Reducing the SSI

I have a Ring doorbell and my SSI number is 83, which is totally rubbish.
I have the Ring WiFi extender, which to be honest, really makes no difference. So the result is a delay in me getting notified that someone is at the door and it’s then too late for anything !!

I do have reasonably fast WiFi around all my home, so that’s not the issue.
If I look at the Ring help section, it mentions walls, instructions other electrical items, which in my opinion is just a excuse they use because the Ring doorbells just aren’t up to scratch. Why does anyone develop a wireless doorbell and then say that obstructions such as walls will effect the coverage.
I have tried relocating the Ring WiFi extender all over the house and it makes no difference at all . Between the doorbell and my home router, there is one plasterboard wall, and then the outside wall which has plasterboard on the inside and one layer of bricks on the outside. If this is a problem, houses with solid brick walls must find this product useless.

When I bring the doorbell into the house to charge the battery which is in the same room as my router the SSI goes down to mid 40s.
Any SENSIBLE ideas or suggestions before I look at another more reliable brand. I’m not really interested in someone quoting what’s in the Ring help section because, yes, I do have walls and other electrical items in my house and using WiFi !!!
Thanks

1 Like

Hi there, @152bobby. Distance and interference are among the most common culprits in wifi interference. Limiting both can certainly help to improve RSSI. As you mentioned having a Ring Chime Pro, this is a great way to dedicate an extender to only your Ring devices. Please ensure this Chime Pro is fully connected to your Video Doorbell as the Doorbell’s network connection method, and not just linked for sound.

Once you’ve confirmed the Video Doorbell is using the Chime Pro network, finding an outlet that is half way between your router and Doorbell is best. Feel free to also check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for your reply. Apart from the ring tone coming out of the chime pro extender when someone presses the doorbell, where do I look to see if it’s connected, obviously somewhere within the ring app .
Thanks

I am resurrecting my post again. I have put up with the high RSSI for a long time now and I am now window shopping for an alternative which has better wifi coverage and connection. As mentioned before, I do have excellent wifi throughout my home and there is one thin plasterboard wall and then one other wall with one plasterboard and one layer of brick to get to the Ring Doorbell.

I have the Gen 1 Ring Doorbell (battery) and I would like to know if I upgrade to another Ring video doorbell, even the top range one, will I still have rubbish RSSI (currently at 76).

I spent most of today moving the Ring Extender around the house, connecting to the home wifi direct and also trying just connecting direct from the Ring Extender and its just really not acceptable.

Any suggestions on just my question about upgrading to a newer Ring Doorbell, as I am not troubleshooting any further with this Generation 1 Ring Video Doorbell.

Thanks

Hi @152bobby. It sounds like the brick that your Ring Doorbell is mounted to is severely degrading the WiFi signal. Environmental factors like these can be difficult to mitigate. If you’ve already added a Chime Pro and you’re are still having RSSI issues, the next best option would be to use a POE option. The Ring Elite is Power Over Ethernet and will have a consistent connection because of the wired internet connection. This may or may not be a suitable option for you.

1 Like

Thanks for that. My neighbour has bought a Ring Doorbell Pro and it also comes with the Ring Power Adapter and he has never opened it or used it and he said I can have it !! So i am going to try it.

Just one question, I have the basic Ring Cloud package, if I simply just set up the Pro and register it to my address, will my Cloud Package simply work with this new Pro ? Thanks

Hi @152bobby. The Basic Ring Protect Plan will cover one device at one location. You will need to purchase and additional Ring Protect Plan to cover another device. You can learn more about the Ring Protect plans here.

1 Like

I have a suggestion. Move your Ring Chime device as close to the door as possible. Purchase a Wi-Fi extender that matches the capability of your WiFi router and set it halfway between your router and your monitored door. If you have strong Wi-Fi in your house, the extender will send as strong of a signal as possible to your Ring Chime device. The closer the Ring Chime device is to the door, the less that brick will affect the signal.

Completely unrelated, but I have a wireless 433 MHz temperature/humidity detector inside of a gun safe. It is able to broadcast it’s information to my Weather Station. That signal is going through fire rated insulation and thick steel. But, that signal is only being transferred about 3 feet. The closer the better!

1 Like

Hi @jonmac. Thank you for sharing this suggestion! You’re absolutely correct that a wifi extender is only as strong as the signal it’s receiving. The better the signal the extender has, the better the signal it can extend. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.