MacOS App Preventing Sleep

@Chelsea_Ring, can you please make sure that the team looks at the post from @bchavet back in January which provides all of the diagnostics they should need to understand this problem?

1 Like

And can we please remove the “SOLVED!” label from this post? This issue is most certainly not solved.

@pallen I most definitely will! As for marking the post as solved, I have included this verbiage as to why I have done this in the post. The overall reason for this is that when a post is marked as solved, it is the first result that will show up in searches for this concern when looking through the Community. This is to avoid multiple threads being created where neighbors may think that their concern is unique without looking through the Community.

In addition, my post was marked as the solution, because if you click on “Go to Solution” from the OP’s post, it will bring you to the post I have marked, which explains that it is something that is being investigated by our team at this time. This is critical information I would like our neighbors to see, which is why I have this system in place to bring attention to it.

Thank you for your feedback overall and I will make sure to continue to update this thread according, and also the post that is marked as a solution will be updated as well once resolved. :slight_smile:

From reading the posts I feel like ring isn’t seeing this as a very severe security flaw. When a mac doesn’t sleep the screen doesn’t lock. I’ve walked away from my computer several times thinking it would lock only to returrn and realize it was wide open. Doesn’t sleep means your laptop battery continues to drain, so when you pull it out of your bag the battery is dead or almost dead.

This is a big deal and its been a known issue for 6 months.

I even emailed their CEO (whose name their forum system literally won’t let me include in this post – it says his last name is a word that “is not permitted in this community”) about the problem and about how poorly their customer service team was dealing with it. That was back in January, when their support team was insisting that I could fix it by changing a setting on the process in Activity Monitor and that I should contact Apple for help with finding that option. He who shall not be named responded immediately and said he’d look into it, and yet here we are three months after that.

They’re fully aware of the problem. They’re fully aware of how frustrated we are. The community has done all of the troubleshooting and diagnosis they need to know how to fix it. They either don’t care or just aren’t capable of dealing with it.

This is most certainly not solved. My mac has completely stopped sleeping and it is the Ring App that is doing it.

I am on an iMac Pro (2017) 2gz 10 core with 65 gb of memory and a Radeon Pro Vega 64x, and I am currently running 10…15.5 beta (19F72F) thought it was happening on 10.15.4 before i moved the the beta.

This literally makes the app useless because it is keeping my Mac from sleeping so I have to uninstall.

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors! Thank you for bringing this to our attention and putting in more effort to dissect this concern further. At this time our team is aware of this concern and is working on a fix.

For now, I have accepted this post as a solution. While we are aware of this concern and the team continues to investigate, this is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to try these recommended troubleshooting steps discussed between other neighbors. If these troubleshooting steps do not work, please share in depth information and examples as to what happens so we can pass it along to the appropriate teams. We appreciate your patience and will continue to update this thread with more information once available. Thank you.

This is not good enough, this isn’t solved and this is causing a major security issue for a lot of people including myself.

When will this be addressed?

Hi neighbors! We appreciate your continued feedback and patience while our team looks into this matter. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Activity Monitor should allow you to see the Ring app status. While there seems not to be a prevent sleep option, you may be able to close the app through here to avoid this concern.

Of course, we will update you when we receive more information. Feel free to share any work arounds or steps that worked for you.

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hi neighbors! We appreciate your continued feedback and patience while our team looks into this matter. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Activity Monitor should allow you to see the Ring app status. While there seems not to be a prevent sleep option, you may be able to close the app through here to avoid this concern.

Of course, we will update you when we receive more information. Feel free to share any work arounds or steps that worked for you.

Right, basically we have to quit the app and not use it. That’s not much of a workaround :slight_smile:

Appreciate the update, looking forward to a fix.

It’s now November and apparently this issue is still not solved because as a new Ring user I am experiencing it. My iMac will not sleep and the Activity Monitor comfirms it’s the Ring app that is keeping it awake. Any update on when this will be addressed?

This issue was frustrating me as well. I wrote a script and some instructions about how to use it. The script quits the ring app after the system has been idle for the configured amount of time.

https://github.com/ajanian/QuitRingWhenIdle has the instructions and the script.

1 Like

Sheesh. Yet another thread, same problem. In a more recent thread the problem was stated that MacOS 11 wasn’t supported because it is ‘too new’.

This thread goes back more than a year. As Moana said “This goes back a LITTLE farther than the reef”

Have just had to uninstall the app for the same reason. I noticed the past few days when I picked up my Macbook after it being closed that it was still hot. This morning the battery was dead even though it had been 100% last night.

Was just about to uninstall it when I found a setting in Preferences (Ring → Preferences). If you untick ‘Mini-alerts when app is in background’ this turns off the ‘preventing sleep’ flag in activity monitor.

Once you have unticked the mini alert checkbox, quit the Ring app then open it again & check activity monitor. Works in Big Sur 11.2.3 & Ring 2.8.3.

It’s a workaround but at least it means you don’t have to keep quitting the Ring app to stop your computer going to sleep.

I hope this helps someone.