Option to turn off Night Vision on Ring Cameras and Doorbells

When a battery spotlight cam has dual battery and solar charger it would be great if there was an option to increase the output of the night vision ir bulbs. Compared to my wired flood light cam the night vision performance borders on unacceptable/useless. I understand the constraits the battery power puts on the unit but with dual battery and solar power increased output seems like an option.

Can we please get this option. About a quarter of my cameras across two houses run into this problem, and Iā€™m close to switching to a different system since Amazon is so slow and unresponsive.

2 Likes

I also bought the ring doorbell 2 and it worked the first 3-4 days and then it switched to black and white and I can not fix it ā€¦ even a reboot does not help, what a shame ā€¦

I am able to turn off Night Vision on my Ring Stick Up Battery cameras. Did this issue get resolved for everyone else?

If so, should we have it removed from the feature request list?

1 Like

Nope, I just checked a bunch of my cameras and none of them have the ability to disable Night Vision.

1 Like

Nope, I just checked a bunch of my cameras and none of them have the ability to disable Night Vision.

Are any of yours the latest generation of Stick Up Battery Cameras and are you running the latest version of the App on IOS that came out on July 7th?

This is what I have on my Apple Iphone running IOS 13.5.1with the Ring App version of 5.28.0 released on July 7th.

Under Devices / StickUp Battery Cam 1 / Device Settings / Video Settings:

There is a button called: Infrared Lights for Night Vision

I can turn that button on or off. Underneath the button it states the following:

If your Stick Up Cam faces a window, turn this off to avoid lights reflecting back into the camera.

Are you running IOS? Because I have noticed that the Android apps take longer to get new features.

If any of your versions donā€™t match mine, that could be the reason you arenā€™t seeing this button, but especially if you are running Android.

Iā€™m running 5.28.0. My Stick Up Battery Cameras are old, bought probably a year ago?

"Iā€™m running 5.28.0. My Stick Up Battery Cameras are old, bought probably a year ago?"

Android? If so, do you have an IOS device you can test?

If itā€™s not because of Android, itā€™s probably that your cams are older and they only have the feature for the newer cams.

Does anyone else with the same hardware and software as me see the Infrared Lights for Night Vision option?

My battery stick up cams are 2 weeks oldā€¦

IOS 13.5.1

Ring App 5.28.0

Stick Up Battery Cam - Latest Generation (Model 8SC6X9-WENC - Costco)

Under Devices / StickUp Battery Cam 1 / Device Settings / Video Settings:

These are the 3 options I have listed under Video Settings :

1. Live View:
Access live video from your Ring device anytime. Enabling this option decreases battery life.

2. Tap Camera Preview for Live View:

Enable to see Live View, rather than recent events, when you tap the Camera Preview for StickUp Battery Cam 1

3. Infrared Lights for Night Vision:

If your Stick Up Cam faces a window, turn this off to avoid lights reflecting back into the camera.

Ringmaster,

I believe that you are mistaken about the how the cameras operates, when you said, ā€œI am able to turn off Night Vision on my Ring Stick Up Battery cameras ā€¦ There is a button called: Infrared Lights for Night Visionā€. The key is part is Infrared Lights for Night Vision, not for controlling Night Vision operations.

Seems many people prefer their cameras stay in the Day Mode (a much better-quality video picture than Night Mode), when there still is plenty of external lighting available.

But currently only the camera decides when to switch from Day to Night Mode (when it gets dark), and many people want to be able to decide if they want to stay in Day Mode regardless of the time of day or even while the lighting isnā€™t ideal.

The black glassy-portion of your cam (where the Blue LED can be seen when the camera is active) there are several items hidden behind this smokey plastic, which include the motion sensors and a light-sensing device (either through a photocell or some type of light-sensing process through the camera lens). When there is plenty of light, determined by the photocell (in Day Mode) your camera displays in color. When the photocell does not sense a sufficient amount of light, the camera decides on its own to go into Night Mode, and hence the black & white IR video is displayed. You cannot control when it switches between Day or Night Modes. If you can somehow brighten the viewing area a little more with external lights and provide more light for the photocell to ā€˜seeā€™, you might be able to prevent the camera from deciding to switch into the Night Mode.

