Resistor gets very hot

I installed a new transformer on for our doorbell 2 along with a resistor. So the doorbell shows hardwired but the resistor is very hot - I can not touch it. Is that normal?

Hi @Jtlapp. What is the voltage rating for your transformer? This Help Center article here has more information about hardwiring a Ring Video Doorbell 2. What type of chime kit are you hardwiring this to? Is it mechanical or digital? If you feel that the temperature of any of the components is at an unsafe level, disconnect power right away and contact our support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

No chime unit installed just a doorbell 2 - using house wiring directly from transformer + resistor to the doorbell 2. The transformer is the one you sent me 120 v input 16v 30 VA output. Resistor is too hot to touch.

My digital volt meter shows 18VAC

Hi @Jtlapp, happy to step in for Tom here. When installing a Video Doorbell 2 directly to a low voltage transformer without an existing doorbell, make sure it is installed according to these instructions. The resistor is required, but it’s important to verify that it is properly installed along with your Doorbell and the transformer.

As Tom said, we do urge you to disconnect power from your device and contact our support team if you feel that any of the components feel unsafe due to the temperature. Your safety is a top priority, and our support team is equipped to field any safety related concerns with your Ring devices.