MOTION DETECTION IS BROKEN !!!

This is really not acceptable.

The ring device (2020 version) only detects motion which is within a few feet of the device. This is a relatively new development.

The option of the user setting a distance for motion detection was taken away and replaced with custom zones. THEY DON’T WORK.

Is there any sort of quality control at the ring organization ?

Update : I spent more than 1 hour 15 minutes on the phone with support this morning. The very nice young lady and I experienced the problem together. We reset the device, we confirmed the firmware was the latest. I spoke with her supervisor. He was very nice as well. He had heard of the issue but had not had to deal with it himself. He would forward the information along.

I learned somethings along the way. As some of you may know, there is a new option of ‘motion sensitivity’. Well when you create a motion zone you MUST explicitly reset the motion sensitivity slider as desired. The gui may show you your old setting (max in my case) but that is not reality.

So - apparently my doorbell is not a ‘version 2’ as I have been referring to it. It is the 2020 version of the original ring doorbell. I’ve no idea if all versions of the doorbell have the motion issue. But my doorbell is broken and at this moment although it has been confirmed I have no idea if there will be a solution. At one point the suggestion was made to replace the doorbell - but it is not the doorbell’s problem but rather the software they send to it…

Hi @charlies. You still have the option to adjust the motion sensitivity via the slider in the Ring App, in addition to customizing your Motion Zones. You can read more about this in our Help Center Article here. If you find that your Doorbell is not detecting motion, try increasing the sensitivity on the motion sensitivity slider. I hope that helps clear things up! :slight_smile:

Hi Caitlyn. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear. As per your ring support person in the Philipines - you MUST reset the sensitivity slider when you make any changes to the motion zones. In my case it showed set at max (which on the support side would have been 10 out of 10). The young lady said it gets set to a default of 1 out of 10 if you change a zone BUT (and this is the key) the information shown to the user is NOT updated and they will still see the OLD setting.

In my case this morning we set the gauge to ‘min’, saved it, and then set it to ‘max’, and saved it. She then confirmed the setting was saved properly on her side.

Hope this help !