As for the toggle position, it does not control when your camera ā€œDecides on its ownā€ to go into Night Mode. There is an IRfrared Light-Emitting Diode (IR LED) also hidden behind the black glassy-portion of your cam. This IR LED acts like a flashlight, casting additional IR light to illuminate the area in front of the camera so it can see better in the darkness. If you look closely at your cam, while it is active/recording in the Night Mode, you can see the red glow from it. Iā€™ve noticed that my Indoor cams only have a single IR LED just above the Blue LED, and my Stick-Up cams have two IR LEDs near the top of the black glassy-portion, (2 for brighter IR illumination since it can be used outdoor), and my video doorbell also has several IR LEDs for when it is in Night Mode. When you use your phone Ring App and go to the ā€œDevice Settingā€ of your video device, and then select ā€œVideo Settingsā€ and use the toggle ā€œInfrared Lights for Night Visionā€, all you are doing is controlling whether the IR LED will light or not, while in Night Mode. When the camera is active, toggled ON and the IR LED will turn on, and if toggled OFF the IR LED will be inoperative. The IR LED will always be inoperative when the cam is in Daytime Mode.

Some people like aiming their Indoor cameras out a window to record outdoor activity. Youā€™ll find the window glass may cause the IR flashlight to reflect/glare back at the lens too brightly. This would be a case to toggle OFF ā€œInfrared Lights for Night Vision.ā€ Additionally, you might also have to put a small piece of black electrical tape only over the Blue LED, since there is no way to turn off this Blue LED which can produce reflected glare too. Iā€™ve successfully got an indoor camera, behind a window and aimed outside, to always remain in the color Day Mode by brightly illuminating the outdoor viewing area.

The Ring Indoor Cam has an additional ā€œColor Night Visionā€ setting, and all it does is artificially add some color to provide better contrast in low-light situations. I think it works only in the Daytime Mode, when it is semi-dark but yet there is still sufficient light to keep the camera from switching into the Night Mode.

I hope this explanation clarifies what the toggle settings actually do. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Boone,

Thanks for the clarification.

I too prefer to have the majority of my security cameras indoors pointing outside through windows. Instead of relying on color night modes for cameras, Iā€™ve always just used many external IR light arrays to brighten up the entire yard with IR light instead of regular light as I prefer IR night view instead of color night views. Just a personal preference.

That said, I see where the confusion lies in this thread. On page 1, the last 2 entries at the bottom of the page are the following 2 posts:

From Abs014000: "Please do add an option to turn off the IR light altogether. I have the Ring Elite."

From leehrose: "Yes please. Tons of false motion when IR attracts moths."

I read those 2 posts and concluded that the whole thread was about disabling the IR illuminators versus IR mode, a mistake on my part.

So it looks like a couple of people are sort of combining the initial request to not only turn off the IR mode to allow color at night, but to also add in the ability to turn off the actual IR illuminators, which, I can do with my current Ring camera and application but some others were unable to do at one point in time.

Sorry for the confusion my posts have provided. So it sounds like this request is still needed afterall. I just wanted to make sure it was still needed to keep the Top 10 list streamlined. Thanks for going into the extra detail, it was very helpful.

@Ringmaster2,

You are welcome for the clarification. From what you just wrote, it seems you do like the IR Night Mode over using the Day Mode during darkness. Thatā€™s a very cool idea to use many external IR light arrays to illuminate the viewing area to enhance the Night Mode. Conversely, I preferred the color/quality of the Day Mode, so my Indoor camā€™s viewing area is very brightly lit up at night to keep the cam in the Day Mode.

Yes, this whole thread is confusing, because sometimes people are talking about the reddish IR LED light and sometimes, they are talking about the camera switching to the IR Night Mode. Some like the Night Mode and others donā€™t.

Four things I did take away from reading this thread, and the many other similar topic threads:

1. Some people want to be able to disable IR LED illuminator sometimes. And now some cams can do this by toggling ON or OFF the ā€œInfrared Lights for Night Visionā€ selection. Ring did a great job providing that additional function. Now Ring just needs to make it available on all their video camera devices including their different variant Doorbells models (Ring may already be in the process of accomplishing that).

