Notification of camera offline

This has been a requested feature for over a year, please add it. My SmartHub notifies me both when it goes offline and when it comes back online. I think this is an egregious error on Ring’s part. Why wouldn’t you think that people would want to know if their security camera is offline and be notified? Of all the BS notifications you send, the “oh, hey, this camera is unable to function” was overlooked?

Hi there. This is a serious security flaw in the Ring system. I just now noticed it even existed when my floodlight cam started disconnecting at random after a year of solid service. If this lack of notification when my security system goes down isn’t addressed in the next four weeks I will make sure every review page and social site known to man is aware of this gaping hole in my family’s security. I work in digital marketing and I can assure you my very true story with screenshots will get attention. I don’t care to do so, but the fact that this fundamental flaw has not been addressed after many requests demands it.

Please add this functionality. Our video doorbell was off-line for several days before we discovered the issue.

+1 (for ring doorbell 2)

Agree with the group. Please add feature.

Hello Ring Doorbell Product Owner(s)

Is this feature on the development roadmap?
Can you please share with us the priority?
Having Ring devices offline is the equivalent of not having any device.

Two choices:

1. improve the product by adding the feature
  2. guarantee 100% uptime

Also - FYI your competition already has offline notifications…
Thanks for your prompt attention in this matter.

Please implement offline device notifications

Agree, this should be a basic feature of the device/service. (for comparison, I have a simple sump pump monitor that provides this capability). Until this is added by Ring, I’ve set up a simple script on a local PC (on the same network as the doorbell) to ping the doorbell and email an alert if it does not respond. I’ve configured to check once a day. If interested, the script is similar to the script described in this post: shell - Script to ping every hour and email failure - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

1 Like

Really need this functionality!!!

+1 for this feature … extra robustness in the system.

Would have been nice to have this feature when someone destroyed our Floodlight Cam with a stick. Also would be nice if the siren would trigger after a certain amount of damage. Here is the video example:
https://ring.com/share/631e4fbf-5f4c-4ea3-acd7-39179d77e4e6

Geez, a year after the initial post and this still hasn’t been implemented. Disappointing because this is a necessary feature.

Extremely important and basic feature needed ASAP.

I am so disappointed!!! The main reason I got the ring was because of my special needs son who has an escape tendency. For the first few hours it was amazing because every time somebody walked out of my house I would get a notification/chime but all of a sudden at 11 PM when my husband opened the door and walked inside the house… Nothing! If I would’ve gotten an alert that the Wi-Fi was off-line I could’ve reset it but this completely makes the product useless to me. If I don’t know when it goes off-line I can’t reset it to ensure the safety of my son

1 Like

Amazing to me that a company with so much technology behind them, and server farms all over the world cannot do a simple thing like periodically ping a device. Most kids I know could write a script for this in about 15 to 20 minutes. Instead, you have to buy another device from a third party to perform this basic function. If I had known up front I would have gone with another company.

Yep I’d go with this

I am seriously stunned that i could go for some time not knowing my doorbell camera is offline (like now). No notification. Bigger yet, Ring is having a larger issue and when you get through to call support or login to Ring.com - you see a generic notice that there is a system wide issue, but rest assured, they are on it. Later getting on my desktop, saw more information about Ring.com status bit his “Live View Failure” with some details of the status (my camera actually shows offline).

Two things Ring: It’s unacceptable you don’t alert when a system wide issue occurs. That should be a high priority now. Not subscribing to an RSS Feed. Second, send an alert when a device goes offline and while doing so, fix the device health report to be at the location level and truly capture device health in a scheduled manner.

I have 8 devices at this location. Instead of buying a 9th from Ring, i may buy another product to provide redundancy.

1 Like

Exactly!! I can’t belive the oversights by this company

Yes! Exactly! This should be super easy to implement. Check the device health on a scheduled basis. Multiple times a day, at a minimum. If it doesn’t report back, the device is off-line. A notification should be sent immediately via app and email

It’s very disappointing that with nearly 40 “neighbors” on this thread, and there are others on other threads on this similar topic, and I haven’t seen one response from Ring. I have the same complaint - cameras go off line frequently and there’s no notification. To repeat what someone else said, it’s like having no camera at all. So what am I spending my money for?