My ring doorbell is hardwired but showing a low battery why?

Same issue here, gen 2 for 2 years hardwired now showing battery and drained everyday, not able to charge. Start happening couple days ago. Today I change it to my back up gen 2 ring doorbell that I bought when on sale just in case the first one got damage. The new gen 2 I installed showed the same thing not hardwired only on battery, I double checked the hardwired installation and nothing is wrong with the wiring, check with the voltage meter everything shows green light with enough juice . What is going on RING???

Same issue here. New York here temps in the 80s. Show hardwired 2-3 days ago no showing battery only.

I just check the Apple app store. It shows there was an update 4 days ago Ver # 5.42.0. I thing the app update is to blame.

1 Like

Mine has gone back to saying hardwired & having the charging symbol through the battery!

2 Likes

Mine is OK too this morning after about 3-4 days of not charging and indicating I was not hardwired.

This is the 2nd time in 3 years hardwire goes screwy, no admission of an issue by Ring, but just “check your wiring and internet”. So people waste their life checking when it’s clearly either an app or firmware upgrade that is of poor QA implemented.

I did nothing on this occasion and it fixed itself, so I know it’s not my setup/doing that created or fixed the problem.

I just wish Ring would be more rigorous in testing stuff and transparent when they find an issue and fix plan.

Totally would not buy another product from this company until that happens.

2 Likes

Same here. Suddenly after showing as “Battery” and “Solar Status: Connected” (we aren’t using solar charging, never have), it’s suddenly returned to saying “Hardwired” and charging again.

My Doorbell 3 Plus went from 85% to 15-20% in a matter of minutes one day (Home Assistant logs show the battery loss). I contacted Ring who told me to factory reset it and to disable practically every useful feature on it and monitor it for 8 days. Now it is re-charging but clearly they did something as it’s now back saying hardwired also and working. With all these issues happening at the same time as all you guys it’s clearly something they did, not us.

I can only assume they pushed out a firmware update that basically broke everything.

I have to say if I knew the issues I would have with a Ring doorbell I would have gone with a different brand. Put me off buying another Ring product. How long until my doorbell drains itself again and fails?

2 Likes

I have had my ring doorbell 2 for a while without problems. After firmware update, no charging or ringing my mechanical doorbell.

Ring offer me a 35% off code for a new doorbell. What a scam!

2 Likes

Same issue here for some months with video doorbell 2. Says battery operated and not ringing my mechanical bell. Was working perfectly for at least 2 years before the firmware bug from Ring was installed. Now i got 3rd time warning on low battery that has to be recharged by USB within few months, while it never needed any usb recharge during past 2 years.
Voltage is ok at terminals for wires, and mechanical bell ring if i shortcircuit wires.

Guess i should throw away the Ring video doorbell and stop my subscription, to replace it with something that will make my mechanical bells sound again.

1 Like

I have the same issue with a Ring 3. I replaced the entire unit a month ago, but the battery drops rapidly EVEN if I shut the device off (i.e. no alerts, no live feed, no notifications, no motion detection). Yes it shows “hardwired” and the green icon with the lightning bolt. My transformer seems to provide the proper power - when checked with my voltage meter. Climate is not an issue. I’m thinking I need to change to a “wired” unit - the battery unit description is misleading. Having said all of that, I have an identical unit at a frigid northern location, with the exact same setup and it works flawlessly (1yr. so far).

Not to sound like a broken record BUT… Same issue. Doorbell 2 worked fine for 2+ years hardwired… Suddenly it stopped showing hardwired and wasn’t charging. I have the extended warranty plan, so I called Ring and had to explain how the device worked to their ‘technical support’. Eventually, they decided a new device was required and they replaced my Doorbell 2 with another… Installed the replacement and I have the same issues; not showing hardwired and won’t activate my mechanical chime indoors.

Clearly something is up… Really hoping Ring figures this out soon and it doesn’t become another lawsuit like Apple had with their battery saga.

2 Likes

Still no resolution for me either!! Why won’t the RING people answer these problems? All occurred after the update a few weeks ago! VERY FRUSTRATING!

1 Like

I tried to replace my old 8V 16VA transformer, that was working perfectly until Ring installed the FW bug, with a new 12V 25VA transformer today, but still not working. This is highest voltage that my mechanical chimes can take, and biggest size of transformer that I could physically fit in current location.
Time to cancel subscription at Ring and order different brand next week.

3 Likes

Same thing here. ring video door2 worked great for two years then about two weeks ago it no longer is being charged. I changed out the transformer and resistor- still dropping !

1 Like

Since my last post I did try to change out the transformer as well which didn’t remedy the issue.

This is terrible.

After numerous attempts, Hours on the phone, changing transformer, reboots, upgrades, and all the issues, I fought and got a refund then bought an Arlo.

For those ditching Ring now due to the issues - Arlo was easy to install, and works great! Would have stayed with Ring if the addressed the issue and fixed it.

3 Likes

Bought an Arlo - No issues. RIng could not fix the problem. I wasted so much time with them. 2 wonderful years with my Ring 2 and not a glitch. Then what ever upgrade they did, ruined it.

2 Likes

STILL having issues and it’s draining faster than a few weeks ago… RING FIX THIS ISSUE! Over 2 years maintenance free hard wired and then a few weeks ago, update, and now battery is draining!! FIX IT!

3 Likes

I am having the exact same issue, a ring doorbell 3 that was happily charging at high 90’s for months is now at 21% & losing more each day.
Like many others i purchased the wired version to negate the need to charge a battery when the charge is expelled.
Snapshots have never been enabled on my device, purely due to the warning that it will drain the battery life.
This is 100% due to a firmware update, the lack of any assistance from Ring is actually making Microsoft look good. At least they acknowledge & fix issues.

3 Likes

Seriously, return it and get a new doorbell. This has been an issue for months. Unacceptable.

2 Likes

Exactly how many of us need to report the same problem before Ring Tech support acknowledges they introduced a bug in their latest upgrade? I am looking at other products to replace all of my ring products. Seriously Ring, you used to have great tech support but not any more. And Marley_Ring stop posting useless suggestions and acknowledge that there is a system problem and fix it!

6 Likes