Keypad Gen2 Mode Lights

Love the look and extra functanality of the Chime pro Gen 2 but would love the ability to schedual the time of the LED light comes on and off and or the ability to adjust the ambient light sensitivity as my chime pro is located in our internal hallway but the light will come on during the day when the hall is still well lit.

1 Like

Same here! I’d like to see a ambient light sensitivity adjustment or something for the night light. It seems to now work as it should, turning off and on (at first it just never turned off–ever) but it seems it needs direct light to turn off. I ended up moving mine from my kitchen to my living room. When it was in the kitchen, despite being daylight, it only ever turned off if my kitchen lights were on. Now, in my living room, it’s only off when the sun is directly hitting it. There are often times when it’s perfectly light out, but not bright enough in the room for the night light to turn off during the day.

I’d love to see some sort of adjustment to tune the sensitivity to our liking.

Thanks!

Totally agree. Other folks in my house don’t use the app and need to know whether the system is armed or not so they don’t set it off inadvertently when they leave the house.

1 Like

Idea. Push out a firmware upgrade that affords the user the capability to either turn the always-on feature on or off. Problem solved for both parties who either do or don’t want the light. I, for one, need that light so people in my household can tell whether it’s armed or not.

1 Like

This definitely needs a firmware update. It’s long overdue.

1 Like

Definitely support this suggestion, it’s very important esp for tech challenged people to just look and see the mode, prevent false alarms, etc.

1 Like

Agree the gen 2 keypad is lacking the basic function of indicating system status. Why would it make sense to the designers that someone would have to walk up to the keypad to activate a motion sensor to see the status of the system. With this current design of the Gen 2 keypad I could never recommend a Ring System to friends or family. When I had my Gen 1 keypad (it failed) that indicated the status I felt comfortable recommending Ring to friends and faimly.

RING PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM

1 Like

Ring! I just replaced a 1st gen keypad in our bedroom due to a speaker failure. My joy with getting a 2nd gen keyboard has now gone away as I’m HIGHLY disappointed that I can no longer tell if the system is armed or not from my bed. Since I tend to go to bed before my husband and my husband sometimes forgets to arm the system, it was highly useful to be able to glance at the keypad from my side of the bed if woke up in the middle of the night. If I saw that it wasn’t armed, then I could then ask Alexa to arm the system without getting out of bed or grabbing my phone. I’ve had our ring alarm system since it first launched and while the emergency buttons on this new key pad are an awesome upgrade, not being able to see the system status from a glance feels like a HUGE step back. Pleas let this group know if this issue / feature is being looked into.

1 Like

Yes, this is very important…when plugged in and power saving OFF pls keep mode LED always ON. The presence sensor doesnt work if keypad is closer to wall and keypad remains OFF hence this causes us to open door without disarming. Pls Pls Pls keep mode LED ON. On our DSC system, the mode LED was always ON and we used to look at it before opening the door. In span of 20yrs, we and guest may be triggered it 5 times but with Ring alarm we have triggered it 5 times in a week.

1 Like

I recently left ADT and installed the Ring home security system.

I love the system with one exception.
The alarm keypad - gen 2 cannot be set to stay illuminated. I heard it is possible with the gen 1 keypad.

This keypad is visible to anyone at my front door and anyone in my backyard looking into the window.

The ability to have it remain illuminated is a security deterrent.

When my ADT was armed, you would clearly see it, bright and visible.
Unfortunately this is currently not an option for the ring keypad.

To my dismay, I cannot believe or understand how this issue has not been addressed after so many ring customers have voiced there need for an update.

Is there anything in the works to give us that “constant illuminated” option?

I have 2 neighbors looking to switch to ring home security, but the non illuminated keypads are stopping them from making the switch.

1 Like

is there any update from Ring to adding back this very useful (IMO, essential) feature to the gen2 keypad?

like others here and in other threads mention, the gen1 keypad lets you at a glance from a distance see what mode the system is in, with its mode LED always on when constantly powered. My gen1 keypad is mounted on a wall, down the hallway a distance from the front door, and with a quick glance I can open the door confidently knowing the system status in advance.

unfortunately my gen1 keypad just died (audio speaker failure) and Ring is sending a replacement, but only gen2 units are available now. So I will lose that useful feature of the mode lights staying lit - yes, like others even my old ancient ADT system had this basic feature. Ring: please add this important functionality back to gen2! (it could be an option)

3 Likes

Agree. Need to keep the light on when armed on the keypad.

1 Like

I just got 2 of these to replace my Gen 1 keypads as the speakers stopped working and I am so disappointed in these new Gen 2 keypads. I soley used these to be able to glance and see if the alarm is armed or disarmed. I feel like the Gen 2 keypads are a step backwards. Please give us the option to keep the lights on!

1 Like

I recently added a new ring alarm system to our home and so far I LOVE IT! I have two keypads, both generation 2. The keypad that came with our system is in our pantry/entry from the garage. I have power save mode off and lights up etc. when I approach. However it is not lighting the the current mode. Subsequently our second keypad (a additional purchase) is located in our master bedroom, again power save mode off and DOES illuminate the the current mode (which is good in the morning when you wake up to remember to turn if off).

Any suggestions on how to get the other pad to illuminate the correct mode. Per the app firmware is up to date etc.

Also, I fully support being able to have the keypads illuminated at all times. I would gladly charge them more if needed.

Hello @TPGRN331 ,

The 2nd Generation keypad (power save mode OFF) should illuminate all keys white with the current arm mode highlighted too (blue in Disarm or red in Home/Away), when you get near the keypad’s motion sensor.

I would first try the link below to troubleshoot your keypad. You might have to perform a Factory Reset, which will wipe any potentially corrupted updated Firmware back to factory settings. Once you re-setup the keypad again, it will update the firmware again.

If after troubleshooting your keypad does not resolve your issue, then I would call Ring Support for additional help at:

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, you may encounter slightly longer than normal wait times:

I hope you find this information helpful. :wink:

Please fix this issue! I’m returning my Gen 2 keypads until this is resolved.

I spent a fair bit of effort making sure my ring keypad is permanently plugged in. And I’m VERY disappointed that it doesn’t show the current status.

Is there any indication that this feature request will be implemented? If not, I’m considering purchasing a Gen1 keypad.

1 Like

Any news on this? A year later and disappointing to see this still isn’t’ implemented when the Gen1 keypad finally just received an update to disable the green ‘battery full’ light.

The current Mode light really needs to remain lit at all times if the keypad has constant power.

2 Likes

Why is this still not an option in the app to select “Always on LED” when hardwired.

Its a basic feature, and coming from ADT, I am super disappointed in the lack of visual cues unless I get near the v2 keypad. So dumb.

2 Likes

Holy Cow, this isn’t a troubleshooting issue. The 2nd Gen Simply does not light up when connected to power and power save turned off, as the 1st Gen does. I purchased the 2nd Gen when it came out last year, i’ve yet to install it due to the lighting issue that I’m sure can easily be corrected with a firmware update.

2 Likes