Not receiving any notifications

Ever since the outage yesterday, I’ve not been receiving notifications on Android or via Alexa through the Echos. When the outage was fixed, I received a bunch of alerts each from 3 - 30 minutes apart. I am assuming that was the system catching up.

However, I have only had two persons recorded today with no other events. My second camera has captured at least 4 more events that the Ring Doorbell should have recorded or notified me of. I reset the power on my doorbell, reset all of my internet, and after testing it, it won’t even record motion (person or regular motion).

Hi @justinelton. I appreciate you letting us know what troubleshooting steps you’ve already tried. Since you have gone through basic measures such as a reset and a reboot of your router, it may be best for you to reach out to our support team directly. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They’ll be able to take a deeper look at your device and account to determine why your Doorbell is not recording as normal. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

@justinelton wrote:

Ever since the outage yesterday, I’ve not been receiving notifications on Android or via Alexa through the Echos. When the outage was fixed, I received a bunch of alerts each from 3 - 30 minutes apart. I am assuming that was the system catching up.

However, I have only had two persons recorded today with no other events. My second camera has captured at least 4 more events that the Ring Doorbell should have recorded or notified me of. I reset the power on my doorbell, reset all of my internet, and after testing it, it won’t even record motion (person or regular motion).

Hello @justinelton ,

I’ve been reading posts across several of the Community forum rooms, and there was a surge of weird malfunctions that included Doorbells ringing randomly, Chimes & Chime Pro’s sounding, camera video recording malfunctions, Notifications being ‘push’ to their App even when toggled off, periods of no video or snapshots recorded, etc. This all started on Sept 29th and 30th and afterwards. I don’t know if it is a coincidence or not, but I do suspect it has something to do with the Ring Servers “outage” that day.

https://status.ring.com/

So apparently the Ring technicians were ‘fixing’ the main Ring computer servers at about the time many of these weird issues started. Like what happened to you, many previous notifications that were stored in the Ring Servers probably started pouring out after the ‘fix.’ You were not alone. Also many devices were adversely impacted or disconnect from the Ring Server. I read post where people had to reset their devices afterwards to stop the continuing weird behavior.

Also, because your Ring App settings are not stored in your phone, but actually are stored in the Ring Servers under your Ring email account, myself and some other people had to " re-send" the stored settings back to the Ring Server, by ‘toggling’ their Notifications and Chirp Tones, ON and then back OFF (or vice-a-versa), even though the App still displayed the last known correct preference settings, in order to correct the issues. Sounds like it probably would be something for you to try, cycling your App settings to a different setting, and then back to your preferred setting (like the toggling on your “Recording” and Ring Alerts" and “Motion Alerts”). Hopefully you can avoid performing a Factory Reset (holding reset button > 20-seconds and then completing the setup and firmware download), but that would be my next step.

So I’m not positive this was the cause of your issue, but I’d be willing to bet money on it. LOL :slight_smile:

I hope this information was helpful.

2 Likes

@Boone wrote:

@justinelton wrote:

Hello @justinelton ,

I’ve been reading posts across several of the Community forum rooms, and there was a surge of weird malfunctions that included Doorbells ringing randomly, Chimes & Chime Pro’s sounding, camera video recording malfunctions, Notifications being ‘push’ to their App even when toggled off, periods of no video or snapshots recorded, etc. This all started on Sept 29th and 30th and afterwards. I don’t know if it is a coincidence or not, but I do suspect it has something to do with the Ring Servers “outage” that day.

https://status.ring.com/

So apparently the Ring technicians were ‘fixing’ the main Ring computer servers at about the time many of these weird issues started. Like what happened to you, many previous notifications that were stored in the Ring Servers probably started pouring out after the ‘fix.’ You were not alone. Also many devices were adversely impacted or disconnect from the Ring Server. I read post where people had to reset their devices afterwards to stop the continuing weird behavior.

Also, because your Ring App settings are not stored in your phone, but actually are stored in the Ring Servers under your Ring email account, myself and some other people had to " re-send" the stored settings back to the Ring Server, by ‘toggling’ their Notifications and Chirp Tones, ON and then back OFF (or vice-a-versa), even though the App still displayed the last known correct preference settings, in order to correct the issues. Sounds like it probably would be something for you to try, cycling your App settings to a different setting, and then back to your preferred setting (like the toggling on your “Recording” and Ring Alerts" and “Motion Alerts”). Hopefully you can avoid performing a Factory Reset (holding reset button > 20-seconds and then completing the setup and firmware download), but that would be my next step.

So I’m not positive this was the cause of your issue, but I’d be willing to bet money on it. LOL :slight_smile:

I hope this information was helpful.

I know what you mean. I started getting all that weird behavior around that time frame. I cleared the apps cache, uninstalled, restarted, reinstalled and still had the weird issues. I checked the Ring status and thats when I noticed the service outages.

When everything returned to “normal” I had to do what you did. I just went through and re-toggled all the settings, reset the motion sensitivity, and then it was truly back to normal. Not sure what they did, but ever since then, my camera and app have been working the best they ever have since I got the camera a month ago.

2 Likes

@ren-dnb ,

So after re-toggling all your settings, “have been working the best they ever have since I got the camera a month ago” . . . well that’s great news and kind of makes it worth the hassle to you then! :slight_smile: LOL :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that! Although some people did device resets to fix their issues, I was lucky enough to avoid that on my few affected devices, which only needed to be ‘unplugged’ and then ‘re-plugged’ back into the house outlet. And then the re-toggling of some of my affected settings on my Ring App got the remaining issues. Cool cool!

1 Like

@Boone wrote:

@ren-dnb ,

So after re-toggling all your settings, “have been working the best they ever have since I got the camera a month ago” . . . well that’s great news and kind of makes it worth the hassle to you then! :slight_smile: LOL :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that! Although some people did device resets to fix their issues, I was lucky enough to avoid that on my few affected devices, which only needed to be ‘unplugged’ and then ‘re-plugged’ back into the house outlet. And then the re-toggling of some of my affected settings on my Ring App got the remaining issues. Cool cool!

LOL I did go through some frustration with the camera. I think part of it was learning the personality of the spotlight cam battery version, and just me having some expectations that were too high for this version of the camera. But, after some trial and error and getting the mounting spot right after my gutter mount broke, it was working great before the outage a couple of days ago.

But after the outage, and everything returned to normal, I rebooted the camera just by popping the battery out, and re-toggled the settings. Now its perfect lol. Can’t wait to get my doorbell cam, and cam for the backyard.

2 Likes