Ring cam wired - light keeps turning on for no reason

No motion, yet the light turns on randomly. I used to think it was the steam from the boiler flu but the lights turn on without the boiler on too.

Is the device faulty?
It’s up to date, clean, connected etc.

Any hell much appreciated

Having same issue with my spotlight cam.

1 Like

Hi there, neighbors! Great call on checking the environmental factors. This and checking the motion and light related settings in your Ring app will allow you to fine tune this operation. If lights are triggering too frequently, despite minimizing light settings and angling the Camera differently, try bring the Camera inside or elsewhere. As a test, place the Camera somewhere else in your home to rule out any factors. Of course, if this is a “mount” or hardwired Camera and cannot be moved, see if you can eliminate heat sources, vehicles, or other objects that might be triggering.

Additionally, if there is a switch controlling the power or outlet used by your Camera, please ensure this light switch is remaining on. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Same here. It was fine until a week ago. Now every time i open the app the lights are somehow magically on. I do not want my light on!!! It attracts bugs and spiders!!! FIX IT!!!

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Nothing has changed within the camera or lighting area, or any setting in Ring, and it keeps turning the light on for no reason. I’ve tried “forgetting” the device and setting it up again but that didn’t do anything. I’ve noticed it happening since I installed a new Ring doorbell and chime but I don’t know for sure that’s got anything to do with it.

Same here. The light is on every time I go into the app. No amount of fine tuning seems to help

Same problem. The camera has worked fine for several years. But now the lights started turning on randomly at night. Turning off through the app does not help, the lights turn on again. Rebooting the camera also does not help. Any advise?

My floodlight cam just started having similar light issues a few weeks (maybe months) ago. But it’s not consistent. When I go into the app, I sometime see the floodlight cam light on in broad daylight. The lights also often get triggered on when I change alarm modes. Again this occurs in broad daylight as well as at night.

Power cycling; clearing app cache; uninstalling and reinstalling app has not helped.

Also not sure if related, but the app often won’t load modes or dashboard when I open the app. Then I have to close and reopen again.

Numerous weird things going on with my Ring setup lately…

Our hardwired backyard floodlight cam is doing similar for the past month or so … lights keep cycling on even though there’s nothing to trigger the camera. I thought it might be related to the cold snap we had, but this morning it’s about 50F and it’s still doing it. I’ll go into the app and turn the lights off, and seconds later they’re on again. My other ring lights, which are battery / solar, are not doing this.

Hi @cwinkler. The lights for the Floodlight Cam have their own set of motion sensors that utilize Passive Infrared motion detection. Their Motion Detection zone can be larger than the Motion Zones for your Camera. This is why you’ll have your lights activated but no recording. Try adjusting your lights settings until you’ve found a setting that will work for you.

No amount of fine-tuning seems to help keep the light from turning on, except by replacing it with a different brand.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.