Power Source Confusion.

Hi All,

I have just installed my Stick up cam and solar panel on the rear of our south-facing back garden after I had used the stick up cam indoors for a couple of days for a few days. I initially installed it yesterday with 73% battery now for some odd reason it decided to not work at all so I had to do a hard reset and this time after I had installed the solar panel lead into the cam it has convinced itself it is hard-wired to an electrical socket and it shows a green battery with a power symbol, is this correct? I appreciate the power drop to 57% is due to the installation and checking it works correctly etc. though it is a significant drop in power.

I am considering purchasing a second battery though I would rather not due to costs and the fact that Ring sell the Solar Panel as a reasonable top-up system for the battery.

So I suppose I am asking do I need to

A. change the power source selection?

B. Is the solar panel just a trickle charge or is it a reasonable source of power to charge the battery?

C. Do I need to buy another battery and was this just a neat piece of sales by Ring.

Hi @JonLeda. If the Solar Panel connection is properly seated, your app should automatically reflect that a connection is established. Once that connection is made, it will serve as a trickle charge on your battery. Depending on the level of activity your Camera sees, the trickle charge may or may not be able to “keep up” with the battery drain. Typically, if you have a strong wifi connection and you experience less than 35 events per day, the solar panel can maintain the charge.

If you don’t notice an upward trend in your battery life, feel free to contact our support team so they can look into this for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.