Ring and Google Nest Mesh System

I am completely frustrated with my ring products. I have a Google Nest Router Mesh System. My router is in the basement where all my house wiring comes in and two add-on points. I have a camera in back near my wifi router, one near my garage near an add-on point and the my doorbell near the 2nd add-on point.

I am consistently getting streaming errors. My download speed and mesh system are all testing perfect. Once I reset them and put them on my network they work fine but the next day, again, streaming errors. Does anyone have a mesh system with ring products connected to the add-on modules? Are you having any problems?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I spoke with Google and reset the entire system, tested and all works fine. All my other products, non-ring, never have problems, i.e. tv’s, phones, tablets, smart plugs, amazon alexa products, etc. Very strange…Thanks

1 Like

Hey @Canman! Do you mind giving us a bit more details on each device? Let me know what Ring devices you have set up, what the RSSI value is for them all, and if you go to ring.com/speed, what kind of upload and download speeds do you get? In addition, does your mesh system have dual band switching where it’s always looking for the best network (2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz networks)? I’ve noticed neighbors that make a 2.4 Ghz only network specifically for the Ring devices tend to find relief in doing this! You can learn more about RSSI in our Community post here.

Thank you for your message.

Ring Doorbell 2 (RSSI-48), 2x Spotlight Cam; (RSSI-54 Backyard) / (RSSI-46 Side)

* All ring products are within 20 ft of a respective google nest product whether the wireless router or add-on modules.

Ran a speed check; 226 Mbps down 11 Mbps up

The Nest, I believe runs dual band, and but cannot determine which band a device is one. As mentioned after I reset each device they work for a short term then get streaming errors. At this time I cannot even connect to my doorbell or side camera though any other device in that area works without any problem.

Thanks

Found this in addition to my response regarding the google nest mesh network:

Every wireless device is different and has its own rules (factoring in signal strength, congestion, etc.) to select the best band. So it’s possible that your phone connects to the 2.4GHz band, while your laptop connects to the 5GHz band. Ultimately, your device will decide which band it will use to connect. Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi’s Band Steering feature will attempt to guide your connected devices to the band with the best performance for each device.

How does my device choose a band?

Devices that support only the 2.4GHz band (an older phone, for example), will automatically connect to the_ _2.4GHz band. Most dual band devices that support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz will automatically pick a band based on different factors like signal strength and guidance from the mesh Wi-Fi system.

Hey neighbors! If you’re having any Live View concerns, including streaming errors, please try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Check the RSSI on the Device Health page for each of your Ring devices. The RSSI value will indicate if the wifi signal your Ring device is receiving is stable or not.
  • Review this list of Live View troubleshooting tips and tricks in our Community post here. This can help you narrow down what the cause is, as it may be different from one neighbor to the next.
  • If you have a dual-band router, try creating a guest network that is only 2.4GHz and connect your Ring devices to this network. While some Ring devices are compatible with 5.0GHz networks, it does not have as far of an effective range nor is it as stable as 2.4GHz wifi networks.

If this concern persists after checking through the troubleshooting steps suggested above, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: