Motion Verification

Hi,
I’ve seen references to a feature called “motion verification” which basically stops the video recording when the camera no longer senses the motion that initially triggered it.

Supposedly there’s an on/off toggle switch in the app, but I don’t see it in any of my various cameras’ motion settings.

One or two of my cameras has had issues with this though, where the recording cuts off prematurely because the motion has stopped (or the camera isn’t detecting it). I have recording length set specifically to 90 seconds, but motion verification seems to be overriding it.

So anyway, how do we deactivate motion verification and make our cameras record for the full length of time we set it to?

Most recently I’m having this issue on a hardwired doorbell cam. I’ve noted the issue on my spotlight cam battery/solar as well.

2 Likes

Hey @bluedialer. If you have a battery-powered Ring device and you switched to Advanced Motion Detection, you will no longer see the option for Motion Verification in your Ring app because it is now a part of this feature. More information on Advanced Motion Detection can be found in this Help Center Article here. If you find that your recorded events are being clipped and not recording to the length that you have set them to you will need to turn Advanced Motion Detection off to turn off what was originally called Motion Verification. I hope this information helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, as I mentioned my video doorbell wired is behaving this way. It is not a battery device. As such, Ring support sent me a replacement, but it still cuts off recording 5 seconds after it thinks there’s no one there. Other users have confirmed theirs does this too. Seems this is just how it is. A wired device should not be doing this since it’s not saving battery, but it’s just compromising the security footage. Ring Tech Support doesn’t think it should be this way either, since they sent me a replacement. At least we should be able to toggle off this motion verification behavior… alas we cannot.

1 Like

Hi @bluedialer! Thank you for clarifying this detail with us. As you have Video Doorbell Pro, this help center article about recording length on wired devices will be of great assistance. There are steps for altering recording length and motion verification.

If you want to turn your Motion Verification on or off, follow these steps:

• Open your Ring app
  • Tap the three lines on the top left of the Dashboard screen.
  • Tap Devices .
  • Select the device you want to adjust.
  • Tap Motion Settings.
  • Tap Motion Verification.
  • Toggle the Motion Verification button on or off.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the new Ring Video Doorbell Wired, not the Pro. But they’re said to have similar functionality.

That help page is inaccurate about the setting to turn on/off Motion Verification in the device’s motion settings. There is no such option for any of my camera devices which includes the video doorbell wired, indoor cam, spotlight cam wired, and spotlight cam battery (not using advanced motion detection).

There is no option anywhere in my Ring Android app to turn on/off Motion Verification for any of my devices. If anybody reading this looks, do you actually see this option in your app?

2 Likes