No more Ring Desktop

This is a terrible unaceptable decision, I monitor my cameras from my desktop and it has been perfect. The ring webpage does not have the features i need. I do not use my phone while i am at home because i live in an area with very poor phone coverage. I purchased your products knowing there was a desktop app. Removing it makes your hardware useless to me, Again unaceptable

5 Likes

I use my ring cameras to view the boundaries of the property where I live and watch the cameras on my 7 pcs during the day depending on what I am doing and where I am at the time. NOW… ring is cancelling this ability for me to protect myself. If so, I’d like to return my 10 cameras and buy some system with will continue to protect me and my family here in the hood as Ring used to do. How do I return my cameras to Ring and get my money back since their cameras will be worthless to me. Thanks, John

6 Likes

First you have to go through the hassle of logging in just to find out that the web version is missing several important features available on the desktop. Then if you use Safari you are told that your Mac browser won’t work and to install a different browser. The dingbat-idiott that decided to not support desktop versions will probably get a promotion for his/her stupidity. I can see no value in buying additional Ring products under these circumstances and will slowly replace them with other brands.

5 Likes

I’ve very ticked off that they are removing it, while buggy I don’t want to have another browser window going just for Ring. I work from home and need quick access plus don’t need a website going draining on my browser resources. I just cannot login quickly because I have to do the 2FA each time, this is just plain frustrating to say the least.

2 Likes

Just click on the camera in the dashboard and that should open live view.

Then this will be no longer fit for purpose. it as if Amazon is trying to Destroy Rings reputation.
I bought this as I’m now working from home and stuck in front of my computer all day. It alerts me to the fact someone is at my door and I can quickly see who it is and whether I need to stop working.

I bought this with the knowledge from Ring, that there will be a desktop app. I feel totally let down by Amazon, Thank god I didn’t invest any more money in the alarm system I was looking at.

4 Likes

What a very bad decision.
The Mac app was /is working perfect!: We are working the whole day with a desktop Mac at our office and every time when a carrier comes to the door of our house, a Mac window pops up with the live view!
Why does Ring this super option want to kill?? Very stupid.
Hopefully there are Ring competitors who understand that people need this.

4 Likes

Totally agree that this is such a bad decision.
Running a business and having Ring there on your screen is hugely important and how I access Ring for all deliveries. This is a real loss to a service and I would implore Ring to re-consider or at least supply a reason as to why this service is to be removed as opposed to just saying that’s it - tough!

5 Likes

This also comes at very daft time, with the increase in people working from home. It so counter intuitive and is most likely down to Amazon and its complete lack of understanding of its users.

Perhaps we can keep this thread growing and they might listen.

6 Likes

Does anybody from Ring/Amazon read this forum? are they able to give us an explanation of the rationale for ending the App?

This really is the wrong way to go.

2 Likes

It didn’t when I tried last night - it went straight to History.

I tried it just now, and you are right. It is there now. But it apparently won’t work while the app is running. Shutting the app down, and it did work.

1 Like

It’s going to be a money issue. Not having to run and maintain the app is cheaper (just as cutting live view from minutes to seconds would have been when they did that without any warning).

Given that the Ring hardly operates flawlessly at the best of times (or rather, it only operates flawlessly at the best of times, and those are not exactly the norm with WiFI), removing this convenience of the app is a step too far for me.

2 Likes

So annoyed about this, I’m actually thinking of quitting Ring and going for something that works on Desktop. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage: :triumph:

1 Like

Hi Ring,
Really??

I use the desktop app to monitor the front of my house during the day for deliveries and solicitors. I work from home, don’t have a clear view of my driveway, the continual camera updates are critical for monitoring. This had been an invaluable part of why I purchased Ring. I am seriously considering abandoning my investment with you and going to another business.

Using your app is really not even close to replacing live time updates… Note, it takes up to 30 seconds to “warm” up your app, get a visual on what is going on outside. I end up answering the door before I can see an image from your slow app. The monitoring from my desk app made your product viable.

Good luck with keeping customers and getting new ones. Phone based apps are not good for quick real time response. Please keep the app, publish your api’s for camera shots or even let us capture images in live time in our own servers and cut you out completely. That way you can cut costs and increase your profit margin. It will give us back what we expect/need from your product.

8 Likes

Bad move ring. I logged in this morning on my desktop just like I do every morning to see if there was any activity on any of my cams. There were no more videos listed on my desktop dashboard. All I could do is click on a camera and live view. I never use my phone unless I have to the desktop is a much better view. I am in the protect plan and was about to pull the trigger on an alarm system. When my protect plan runs out I will not renew. Time to migrate to another system. Bad move ring. I understand in October they are doing away with the desktop.

2 Likes

I agree, BAD MOVE! More control features on the desktop app and I cannot take my phone to every place that I work at.

2 Likes

Really disappointed with Ring. I got multiple cameras and on the Protect Plus which I’ve elected not to renew in order to buy competitors products that can give me the ability to view from within an app in Windows because I rarely have my phone to hand when working at my laptop.

And no, I’m not interested in logging via the webpage every time I want to see something, as by the time I faffed about with login and 2FA, the moment’s gone.

Pretty short-sighted move - Ring, please reconsider.

3 Likes

Sorry I started a 2nd post so i’ll add it on here. Finding anything in this community is a slog.
Why is Ring dropping the desktop apps on 15 Oct 21? Is so, I guess the bigger question is why do I still use ring products? I use the Mac desktop app (buggy as it is) WAY more than on a phone. Is there a GOOD valid reason for taking this step to remove use of a product on anything other than a phone?
I can’t see constantly logging on to a site just to view my camera’s.

5 Likes

Terrible move on Ring’s part, I’m probably going to return mine and go with Google

1 Like

I am very upset about this. I would have never purchased Ring had it not had a desktop. What happens when people don’t have a smart phone. I know many people who do not have one. This is total nonsense. The Ring Powers That Be need to rethink this. I am on my computer most of the day so I just the desktop all day. Plus when you log into the website, you have to go through the 2 step authentication to be able to see who is at the door. Very time consuming. I recommend ring to 3 people and the purchased it on my recommendations. Now I feel like an ■■■■■. You are taking something away that was purchased

3 Likes