2. People like the Day Mode for its quality and color. I also personally like the new selection option on the Ring Indoor Cam of ā€œColor Night Vision.ā€ I feel the enhanced color does improve the color contrast in low-light day situations. I hope this option becomes available for my Doorbell and Stick-Up cams soon too. And many people are happy with the cameraā€™s automatic switching to the IR Night Mode quality in dark conditions.

3. Some people want to have the choice to inhibit their cameras automatic switching to the IR Night Mode. They want to remain in the Day Mode regardless of the amount of available light in the cameraā€™s field of view (using external illumination to compensate). Currently we do not have the option available to us. The camera decides when to switch its Day/Night camera modes all on its own.

4. Everyone is different. What makes one person satisfied & happy, just isnā€™t sufficient for another. They might have different conditions/situations/needs, and therefore want a choice for someting different. Difficult to make everyone happy all of the time.

So yes, we agree ā€¦ this can be very confusing! And the request, to be able to prevent automatic switching to IR Night Mode, is still needed after all. :slight_smile:

Please provide an option to disable night vision! This a must have feature to resolve some change in the opertion of my Ring Pro video doorbell. I used to have a nice color picture of my front porch and yard but night vision has ruined the image reducing the value of what was a great product. Please develop an ā€œoffā€ mode for night vision/IR emitters. Thank you!

1 Like

Yes. Get rid of it, itā€™s HIGHLY IRRITATING. Just credit us with some sense; we do NOT need to be hand held by Ring. Give us the features so that WE can set up the device to suit OUR INDIVIDUAL requirements rather than a namny-state one size fits all solution.

1 Like

Please add this feature! Obviously there is enough community support for just coding in an off switch to the night mode. I have a useless camera at night because of the distortion the night mode creates. I would rather have a software update than switch cameras. But if this doesnā€™t come out soon Iā€™ll have to make a switch. All of your competitors have a disable optionā€¦ Really wish I would have known that before buying this camera.

1 Like

I need it off in spotlight cam, it reflects off the eve and is totally useless.

@rchildress

Could you please attach some pics of your setup coz I am thoroughly confused as to how it is that your camā€™s IR is reflecting off of your eve. Secondly, to reduce the reflection you can place some black (or some other more suitable colour) card under the eve at the spot that the IR usually hits

Please add an option to your camerasā€¦for example the Ring stick up cam battery.

Would be great if it had an option to turn off and on the infrared/night vision lights.

Why: some people place these cameras indoors on a window sill pointing outside. At night time when the infrared lights are on they reflect on the window and make the camera totally useless. Only work around is to put tape over the 2 infrared lights, which is very primitive.

I donā€™t see a reason why you donā€™t have this option, it will just make the device more flexible to use.

1 Like

The reason why this feature is needed for Ring doorbells is abundatly clear in this video posted by community member Complexity in another thread. If you want to know why so many people are complaining about video quality with IR on and why they want an option to be able to turn it off, watch this video:

https://ring.com/share/ffbb0664-2cb3-4ea4-a69f-00f8af98be21

The first thing you will notice in the video is what Ringā€™s doorbell ā€œcolor videoā€ quality looks like with IR on at night. There is actually very little color to it and the picture quality is not all that good. However, if you take a flashlight and shine it at the Ring Doorbell to trick it in to turning off the IR, the picture quality can improve dramatically both in terms of actually seeing color but also improved detail.

For the Ring engineers, watch the video and tell me which one you woud rather have, IR forced to be on at night time like is currently the situation as shown in the first part of the video or would it be better to have the option to be able to turn the IR off through the app instead tricking the IR off with a flashlight. If you watch the video it should be clear why so many people want this feature.

2 Likes

I would like to add I think a slider option in the app would be a better choice than just an IR on/off toggle if that is possible with the hardware. You could treat it similar to the motion sensitivity slider except this slider would be for choosing at what light level you want the IR to kick on. Call it the light sensivity settting. If you dont slide the slider the IR stays off. If you slide it to the first setting, IR comes on in near darkness. If you slide it to the second setting IR comes on when its a little lighter, etcā€¦ etcā€¦ This way people with different needs can set the light level that works for them regarding when the IR kicks on if at all.

1 Like

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!!

I kinda wanna throw my doorbell if I cannot turn off night mode.
The four red lights on the doorbell makes it obvious that Iā€™m filming motion in my apartment building.

Give me the option to film in incognito!

5 Likes