Rapid Ring App suddenly has "weak connection issues"

I just updated the app and received the same while away from home. Will keep an eye on whether it happens at home Vs. away. Doesn’t seem to effect the rapidness of opening.

I still have issues with both of those apps when on cellular. They work ok when using wifi. However once on cellular (Cricket) its unusable. The download speed is about 3Mbps with recommended 2Mbps. Reinstalling apps did not help. Any ideas?

Hey.

I’ve just found this thread after some googling of the issue. I’m having exactly the same issue. I’ve tried everything in the thread and it’s still not resolved it. I could understand if the RSSIs were low everywhere but it even happens on the highest RSSI camera! Has anyone from Ring commented on this issue?

It might also be worth noting that when I last spoke to the customer support guys yesterday (to resolve another issue) he told me that my ‘packet loss’ was high. But if we’re all experiencing this, then surely it’s not a user issue?

Thanks

Kris

FYI: the app’s just been updated on iOS (v1.11.0) and the issue still persists…

Kris

@Chelsea_Ring do you have any solutions?

Hey @krisgreen65. Whenever neighbors get this error message, it’s best to ensure your phone has the best connection. In addition, the app should tell you if your phone has a weak connection, or if it’s the device that has a weak connection. Could you please share a screenshot of where within the Rapid Ring app that you are seeing this error message? Do you see the same error message when loading the Ring app? Please include any screenshots of this to help showcase the message you’re running into.

In the event your app is saying that there is a weak connection from the device, please check your RSSI to determine what could be causing a poor RSSI value which is generally from -60 to -80. If your app is saying your phone has a weak connection, please try to load it on wifi if not already or only using mobile data is the wifi is giving this message.

1 Like

Hey @Chelsea_Ring,

It happens when you watch any feed in the rapid ring app. As you’ll see from this whole thread, it can’t be a coincidence that it’s happening to all of us.

My Internet is absolutely fine. The RSSI numbers are fine (as I can watch the feed via the normal ring app without problem) so there has to be something wrong with the rapid ring app itself…

I’ll post a picture tomorrow, but essentially the feed loads and a red bar appears at the top with the weak connection message. It then disappears and reappears constantly whole watching the feed…

Thanks

Kris

@krisgreen65 Thanks for getting back to me! I did read the thread, and it seems to be mixed for neighbors who had this concern back in March, where we later pushed an app update that fixed it and resolved the concern. I know some neighbors have since seem this message pop up, and this message will indeed pop up if the connection is poor, stating if it’s on the phone’s end or the device’s end. Therefore, we would need to do some more troubleshooting on this. Since everyone network, set up, and usage of the device is different, some may experience this concern, and some may not. As these are wifi enabled devices for the most part, they can vary in times when they work and don’t work as well, just like your internet.

Nevertheless, I’m happy to look into it further! What is best when escalating this matters to the right teams on our end is knowing the device it’s happening on, the RSSI for the device, screenshots showing Live View loading fine on the Ring app versus the Rapid Ring app, and knowing what kind of phone you are running the Rapid Ring app on, as well as the version of the app and the OS version of the phone. My team will need this information to look into this further, but I’m happy to have them take a look!

I will be out on the weekend, but will return Monday and look forward to that information so I can get it over to the right people. Thank you, neighbor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Chelsea_Ring

Thanks for coming back to me. Please see attached screen grabs as requested.

This is happening on an indoor cam (wired), with an RSSI of -33 and I’m on an iPhone XS Max, running the very latest iOS (13.5.1) with Rapid Ring app (1.11.0) and the normal Ring app (5.27.1).

Today, I’ve also been experiencing a regular black screen when trying to load the live video feed to the camera, too.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Kris

And here’s the black screen I’m experiencing in the Rapid Ring app too @Chelsea_Ring

@krisgreen65 Thank you so much for getting back to me and attaching those screenshots to reference, this helps a ton! So for the screenshots you had before (pre-black screen video), it seems you may have gotten that pop up in the event your Live View may have been lagging or slow to load. This can pop up sometimes when the app is still loading in the background and may be adjusting to the connection available. It seems the connection it just fine, especially on the Camera’s end as the quality is very good.

This may just be on the phone’s end, but it still could be network related considering you have gotten this black screen error. Could you check the ports and protocols on your router to ensure there isn’t anything on your network end of things that could be blocking or bogging down your Live View? We also have a Help Center Article here which addresses black video error as well. Let me know if making any of these adjustments seem to help! You may need to reach out to our support team to have this diagnosed further.

1 Like

Hi @Chelsea_Ring

I’ve just managed to have a look through all the information you’ve given me… And I’m afraid I really don’t think I should be having to start tweaking port forwarding settings to fix something like this…

This issue is isolated to ONE camera having issues on the Rapid Ring app out of the SIX I have setup on my account. There’s clearly no issue with my connection. And there’s clearly no issue with the RSSI, either (ironically, the camera I’m having issues with has the best RSSI across all six cameras…)

I’d be grateful if this issue could be escalated to someone in the technical team for a more advanced investigation. I think it’s quite easy to say there’s probably something wrong with the connecton/hardware at my end; but given all of the above, it looks increasingly likely that there’s something wrong with the hardware; or the connection between the hardware and your Rapid Ring app…

Many thanks,

Kris

I’m having the exact same problem. For me, it’s with a POE connected Stick-Up Cam. During the day time I see black video when trying to live view in either the Ring or Rapid Ring apps. It’s only on one of my 4 Stick-Up Cams (I also have a Ring Pro and 2 wires Indoor Cams with no problems). Strange thing is at night I rarely have the problem. All the recordings from those live views are fine when viewed after the fact, though.

I can set that Stick Up Cam to use WiFi instead of Ethernet, and I’ll still have the problem.

Any suggestions?

@krisgreen65 Thank you for detailing that out for me, that does sound indeed odd knowing it’s for just that one device and not on the other devices. As we are a neighbor to neighbor support forum, we are unable to get your specific case passed over to the appropriate teams, as I know our troubleshooting team may need to take an more in-depth look with your device. Because of this, could you please call our support team and report this with this? For this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I would love to hear what they say on this, so please come back and let me know! @DukeCrow Feel free to also follow this suggestion and give our support team a call, as since this is for only one of your devices as well it seems, they would be best to follow up with on this specific device! Let me know how this goes for the both of you neighbors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welp, it’s spreading. 2 of my Stick Up Cams now have the issue. I hope phone support can help.

Hey neighbors! Thank you so much for reporting back to us and continuing to provide new information or what you are experiencing. Rest assured, our team is currently looking into this, and we appreciate your feedback on the app as it is vital to this process.

In the event that you are unable to use the Ring app and you are in need of immediate assistance, please do not hesitate to give our support team a call directly at one of the numbers available here. As we are a neighbor to neighbor forum, you will need to give our team a call for this direct support. We appreciate your patience while we are looking into this.

1 Like

I have been experiencing the same issue with my iphone XsMax on Verizon. I bought a SIM card from T-Mobile and compared the two at the same location. Even though the speed test for Verizon was 49 Mbps down and 13 Mbps up and T-Mobile was 15.9 Mbps down and 4.7 Mbps up, I did not experience the weak connection issue on T-Mobile, but was able to repeatedly see the message using Verizon. I’m not sure if this is just a fluke, but found it interesting. I have no relationship other than as a user of service for both Verizon and T-Mobile.

Hi, yes I’m having the exact same problem. All my outdoor cameras have choppy live view video and red banner saying weak connection when using rapid ring app. No issues when using normal ring app. All my cameras are around -55, I’m using eero mesh WiFi system with download speeds of 50-60mbps. I have an iPhone XS Max with latest software updates, rapid ring app version 1.13.0.2

Same for me.

Ring App is fine on Wifi and Cell networks

Rapid Ring is only streaming video on Wifi Network

I’ve uninstalled and re-installed both apps, rebooted and also reset network settings.

iPhone 11Pro running iOS 14.0.1

Ring app Version 5.31.0

Rapid Ring app version.- 1.15.1.1

Screenshots attached of successful connection via Ring app, unsuccessful connection via Rapid Ring (both whilst on cell network not Wifi) RSSI Reading on the doorbell was 57

I have the same issue. I have a strong Wi-Fi connection and doorbell is ~ 15’ from router (ASUS).
Deleted app, reset iPhone and re-installed. Same issue. The red banner across the top appears almost immediately.
I installed the app on my iPad and it works fine. While running both at the same time the live view on the phone always shows the banner while the iPad feed is perfect until it times out.

My Wi-Fi stats are:
2.4Ghz
Download - 43.47Mbps
Upload - 17.64Mbps
Ping - 26ms