Share Smart Lighting and Light Groups

Agree. Have Ring Smart Lighting system with Bridge and A19 bulbs. in my house. Only option is to “group” lights which nullifies that ability to share a user. In a household of two I am the only one that can turn the light on and off. Since the lights are switched on all the time my wife is not able to turn the lights on unless I’m with her. Being able to share users with the Ring app Smart Lighting is a must upgrade and the sooner the better. Allow users to share a “group” or allow for single light setup without grouping.

2 Likes

I talked to someone about this last year AND posted here in March. Nothing has been done yet!

2 Likes

Why is this still not implemented!?! Just setup a mailbox sensor and can’t share it with my Wife so she gets notifications too through her account. Allowing Shared user access should be required on all devices. The Light bridge setup instructions even tell you to have your shared users update their app too: https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022835212-Setting-Up-and-Installing-your-Ring-Smart-Lighting-Bridge

This statement is misleading (and incorrect) considering the shared users can’t access the lighting devices:

If there is an update available for your Ring app, please update it before you begin. Remind any shared users to update their app too. Updating the app ensures that everyone on your account will be able to see this new device.

This encourages users to share their account logins which is a major security risk.

2 Likes

We just added a few A19 smart bulbs to our home system, but the Ring App will not let me share control of them with my spouse on her device. Is there a plan to allowed shared usage of smart lighting in the future? Having only one person that can control the lighting severely limits the functionality. Had I been aware of this prior to purchase, I would NOT have added the lighting to our Ring products in use.

Are you sure it doesn’t allow sharing? I just installed the Ring Bridge with a couple of the A19s, and now that it’s all set up in the app I see an option for Shared Users under the group settings.

Never mind. Like I said, I just got this system. Per the app, Grouped Devices can’t be shared unless you remove them from the group first. But you can’t set these up without putting them in a group, and can’t remove from a group. Bummer…I guess we’ll have to share a login until this feature gets added.

Why isn’t smart lighting available to share with authorized users? I have a light that I want everyone to have access to from their phone.

Yes! I would LOVE to be able to have access to the smart lighting controls as well. It’s frustrating to spend the amount we did on these products and only 1 person has access to them.

Such a huge design flaw. Ring you want your customers to use your smart lighting through their homes right? Allow shared users to control the lights through the app otherwise only one person can turn the lights on and off and that doesn’t work.

Is there a way for you to share your light group with other users in the house. I do not see the ability to share in the app. This is a must feature.

There’s not. PLEASE PRIORITIZE THIS RING!!! it’s ridiculous to not be able to share lights with other members of the household. Worst “smart” lights ever. May just have to replace with philips hue lights

1 Like

Absurd that this is not possible! Basic functionality Ring!!!

Please allow sharing of light groups with other users! I have a Floodlight Wired and I am the only one who can control it because it’s required to be in a group and devices in a group can’t have access shared. What if I’m not home or am unavailable and someone needs to turn the light on/off? Please add this function. I got the Floodlight Wired because I have other Ring devices, but I think there are better z-wave controlled options I will consider.

1 Like

I just bought a new smart path light kit, two lights and the bridge. After setting up the group I was very disappointed to find out that I could not share the group. Only by making the lighting individual could I share multiple devices. Please enable sharing for path light groups.

1 Like

Add the ability to share out my lights group to shared users (like my wife) via permissions section.

Seriously. Very annoying

This really has to be a feature request? No one else can control the lights manually without access. “Sorry, you can’t turn on the porch light anymore.”

1 Like

Wow! You would think this is standard feature to share smart lighting with others! Please implement this! my wife can’t control lights when i’m away

1 Like

Please add a feature that would allow adding shared users to smart light devices. I have a ring flood light and I am unable to add my wife as a shared user so she can also turn it on/off. When initially setting up the floodlight, the app asks you to put it in a light group, which is great. However, having the smart floodlight in a group makes it impossible to shared the floodlight light with other users. This is definitely a glitch in the programming that needs to be addressed.

2 Likes

This is insane. How is this a thing? Do I really need to share my password in order to give shared household members the ability to turn on/off Ring lights?

1 Like