Live View not working

Come on Ring fix this it’s your app Rapid Ring works fine but Ring app locks up

1+ here on my Note 10+

I want this fixed or give me $$ back ring

I have a Samsung Galaxy 10+, Android 10, Update 11. Update 11 seems to have caused the problem.

I have 1 doorbell2 (battery), 2 exterior wired cameras, 1 interior Stickup wired.

Live view works when I’m on my wifi network, but not on the Verizon data network. Same behavior for all cameras. The rest of my system works perfectly except for live view now.

The Bluetooth stuff mentioned previously doesn’t affect the results.

I just did a speedtest and I"ve got 31Mbps download speed on my phone.

(edit) Rapid Ring behaves same as RIng app

Is Ring working on fixing this?

more info:

live view works on my son’s Galaxy 9 and wife’s Galaxy 7

the other day I received an alert that someone rang my doorbell, and when i tried to answer it, i got messages i’ve neever seen before, like it was reporting on each step of the process (connecting to ring, opening stream, etc) It got hung up on “opening stream”

For each live view attempt, there’s an entry in the history section called “live view”. so its turning on recording, i just can’t access it in realtime

I have the exact same issue @Jim77. Works fine on ANY Wifi. I have the rapid ring and ring. Same results I do not get a live view. Have the same phone Samsung galaxy s10 etc. and the problem did seem to start after the last Verizon upgrade. Disabling bluetooth does not solve. I have done much troubleshooting i.e. reset my doorbell camera, reinstalled the app etc. looking for things running in background that might conflict… I got nothin’. Still cannot get live view. Noteworthy: I have other cameras that are not ring related and they all work just fine wifi or data network. I do not know if the issue is ring or verizon, but they need to get together and solve this issue as many have it. Not sure what good having a camera is if you can’t see the live feed. It DOES record the live view in the event history, but that’s too late as you cannot talk real time. I have unlimited data with Verizon & I contacted them and issue remains… “something” is preventing the live view @Verizon, @ring… please get this figured out!

Hey neighbors! We greatly appreciate all of the details you have shared about your concerns. As it looks like you are both on Verizon data, and wifi only connection is allowing for intended operation, I’ve got a few additional steps worth trying.

Please ensure any apps in the background are closed/ disabled, bluetooth and/ or VPN is disabled, and no Android apps that might conflict with the Ring app are installed. Once confirmed, and if no improvement, please attempt the following:

1. Remove the Ring app from your mobile device
  2. Reset your Network settings (found in your mobile device settings)
  3. Reboot the mobile device (power off/ power on)
  4. Reinstall the Ring app.

Please let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Marley

The chat technician walked me through that the other day when I posted above.

Still doesn’t work.

I have bitdefender on my phone as well as on my home network - no log entries for ring products (plus the other smartphones in my house still work).

I also gave the ring app more permissions on my 10+ but that did nothing.

I"m starting to think Ring has no idea why this is happening and they keep stalling with having people try the same useless debug script every time. I assumed when Amazon bought them, Ring would be able to provide better service but that seems questionable now.

Maybe Ring needs to be hit in the wallet until they start fixing these basic problems: bad reviews on Amazon, bad reviews on other sites, demands for refunds, Better Business Bureau complaints. I’ve made a significant investment in Ring (home security system, doorbell, 3 cameras, front door lockset, smoke-CO alarms) and now I’m thinking it was a mistake…

edit: almost forgot to mention: I can no longer change the chime on my doorbell, so now I"m stuck with a Christmas chime. IN mid FEBRUARY!

1 Like

I had the same problem. It took me forever to figure it out but I finally got it. I don’t know if it was a Samsung or a Ring update that changed the initial setting on the phone.

On your Android under setting search for “Mobile data only apps”, locate the Ring app, turn it on. It works perfectly now. Hope this helps someone. It was very frustrating when it wasn’t working.

I had the same problem. It took me forever to figure it out but I finally got it. I don’t know if it was a Samsung or a Ring update that changed the initial setting on the phone.

On your Android under setting search for “Mobile data only apps”, locate the Ring app, turn it on. It works perfectly now. Hope this helps someone. It was very frustrating when it wasn’t working.

Same issue here; it’s now been some time since anyone updated this thread. Any solutions for iOS 13.3.1 (iPhone 11 Pro)? none of the approaches on this thread have worked. Live View for every camera, and not just the doorbell is affected. Please fix asap. this is a critical functionality for security.

@kailuakona If you are still experiencing any concerns with your Live View not working, as this was thread was specifically for Android devices, please reach out to our support team here for further troubleshooting. They will be able to isolate the concern for you, as it seems like it may be network related if the Live View is not working for any of your Ring devices! Feel free to report back and let the thread know how it went as this may help others neighbors. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dear Ring,

I see this issue dates back from beginning 2020, I am also on Android 10 with a galaxy s10e.

On my ms surface and my wife her iphone no problem with liveview.

but the app freezes on liveview, and nothing is displayed.

any update expected from Ring for android?

thanks

Hi there!

I don’t really remember what the outcome was for this except that maybe a new update fixed it, but in the meantime, you can download the “Rapid Ring” app in the Google Playstore. It was sort of a pain to have two apps to use, but it worked for when I needed to check a live view at my apartment. I hope this helps as a temporary workaround.

I have this issue with only one of my cameras, I use Iphone 8 plus. Live view and notifications just stopped working about 5 days ago. All other cameras works fine. I have tried everything to get this one camera to work. I’ve had them over a year with no issues and now the most critical camera needed in back of house stopped working. Is there a fix for this? I have tried everything is this thread and nothing works, that one camera does not work in the rapid ring app either. I also, tried it on my Samsung phone and still does not work on that one either.

I ended up calling Ring and they remotely logged into the camera’s error logs and said they saw hardware failures in the logs. So they’re sending me a new one as it’s covered under the monitoring plan. I had to call the phone number, the chat thing wasnt helping. Even if you don’t have replacement coverage under a monitoring plan I’d say call them, at least maybe they can tell from the logs if it’s toast like mine or it’s something else

My wife had note 10 5g that was last week updated to android 11 and ui 3.0 and her live view from all cameras including our front door stop working. Read all the topics and none work other than going to your android settings and find apps and look for ring app. All I did is had all permission allowed including camera, storage contacts, microphone and specially location. And after that it worked! Good thing I was able to compare my note 9 ring settings and those were no permission on her phone. The only thing is that the ring now also have a piece of my tracking device ( my wife calls my phone a tracking device).

Quick fix for not being able to go Live is to enable Microphone permissions for the Ring app.

This recently started with my phone and my GF’s phone. We are both using Samsung. What is working for us is when you load the live view, rotate your phones screen. Then we see the video and you rotate the screen again, it’s now fine. A pain to have to do that every time, but that kick starts the cam on the phone for us every time now.