Ring app used 4.8gb of mobile data in two hours

Hi, has anyone had the ring app use massive amounts of mobile data when at home on WiFi?
Last night I went to bed and didn’t notice the app open on my phone in the background(I’ve done this before without a problem) but it was just on the dash board screen not live view or anything like that. I woke up to find it had used 4.8gb of my modile data(all of it) even though the phone was connected to WiFi.

This is a little frustrating. I tried ringing Ring but got hung up on after an hour of being on hold with very little help.
This has left me without data until my plan renews next month!

5 Likes

No and never heard of that happening. Definitely contact them about it.

2 Likes

I’ve found one other example of someone having the same problem. Looks like their ring app used 40gb of mobile background data(mine used 6.1 over two days) . It looks like they may have sorted the problem but didn’t make it public. It seems so strange that e it uses the modile data even when on WiFi.

In the future I’m going to have background data turned off or chuck the camera in the bin if it keeps happening.
I would like to see some form of help from ring over this! I was thinking of buying more cameras but this is putting me off.

2 Likes

Have you contacted their tech support? They might offer some suggestions on here but will eventually suggest tech support.

1 Like

This is odd to hear of, @MEGRAC! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Does this only happen on the android device you are using? If possible, see if the experience of data usage is the same on another mobile device. Some important factors to consider is data coverage/ provider, continuous lengthy streaming (more use generally), and please ensure there is not a vpn enabled on the mobile device.

As this is an android device, please check for any android apps that conflict with the Ring app.

1 Like

This happened to me over one night while my phone was connected to wi-fi, I didn’t notice till my service provider called me to let me know I had gone over my plan, in one night the device used 5.8GB of data. What’s worst is that now that I have stopped the app from being able to use cellphone data, the app on my phone does not allow me to view live mode anymore. It doesn’t let me view it on my wi-fi at home, my office, or at the wi-fi in any public place. I had to download the app on my iPad to be able to live view over the same wi-fi that my phone is unable to do likewise. iPhone user.

1 Like

Hi , I bought my friend one Ring camera and he had the same issue when it used 3.37gb in 2 days on his mobile phone data. Do you know if other users found a common fault?

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue on iPhone iOS, even though I’m watching my Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro and Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 at home on the WiFi the ring App is using lots of mobile data. In the last month rather than the normal 200MB it used up 1.6GB, most of my allowance. This only seems to have been happening within the last month.

As a workaround I turn off mobile data for the ring App when at home, then the home wifi is used, as it should be over mobile data when WiFi is available.

This issue needs to be urgently looked into by ring and fixed…

This has also been raised in the last few days at:

2 Likes

I had this happen to me yesterday - Samsung Galaxy S21 - I was monitoring the camera in my garage and it used 1/2 Gb of LTE data, since I am on Google Fi this is $5. I just tested it and sure enough, it shows both WiFi and mobile data activity while the camera live is active.

This is a pretty serious issue, does anyone know if Ring know about it and are actively working on it?

Edit - I just tried to report this as a bug through chat, and they cannot do that. The only recourse is to call and I do not have time to be Ring’s QA department. I would suggest that everyone disable mobile data on the app when you are on WiFi until (or if) they fix this issue.

1 Like

The android ring app uses mobile data to watch videos…EVEN WHEN CONNECTED TO STRONG WIFI.

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

(PIxel 5 / Google Fi/ Android 12)

2 Likes

Same issue here.
I’m on my home wifi, I connect up to the camera to check on the dog and when I go back to my phone homescreen I can see the data usage widget I’ve got bump up my mobile data usage.
as I’m on wifi 90% of the time I don’t have a lot of data on my contract - this is basically making the app un-useable for me.

2 Likes

Having the same issue here and it just started recently. I’m glad to see others experience it and that I’m not going crazy. I’ve burned through over 3 GB of data so far in a matter of days, and almost all of it was at home on a strong mesh Wi-Fi connection. I now cannot even use the app (even while home) since it has nearly exhausted all of my monthly data allocation in less than a week.

This is very unfortunate since I recently invested in another Ring cam (now own a total of 3) and have been a Ring Protect Plus subscriber for almost 2 years.

Pixel 3a running Android 12 and the latest version of Ring app.

2 Likes

Same issue, just spent an hour on the phone with support and got nowhere, they apparently don’t want to admit any issue on their end. Rediculous, I will be leaving ring if they don’t address this.

2 Likes

Same issue - Android 12, Pixel 3xl

1 Like

Same issue on Samsung Galaxy S10. Over 2GB of mobile data used while at home sitting right next to the WiFi router.

1 Like

Any of you using Google Fi?

1 Like

I am using Mint Mobile, but this problem likely applies to any carrier (I supposed Fi might be somewhat unique due to the cellular/Wi-Fi functionality it relies on).

As an update, I just downloaded a data monitoring app and viewed my Stick-Up Cam for about 10 seconds using the Ring app while sitting here at my desk connected to Wi-Fi. Sure enough, the data monitoring app immediately showed that Ring consumed 5+ MB of cellular data as well as a small amount of Wi-Fi data.

Watching a 20 second YouTube video or browsing Chrome used zero cellular data. Interestingly, using the older “Rapid Ring” app does not consume any cellular data.

Obviously there is a bug in this app, and it’s costing people (including me) real money by burning through mobile data plans. I cannot believe Ring is not even attempting to address this, as it makes the app virtually unusable.

1 Like

Using Verizon for wireless and internet. Seems like an APP issue, not a carrier issue

1 Like

It must be a recent app update as it started happening to me as well within the last month - Galaxy S20 over Rogers network. There’s another thread over in the Video Doorbell area about this issue as well.

1 Like

Hello,

I can confirm, that the Android Ring app is using Mobile Data even while connected to our strong fast WiFi router…

My wife recently started monitoring our dogs in the back yard by keeping the camera active on her device, while connected to wifi, and we started getting notifications that she is almost out of 10GB data limit, just 4 days after receiving fresh 10GB of data.

This is a SERIOUS problem, Ring. Please fix, and let me know if you need a competent Android developer to help you.

Thanks!

3 Likes