktop app:

[yyyy-mm-ddTtttttt]-cameraname-motiontype.mp4

It is the only download app that uses this file name. All others assign a cryptic numeric code that does nothing to describe the file contents. Unless this is moved to the web application then I have little hope of using downloaded files for documenting activity around my properties and storing them in a sane and rational library on my laptop/desktop.

The recent change to the web app (ring.com), where camera files are only observable from the “History” tab, and not the camera by camera lists available on the “Devices” tab, means I may never be able to use my sizeable investment in cameras as I have in the past. It is bug-ee, inconsistent and often locks up. This may be enough motivation to discontinue my Ring network and go to another product line. Nine devices on my network and now I won’t be able to discern one downloaded file from another unless I take the time to individually name them. An impossible task to keep up with the 20-40 files I download per day.

If you take away this app, then you MUST move the file naming convention for downloads to the WEB app!

Bob

Its crazy that there is no open end debate about this decision with as many posts on here, reddit and other sites of users crying out for a reconsideration and to NOT discontinue the desktop app. It’s like they don’t even care to receive customer’s input. The very customers that purchase their products and keep them going. And I very much disagree with the decision, especially with a big concern such as the filename discrepancy.

Since y’all wont reconsider, don’t be surprised when your customers reconsider their commitment to Ring and ultimately choose another service.

3 Likes

Im only replying to shoutout #ATX #512 :stuck_out_tongue:

The Windows app was one of the deciding factors in purchasing the system. I have invested heavily into the Ring infrastructure & now with no REAL reason you are crippling it. I work from home and the Windows toast notifications let me know when someone is approaching my property. I mute my phone notifications during the day and I don’t want to have an unnecessary browser open on my desktop! The Windows App sits quietly in the background and does its job perfectly - ‘toast notifications’ and ‘audio pings’. Your customers are asking you not to remove the functionality - Do the decent thing and listen.

2 Likes

This is probably the end for me and Ring. I work on the third floor of my house. I want to be alerted when something goes on, but I don’t want to have these alerts on my phone when I’m sitting by the front door. So alas. It was fun while it lasted. Bye.

3 Likes

I use the Mac App all day just leave it open in the dock. Now that I will have to use a browser to have it open is a waste of resource on my Mac. Might have to look for a different doorbell. This is a very bad idea.

3 Likes

Hey neighbors! Thank you for your continued feedback here. I wanted to post an update on this discontinuation. By December 31, 2021, you’ll be able to access Live View and get motion alerts, ding notifications, and all the latest features on ring.com – no app updates necessary! All your favorite desktop app features will be coming to your preferred web browser. As part of this change, the desktop app will be discontinued in January 2022. Please check out our updated Help Center article here to answer all questions you have on browser availability, features and other commonly asked questions.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true!

The single most important feature to me - and the reason why I chose Ring over the competition - is that when the bell rings, a window pops up front & center, immediately visible (at least, when it’s all working properly). You are taking that away from your users. How are you planning on refunding me for functionality I bought and paid for, which you’ve now removed? Or should I just return all the kit for a refund, along with the expense I went to getting it installed?

10 Likes

Here’s a radical thought! Instead of simply sun-setting the apps, why not open-source them and let the developer community move them forwards?

6 Likes

So my favorite feature of the desktop app is that I get a window notification instantly on my computer and click on the notice and opens up the desktop app and the video loads in a couple of seconds. So this feature will be with the web version?

As of right now the notifications on my phone can take up to 30 seconds or more to come through. Video connection coming through my Echo Show can take a minute or more or even not at all.

6 Likes

Not updating the desktop app in the interim 02/2021-12/31/2021 has left me with a new Doorbell 4 I can’t even see on my computer or get live view on ring.com. Bad planning on rings part leaving a gap like that especially with all the new ring products coming out(Doorbell 4) . Dennis

2 Likes

@Chelsea_Ring

There is a downside to the ‘Live View’ mode both on your website & phone app. It doesn’t stay in Live View mode for long.

Can you please fix so that it doesn’t loose connection or it resumes connection if it disconnects?

I have a tablet that I want to setup as permanently in live view mode using your website but i keep getting the attached.

Also, include Opera.com browser in the browser compatibility list. it is more secure than Firefox & Edge.

This is a complete lie! I know as a developer, there is ZERO way to allow a “pop-up window with live view” when you get a movement notification from Ring in a browser… EVEN SAFARI ON MAC!.. This is the ONLY reason I use ring, because I can make this happen on my Mac…

I will be cancelling my Ring service, and throwing away all 6 of my cameras and moving to a homekit only solution through iCloud if the desktop app is discontinued…

You have been informed, ball is in your court Ring…

4 Likes

Possibly the worst idea ever. Taking a working, easy to use app and discontinuing it to force people to use Chrome of Edge, and almost usable interface, is an insult to your customers.

3 Likes

Please don’t discontinue the desktop application for windows. It is a much smoother way to quickly check the doorbell. I bought the ring doorbell instead of competitor products because of the desktop application.

4 Likes

Regardless of whatever new features you might add to the browser-based version of the app, the fact that logging in (sometimes with 2-factor verification) adds a significant delay to live-viewing the cameras. If motion is detected on my property I need to see what’s going on as quickly as possible. Honestly, I think most every Ring user would agree. Have you somehow forgotten that Ring cameras are a “security” product? Dropping the desktop app is a considerable downgrade to your entire platform! Am I against having access through a browser-based app? Certainly not. It has it’s place. But under no circumstances should it be considered a viable “replacement” for the desktop application. In the long run, surely your decision the drop it will be viewed as a very poor move. What a great opportunity for your competitors!

5 Likes

So it’s still “we don’t care” from Ring about this? I feel so loved by this company and service that I pay for. [/sarcasm]

3 Likes

I’m quite ■■■■■■ about this move. The sole reason we purchased and been a subscriber for 3 years was for the ability to have both the desktop and mobile apps. My son has autism and he fully uses the desktop app. Time to look for other options. Thanks for looking out for the special needs community, Ring!

6 Likes

Totally agree, this is the stupidest move I’ve seen a company making. Desktop apps are always more convenient to use than browser applications, especially for the use case with cameras.

No one with the right mind could recommend a browser-only strategy for Ring products. I know of no Ring user in our neighbourhood who doesn’t hate the fact that the desktop apps are being discontinued.

4 Likes