Our Armed Alarm Does NOT "Trip" When We Come In the Door

Hi there! We’ve got a Ring Alarm system with a few door contacts, motion sensor, as well as security cams.

The past two days, we’ve had a strange error that is similar to this report: Ring Alarm - Alarm armed away doesn't trip if open front door
(Except we don’t have any fancy door locks like that post. Our doors have standard Ring door contacts)

When we leave home, we ‘arm’ the alarm to “Away” mode. After the countdown (30 seconds for us) we get notifications on our Ring phone app that the alarm system is in fact set to AWAY.

When we come home and open the door, we DO NOT get an alarm ‘tripped’
notification. The siren doesn’t go off.

As an example, we had the alarm set to AWAY last night. We got home and opened the door. The alarm did not go off. The alarm keypad nor base station made any sounds. Yet, later that night when we went to the keypad to set the alarm to “HOME”, the keypad indicated the alarm was still set to AWAY.

So, the alarm was still in AWAY mode, even though we had come inside, opening a door (sensor), walking down the hallway (motion sensor) for 30 minutes or so.

So, if this happens, a burglar could break into our home and we’d get no notices at all! The dispatch center would not be notified. The burglars would steal all of our stuff, and when we get home, we’d find the Ring alarm still set to “AWAY”

What is going on? What should I do? Some sort of system reset?

We have not made ANY recent changes to the alarm system or app settings, so I don’t think we “broke” it. :roll_eyes:

Hi @ThisIsAStickUp. Thanks for writing out what you’re experiencing in great detail so I have a good picture of what you’re experiencing. It sounds like you might need to check and adjust what Contact and Motion Sensors are being monitored in each mode for your Ring Alarm system. If certain sensors aren’t listed as being monitored when your system is in Away mode, for example, the siren will not trigger if these sensors are tripped. You can check which sensors are being monitored in each mode by following the steps below.

1. Tap the Menu (three-lined icon on the upper left-hand side of your screen)
  2. Tap Settings
  3. Tap Modes
  4. Tap Away, or whichever mode you want to check.
  5. Tap Sensors
  6. Tap which sensors you would like monitored while in this mode.

You can find these steps along with more information on how to set the different modes with your Ring Alarm system in our Help Center Article here. If you’ve checked that and all of your sensors are showing as monitored but the siren is still not going off when these sensors are tripped and the system is armed, I would recommend bringing this concern up with our support team so they can take a deeper look at your account. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. :slight_smile: