Replaced a doorbell Pro with a doorbell pro 2, new unit keeps going offline after less than 24 hours

I had to replaced a failed Doorbell Pro so got a Doorbell Pro 2. The previous unit worked well and was reliable for over 2 years with no issues. It was always on line.

The Doorbell Pro 2 is powered by a RING mains adapter which is supplying 26Vac at the doorbell. It is connected to the Chime Pro network. This arrangement worked very well with the previous Doorbell Pro.

The new Doorbell has been appalling with its reliability. It will go offline between 2-30 hours and will not work continually. It reports an error of P1-70 when it goes off line. If I cycle the power adapter off and on it immediately reconnects and reports good voltage and good network connection but will not stay connected for very long.

Is it a faulty unit? Why is the “new and improved” Doorbell 2 so much worse than the old unit?

Thanks

Jacek

Hi @Jacek23. If your Doorbell Pro 2 is frequently disconnecting from the internet, there is likely a connectivity issue that could be causing this. I’d recommend starting with the RSSI, which you can find on the Device Health screen in the Ring app. The RSSI will give you a measure of how strong the wifi connection to your Doorbell is. I’d also recommend utilizing a 2.4GHz rather than a 5.0GHz network, since it will provide a farther effective range. If your router is a dual band router, you might need to create a guest network that is only 2.4GHz to connect the Doorbell to in order for it to remain stable. One last thing to check would be the ports and protocols used by Ring devices. Make sure these are open, otherwise it could impact the connection your Doorbell has with the wifi.

I hope these troubleshooting tips help you get this resolved so you don’t have to worry about any connectivity problems with your new Doorbell Pro 2. If this concern persists, I’d recommend following up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. They can take a more in-depth look and offer more advanced assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hi
Apologies for the delay in responding.

Thank you for the response and suggestions but I need to clarify the wireless connection.

The new door is connected to a chime pro via its dedicated network and not connected directly to our wifi. This set up was the same for the old doorbell pro and it never presented any problems.

The RSI at the doorbell for the chime pro network is 62. It do not know the frequency of the chime pro but it worked fine with the old pro doorbell.

The chime pro always stays online and connected to the wifi. We have not had any issues for time we have had it which is over 2 years.

We have noticed that the new doorbell often goes offline when it is pressed. It happens so quickly it does not chime but we get a video of a person approaching the door and pressing the button then it stops.

Jacek

Hi

Another update since I last posted the doorbell pro 2 has gone off line twice yesterday and again overnight. The doorbell goes offline when it rung or someone approaches to deliver post.

This morning it was showing last known signal strength was RSSI 63 for the chime pro network. It varies between RSSI 60 to 63. The chime pro is connected to the wifi network and it show a signal strength of RSSI-53.

However, on previous occasions the doorbell showed a voltage as good and power output as level one. This morning, the power output was still level one after it failed, but the voltage was showing as poor so is the issue with the RING mains adapter? It is compatible with the RING mains adapter? I checked the voltage at the doorbell at it is 26V AC.

It does seem odd that cycling the power on and off, seems to reset the device, it reconnects immediately and shows good voltage in power output as level one.

Can you please advise.

Thanks

Jacek

Hi @Jacek23. I’m happy to chime in here. As mentioned above, if you are still having the same concern, give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Our support team will be able to take a more in-depth look at your concern.