Multiple Notifications for the Same Event

yep, same here despite shutting off advanced motion detection and other suggested fixes.

my apple watch is like a slot machine, with multiple notifications, and repeated images being displayed from the ring camera.

please make it stop!

4 Likes

Happening to me also. I get one notification for motion and then another for the same event with a small picture preview and then another with the motion alert all for the same event. Highly annoying and nothing fixes it!!!

1 Like

I had to stop my Ring alerts on my Apple Watch because I kept getting alerted multiple times in a row, I never count it but it was like 6 times at least. It was so disruptive and annoying that I had to remove the notifications altogether.

As for my phone, it’s the iPhone XR, I get 2 alerts, one with just a notification one with a little picture in it.

It’s driving me crazy. How has this not been fixed yet?!?!

3 Likes

Reiterating the post from 11/22 where it was suggested to turn off Rich Notifications under Smart Alerts in the app. I was able to compress each event down to one notification from the Ring App.

Has this problem been solved for anyone? I’ve done all this nonsense and nothing has worked. It’s obnoxious that Ring makes you call and talk to someone about this issue, do it over chat like everyone else does. I’m about to throw these devices out and buy something better.

This issue just started happening with me this morning. Not sure what caused it.

1 motion event results in 6 alerts for that event

I am having this exact same frustrating issue that is really devaluing this product, especially as our family pays for the professional monitoring.

I have 1 battery powered outdoor camera, 1 outlet powered outdoor camera, 1 battery powered doorbell camera. None of these have Advanced Motion Detection enabled. I use my Apple Watch and iPhone only for alerts. I get 7-8 buzzes per notification on my Apple Watch and only a single alert on my iPhone.

I’ve tried many fixes listed on this thread, but it’s clear that the only thing to stop the multiple Watch notifications is to turn off Rich Notifications . Ring should never have let the Rich Notification feature go live if it was not ready. Your competitors like Nest have had the Rich Notifications as a Standard feature since the get go.

Today, I was trying to pick up a phone call on my Apple Watch - but I had so many duplicate notifications popping up, I missed the call. Ring has been blowing up my Watch like crazy!

2 Likes

Same issue here, just got a new Apple SE watch for Christmas and there are 5 or 6 multiple and immediate notifications that come through one on top of the other without pausing (like OP, multiple on my watch but only one on my iPhone). I have to wait for the last one before I can dismiss the notification, sleep the ring, or use my watch. Highly annoying. I turned off Rich Notifications which stopped the issue. However, on their ring support site, they don’t even have the correct instructions on where to turn off the rich notifications feature. I found it on my iPhone ring app, dashboard, then clicked three lines in top left corner. From there, click on the device name, and scroll down to the options in the middle of the screen, choose Smart Alerts, and then disable Rich Notifications. Once I turned it off, watch notifications come through just once, but they are not as useful without the preview. This feature is not ready for prime time on the Apple Watch. My apple watch, app, and iPhone operating system are all running current versions as of Dec 30, 2020.

What is interesting is that I have inside cameras too and having rich notifications turned on is not a problem. Just one notification with the screenshot. It’s only with my doorbell. I also am on iPhone 11 with latest iOS 14.3.

Same issue. Thought it was just us and it’s been driving us both crazy. Apple watches 4 notifications / iPhones 2 notifications per event. Please fix your app.

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, get a normal notification then the rich notification. After reading the support article, it reads like it’s working how ring want it to work…

In some cases, in order to ensure you receive notifications as fast as possible, you may receive multiple notifications. A regular notification to your smartphone will be sent as soon as possible and then that notification will be updated with an image.

It’a not in some cases. It’s in EVERY case! The notification isn’t updated with the image, it’s an additional notification. Devs need to look into the timing of this. Understand that notifications need to be a priority, but I’ve not know a notification with the image to not be instant!

Yep this is bugging me too. Two notifications on my iPhone each time someone uses the door! The workaround is pointless as the rich notification function is useful. Please please sort this out RING!!

1 Like

Since there is no way of saying “I have this problem too” in this forum, just adding a response to say…I have this [frustrating] problem as well.

Further frustrating that Ring is suggesting it’s an issue on users’ ends and not the app, despite the number of people who are experiencing the same issue.

This, in addition to recent hardware issues I’ve been having, makes me question if Ring grew quicker than it could keep up with on the quality side. Hoping a resolution is provided soon.

I like everyone else have a real problem, which started with the recent update. Every time the motion detector triggers on front door I get multiple 5 or 6 sequential alerts on my Apple Watch. This is making the thing useless. A temporary solution is to disable smart alerts. This must be fixed soon or we will all be trashing the devices for another brand. Well done Ring / Amazon it was working fine for two years.

1 Like

Having this problem as well. It’s driving me crazy and defeats the purpose of the ring. The notifications are only set in my iPhone. I’m taking off the Rich Notifications to see if that works which really makes this great feature useless.

Anyone else also finding that they are getting a lot of notification outside of their motion zone settings?

I get double notifications every time the garage door opens and closes. It’s identical. It started doing this a few months back. My motion detection isn’t picking up my husband leaving at 3:30am every morning either, which I find strange. It should be recording him.

FIX:

1. Click on the hamburger menu (top left three lines) from Ring app.
  2. Devices
  3. Select your Ring Doorbell
  4. Device Settings
  5. Notification Settings
  6. Rich Notifications
  7. Toggle off Rich Notifications

Really wish Ring would update their site with these steps.

1 Like

You guys have got to be kidding!!! Dozens of complaints which are exactly the same concering multiple notifications that has been going on for months!!! And you mark it resolved?

Where is the solution?

2 Likes

Support for this issue is inadequate and shockingly unhelpful. I’ve watched the various posts about this issue for weeks. It’s a known issue and still unresolved. I receive at least 4 alerts for the same motion event on my Apple Watch. When I called in for support a few minutes ago, the escalated advisor got into an argument with me about supporting an Apple Watch, telling me that he doesn’t work for Apple and that the best thing I can do is unpair and repair the watch to my phone. He didn’t care about my experience, didn’t show an ounce of empathy, and didn’t even try to help beyond giving me generic advice. Why am I paying for the Ring service again???

1 Like