Motion detection not as good

I’ve had a Ring doorbell 2 for a little over a year now. It was working great up until a week ago, when I started noticing it wasn’t detecting motion events as frequently as before. It used to detect every package delivery, but now it detects maybe 1 in 3. I called Ring support, and they walked me through resetting motion fields and frequency, and it will detect motion right after the changes, but then go back to failing. I’ll test it by walking right in front of it, and it won’t detect me most of the time. I changed the frequency from “standard” to “frequent” and am hoping that does the trick, but I’m wondering if there’s any reason why it’s not detecting motion as well anymore?

Update: After a day of it set to “frequent” motion detection, the Ring failed to detect another package dropoff and me WALKING IN FRONT of the doorbell to get the package. Something is definitely wrong. This seems to be a frequent issue in the forums. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone had luck getting a replacement unit?

Hey @Lelando00. Thank you for letting me know what you’ve tried so far and how that has worked for you. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your Motion Zones, motion sensitivity slider, and Motion Frequency settings in the Ring App? I’d be happy to take a look and see if there are any suggestions I can make to improve the motion detection for your Doorbell. :slight_smile:

Sure thing. Here you go.

I also did a factory reset this morning. I figured that’s the next logical step, so we’ll see if that does anything.

@Lelando00 I appreciate you taking the time to share those screenshots here. I would recommend adjusting the motion sensitivity slider up more so the Ring’s motion detection is more sensitive. Additionally, how high is your Doorbell mounted? We typically recommend for our Doorbells to be mounted no higher than 48 feet from the ground, but if there are steps leading up to your front door, then this can also impact the motion detection. You may also want to look into utilizing a Wedge Kit to help angle your Doorbell’s view down slightly so its line of sight is focused directly on your walkway and porch, which will prevent things in the street or farther out from impacting the motion detection.

If none of these suggestions prove helpful in improving the motion detection on your Doorbell, it would be best for you to reach out to our support team directly. They’ll be able to take a closer look and provide more in-depth troubleshooting steps to find a resolution. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I have the exact same problem. I have tried adjust the motion field all the way up. It just catches traffic on the street but not all deliveries.

Same for me. For a few months. All settings are maximal sensitivity. Doorbell 2 I have was purchased barely one year ago from a Amazon.

Mine seems to be better now that the temperature is a bit cooler, so I’m guessing maybe it was bad at picking up motion when the temps were a little warmer?

Re: Motion detection not as good