Ring Blocking My Access to My Account

Why is Ring blocking my access to my account over my home internet connection?

Have a spotlight cam, a floodlight cam, and a chime pro. Everything was going great for about two weeks until one morning I woke up and found I could no longer load my dashboard in the app and couldn’t access my videos.

Spent about five hours on the phone with CS, and multiple level 1 people who wanted me to restart my router, uninstall and reinstall the app, etc. after I had already done that. No one could tell me what was wrong. Even bought a new router at one of the rep’s suggestions. Didn’t solve the problem but at least I’m getting my ISP’s advertised speeds now…

I contacted my ISP. Nothing had changed on their end and one of their people was having trouble as well.

If I turn off WiFi on my phone, everything works fine. It’s like Ring is blocking my access and it is definitely on their end, not mine.

Oh, and the issue randomly resolves itself too. Connections went down sometime the morning of the 14th and came back up in the afternoon. Same on the 15th. Then it worked fine until this morning of the 21st.

Ring: why on earth would I give you any more of my money if you can’t provide a reliable service and can’t figure out why you’re blocking me???!!!

And if I try to log into my account from my desktop computer?

Hi @pokey074. Would you happen to be using a VPN? If so, I would try disabling the VPN. It can cause the concerns that you are having. If you are able to view the Ring app when not on wifi, it would appear that there is added security on your home network that is blocking Ring from connecting. I would suggest contacting support to help adjust the security settings on your router, if that is the case.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.I hope this information helps.

No. No VPN. Never have had a VPN.

Already contacted support and we went through several settings that did not solve the issue. There is no added security on my home network, just a regular router.

It worked fine for two weeks and then suddenly started having problems. Nothing changed on my end.

Issue randomly resolves itself.

This is not on my end.

some times your firewall can block your apps go into your firewall setting and look for your ring app settings hope that helps

1 Like

Your post doesn’t make any sense to me. In my router’s firewall settings there is no Ring app. I don’t have the Ring app on my computer. I have it on my iPhone. There are no firewall settings on my iPhone.

One of the CS reps I spoke with last week had me change a couple of settings in my router’s firewall settings and that did not solve the problem.

Still doesn’t explain why it randomly stops working and then randomly starts again.

Also, I’m obviously not the only one having this problem:

Hi @pokey074. You access the Ring app using an internet connection. Internet connections of all types, including the Ring app, are routed through your homes internet router. If there have been changes, by you or your Internet Service Provider, to your network or routers security settings, it could present the issue you are experiencing. Are you able to access this while your off of wifi, or connected to a wifi hotspot?

love it thank for the valuable information

For anyone getting the 406 - Not Acceptable error see my info in the post below. In addition to what I wrote in that reply, your phone or computer does not take the same path to Ring’s servers every time. That is why some of you only see the error occasionally.

2 Likes

Thanks, @jimyouse!

For any other neighbors sharing this same concern, please reference @jimyouse response explaining it further here:

Which mentions checking vpn and inquiring with your internet service provider. If you would like our support team to take a closer look for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.