My ring doorbell is hardwired but showing a low battery why?

I have 4 outdoor cameras that run on 24-40vbc and Wi-Fi and not one problem in 7yrs

1 Like

I’m getting the same thing on my doorbell; looks like I’ll have to give it a boost charge over night as the cold weather has played havoc with the amount of power it has retained. What a terrible design… if I’ve gone to the effort to hardwire it you’d think it’d just power it like any other doorbell :frowning:

6 Likes

I am facing the exact issue with ring pro , did you find a solution.

I have the exact same problem, weather and cold can’t be the problem. I live in the Northwest, our weather this year is no different than it has been the last two years. I have had my ring 2 doorbell hardwired over two years and never had a problem with battery level till recently. Something must have changed with one of the updates that is causing a larger power drain on the battery.

5 Likes

I have a Ring Doorbell 3 and this just started on mine as well it’s been hardwired for over a year and now shows the battery is critically low. If I check the device health in the app, it used to show “hardwired” and now shows “battery”. This better not be a software update that stops us from using the home wiring and forces me to buy a solar charger or second battery.

3 Likes

Well that is the COMPLETELY opposite of what support has told me today.
They stated EMPHATICALLY on 3 occasions 3 different advisors IT WILL NOT CHARGE HARD WIRED AND WILL NOT SHOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN BATTERY [not hard wired or lightening bolt through battery] and it will have to be removed for charging especially if the voltage is on the lower end of the scale. SO a trade descriptions issue cured as they admit it does not function [gen 2 model]

Same exact problem. My Ring Doorbell 2 has been hardwired for 2 years. Now it says battery and it’s down to 85%. What has changed???

3 Likes

I have the same issue too. I have the Ring Doorbell 2. Hardwired since October 2018 without any problems. Battery percentage never dropped and it’s never needed charging.

yesterday I got an alert saying the battery needs charging because it’s at 15% and now it’s at 3%.

2 Likes

I had a Ring video doorbell 2 a few weeks ago. After I fully charged the battery and use it without hardwired, it will consume around 3% of battery power per day. When the battery power was dropped to 87%, I put a connector with the charging wire to an 24V AC transformer. The device indicated that it is Hardwired. After two days of usage, I removed the charging connector and the device is showing 100% charged battery. However, the battery power lever is dropping very fast. It went from 100% to 87% within an hour. Then it will continue to consume less power just like before the charging (around 3% per day). I repeat the process (at 75% level, hardwired charging till 100% reached, remove charging wire, use battery power, within a short time, it dropped back to 75%) and found that the hardwired charging seems to be only a symbolic charging. The battery is not really getting charged (or the charged level is not really reflecting the actual battery power level). That’s the most possible explanation about the fast dropping of battery level (to the point of before charging) after charging ‘complete’.

Hopefully, the information gathered could help the staff of Ring to fix the issue ASAP.

3 Likes

I have the same issue - my Doorbells are gen1 - 5x of them, bought at different times, some years apart from the 1st one - now suddenly they are all showing up as battery either below 25% or at 0%. All hardwired - can’t express more frustration - does it mean that now I have to go replace all batteries, its ridiculous .

3 Likes

Yesterday my 4-year old hardwired Gen1 doorbell started showing battery (not hardwired), and battery dropped ~ 25% during the day today. I have it off charging now. Cold is NOT the issue, as I live in Florida. It has NOT been excessively hot, either. I have NEVER had to charge it since I installed it.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue with the ring doorbell hardwired but shows battery low and Live feed turns off… I live in Florida so the cold isn’t the problem… haven’t had an issue since I installed it 3 years ago…
I wonder if Ring did a firmware update that maybe causing the battery drain… reminds me when Apple sent their update for the older phones causing the batteries to drain quickly…
I think they got sued for that since most people were told they need to buy newer phones

3 Likes

I have a new Ring Doorbell 3, I fully charged it with the USB and connected it to be hardwired.
I see the battery symbol with the lightning bolt in the middle but the battery is not sufficiently charging at all, it is now at 68% and still falling.
It is clear that whatever ‘logic’ you have applied to the ‘trickle charge’ is flawed and when hardwired the battery is not charging correctly.
This is clearly an issue and is certainly not ‘Solved’ looking at the many reports from your customers.
I am in the UK and the recent temperatures are around 10 degrees celcius so not too cold or too hot.
Ring really need to take notice of these reports and fix this issue or they will soon be out of business as people move to one of the many other providers out there!!

7 Likes

Exactly the same issue here. It has been fine for at least 2 years and now the battery is draining! WTF

2 Likes

Updates: it seems in my case it was indeed cold, it was freezing temperatures and now after its warmed up a bit - I started seeing my batteries slowly being charged. Perhaps I was too fast to report.

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and two Ring stick up cams outside powered by Wasserstein solar panels. The stick ups have given me problems from day one. I had to buy a wifi extender thinking that would satisfy them. I was wrong.

And now the doorbell is telling me that the battery is low after a year and a half. We had winter the first week of February, so the cold is not an issue. Our highs have been in the 70s. If weather were an issue then it would have croaked in August when it’s broiling.

Charging it now and waiting to see how long it will last.

I don’t have the patience to fiddle with arbitrary technology. And I’m not loyal to brand.

1 Like

Ring Doorbell 3 now at 40% and still falling, hardwired and lightning symbol is showing in battery icon, battery icon is now amber, not green.
I’m afraid this will be getting returned for a refund, clearly Ring are lying when they say hardwiring trickle charges the battery, this week the temperature has been between 10 and 20 degrees celsius and the battery has drained quicker than ever, this is false advertising and misleading!
Time to try Nest doorbell instead.

3 Likes

This is really dishearting. I have 2 Ring Door Bells 2. Installed and hard-wired for 2 years and now the same problem. The cold is NOT the problem, it has been getting warm the last several weeks and now it’s showing low battery. I did pull the unit and check the voltage and it’s right in the rang of recommended voltage.
Anyone got a believable response from Ring?

6 Likes

I am having the same issue. Glad I came here to see it’s not just me. Ring video doorbell 3 here. Never had this issue with my series 2. All my devices have been hardwired since day one. First time I’ve ever had to remove the battery.
I am charging the battery now and removed the device, will reinstall and hard reset and see how it goes.

4 Likes

So all of these similar comments/complaints have been posted within the last month and a half. Some units a couple years older than others. All different gens. So hey, RING! This is you not us! Mine just started doing this the last week. What’s up?!answers please!

8 Likes