Mobile data usage spike using Android app when connected to Wi-Fi

Marley,

You were asking about other phones “does it only happen on the android device you are using”.

I can confirm the same behavior using Ring 3.46.0 on my Samsung S10e running Android 11 and on my wife’s iPhone 7+ running OS 14.8.

As noted in the other posts this bug has a material impact on customers as it can quickly consume large amounts of data thereby increasing cost and / or limiting access to data for other purposes.

Thank you for your help raising this issue.
Stu

1 Like

What Ring app version is everyone experiencing this on with Android?

@TJH2020
I’m using 3.47.0

1 Like

Has anybody received update from Ring on data usage while on Wifi?

1 Like

Ring doesn’t give a $#!t about you, or your problem. They have no intention of fixing it.

1 Like

I have an Motorla G7 power android 11 was using data while on wifi. I changed preferred network type from lte to global and now my phone is only using wifi on live view. My other phone Samsung S21 on android 12 does not have this setting.

2 Likes

After more testing my phones with android 11 under only use small amount of data with preferred network type of global. Seems like the big problem is with android 12. I do not see any complaints on amazon reviews. Has anybody been able to resolve this problem on android 12?

This has simply gone on far too long!

I’ve now reported this to the Google App Store - instructions on how to report an app:

1. Open the Google Play Store app.
  2. Go to the detail page for an app or game.
  3. Tap More and then hit the three dots Flag as inappropriate .
  4. Choose a reason. - Data Abuse
  5. Tap Submit .

There is a specific category when you report called “Data Abuse.” I referenced this forum post and explained that the app does not respect the use of WiFi when connected and instead uses mobile data.

Perhaps other should also consider reporting this issue, this might speed things along.

1 Like

Looks like (fingers crossed) the latest app update may have addressed this.

Hopefully others are seeing the same improvement after the update.

2 Likes

After updating 3.48.0 on Android, all of my Live View issues have disappeared and things are working as they did prior to October.

Feels good… keeping my fingers crossed, too!

2 Likes

As others have mentioned, the issue seems to be resolved with the latest update 3.48.0.

It’s unfortunate that it took 3+ months to get this done and with no acknowledgement from Ring that the issue even existed in the first place. The first rule of crisis management is always to acknowledge the issue! The public tends to be patient when you do that.

2 Likes

This issue is NOT resolved. I set up my Alarm Pro router on Sunday, set all my cameras to not use extra data, use wifi 100% of the time, and have supposedly used 2.0 GB (not MB!) in just two days. I cancelled my enrollment in extra data because this is unacceptable. Is there an independent Ring users group? I use Windows 11, Android and iOS to access the app. I tried to query the Ring knowledge base about data use but got absolutely no relevant articles. Unhappy user at this point.

Hi @qwerty50. This differs from the concern in this thread as you’re specifically using the Ring Alarm Pro as your router, which may be linked to the data usage you’re seeing. Where are you seeing the data usage measured, is this in your internet settings specifically or on a particular device you’re using to access the Ring app? Feel free to share any screenshots that may demonstrate what you’re seeing as well.

After testing a few times I think I’m content with what’s now happening with mobile data usage.

When at home and my iPhone is using WiFi as long as I don’t use Ring App in live mode no mobile data is used as it used to be when this issue started. If, however, I use live mode then mobile data is used even when still connected to WiFi, unless I remember to turn mobile data off for the Ring App.

I tried to think of a reason why live mode still uses mobile data when my iPhone is connected to WiFi as there must be a reason. All I came up with is that maybe if at home and an event occurs, so you want to use live mode on a camera, then perhaps it’s more reliable to use mobile data in case you move out of range of the WiFi?
… anyone have ideas on this?

Hi @ADT-WJT. I would check your iPhone settings to ensure that you have WiFi Assist turned off. This settings will allow mobile data to be used while WiFi is turned on. Let me know if this corrects the issue.

Hey neighbors. The original concern in this thread regarding a spike in mobile data usage was previously resolved with a past Ring app update. If you’re experiencing any concerns with excessive mobile data usage from the Ring app, please check the following:

• Ensure you are connected to wifi and not mobile data when you’re accessing the Ring app.
  • Turn Wifi Assist off in your mobile device’s settings, as this allows mobile data to be used while you’re connected to wifi.
  • Check with your network provider to verify your mobile data settings and plan.

If these suggestions don’t help, you can follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.