Ring app crashes when playing videos

On a Samsung Z Fold2 mobile, when playing videos, of events or live, from any camera and using the opened phone’s larger screen and rotating from portrait to landscape, or vice versa, the app crashes.

Videos play OK on the front screen with the phone closed, and rotating.

Have tried reinstalling the app, still the same.

Hi there, @PeterJS! Try checking to see if you have any android apps installed that conflict with the Ring app. Please also ensure there is not a VPN enabled on your mobile device. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there @Marley_Ring

Thank you for your prompt response.

I do not appear to have any android conflict apps or an enabled VPN on my phone.

I believe the problem above, and a few other niggles, have appeared since the Ring app was automatically updated on my phone on 5 Oct 21.

Also, I now note that while a video is playing in portrait mode, if I tap on the “full screen” symbol in the video frame, the app crashes.

Both these problems do not appear using the front smaller screen of the folded phone.

I further note that, on the Ring home screen, the camera snaps displayed are often much older than the “time since” displayed on it.

@PeterJS Thanks for letting us know about any conflicting apps. Do you have another smart phone or tablet with the Ring App installed that you can try to view a video on? I’d like to see if this is only happening on your phone or if it is across other smart phones or tablets. Also ensure that the OS on your device is fully updated as well.

I am bringing my Samsung S10 out of retirement which will take time to update and I will then try the issue on there.

In the meantime, I note that I can view videos from the history list with no issue, going from portrait to landscape and back on the unfolded main screen.

Also, from the camera main screen I can go ‘live’ with no display issues, but when I play the recording from the same screen, and turn the phone the app abends.

The front (smaller) screen has no issues.

I will check this issue on the S10 when it is updated and get back to you.