"Mode Change Failed" in Android App

@alex14641

Agreed, this problem seems to keep reappearing. They fixed it for a while. Then it seems with app updates, it reappears; disappears; reappears…

I just checked and was able to trigger it twice by changing from Wi-Fi to cellular (and back). Although, it used to be that I had to close down the app. Now if I give it a few seconds, it seems that once the app finds a new network, it allows me to change the mode without having to close app. I am using a Samsung Note 10.

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences with us, neighbors. This mode change error should not be happening, especially to the extent of needing to force close the Ring app. When switching between communication methods (wifi/ mobile data) it may take a moment for the mobile device to process and the Ring app to recognize connection change.

If your Ring app is still showing this error, or seemingly not connecting when switching your mobile phone’s communication method, please check the app store for any updates. The most current Ring app version for Android is 3.30.0 and IOS is 5.30.0. I recommend also removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device.

As Android devices are mentioned most often here, please ensure there are not any apps installed that might conflict with the Ring app, and vpn is not enabled. If this concern persists in the manner of requiring an app force close, showing error that never resolves, or never reconnecting for the mode change due to connection change, please share a screen recording of this.

When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated. Thank you!

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Ring app seems to have fixed the issue for me. Haven’t had the problem for two days, even when switching between cellular and wi-fi networks.

1 Like

The answers given by Ring don’t work. I have spent an hour just trying to change Modes. This is a long term problem and old answers have failed. Has anyone really tried to fix this? It fails to save changes and will not change modes. I have uninstalled it, foced stop, changed routers, and emptied my brain of expletives to no avail. I was happy with the system, but am ready to junk it. Is there a fix?

I am also running 5.33 on IOS 14.2 and have this issue. Tried reinstalling application after deleting data and still the issue persists. Please kindly advise and raise with your development team. It is a real inconvenience.

I was seeing this every time I accessed the Ring application using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android).

The problem seems to have been solved by adding both Ring and Rapid Ring to the App Power ManagementApps that won’t be put to sleep list.

When added, these apps will continue to run in the background. Otherwise, when you access the Ring application after a period of inactivity, apparently it has to establish comms with either the cloud or your Ring base station through your LAN/WiFi (I am not certain how these comms are handled). The time required to complete this communications link is apparently what’s causing the (justified) appearance of the message “this it taking longer than expected”.

1 Like