Is there a way to tie my computer to my ring 2 doorbell

Okay, got all the work done installing and setting up my Ring 2 doorbell. Got all the Ring apps for my iphone all good to go. Now the question.

Since all this ties together using my LAN/Wifi, is there a way, or an piece of software, that I can use to tie all this into my computer. My computer has Wifi and uses the Wifi to hook up with the internet. So, what I am asking is, can I use my computer to answer the door when it rings. Shouldn’t I be able to answer the door when it rings and view who is at the door? My computer has a camera with a microphone along with speakers or a headset with mic. I think I should be able to hook all the ring stuff up to my computer using a Ring piece of software. And being able to view who was ringing the door to begin with would be an added plus to the entire Ring system. Can the people at Ring provide any guidance along this line of thinking? It would be a big help when you think about it. Thanks for taking the time to read my note. If someone wants to reply, they can drop me a note.

Hey there, @Cartheris! This is certainly possible, but can differ depending on device type. If you have an up to date Mac/ OSX or a Windows computer, you can download the Ring app following the steps in our help center article.

If the Ring app is not compatible with the computer being used for any reason, you can still view your devices via web browser, including event history, by logging in at Ring.com. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Not sure I’m saying what I’m thinking. I have the Ring app on my computer and I can use the Dashboard to view and interact with someone at the door, BUT…

What I'm trying to do is have the Ring app start with Windows 10 Pro when I start the computer.  Instead of my phone answering my front door what I would like is to have the Ring Dashboard start-up with Windows so that if someone approaches the front door, then when they are recognized by my Ring 2 the Ring Dashboard will give a warning/chime/ring and then I can answer it via the computer and with a single click of the mouse key the Dashboard will open and then I can view and interract with whoever is at the door.

With the Ring app in the Windows 10 startup folder, then I don't need to babysit my iPhone at the same time while I am working at my keyboard.  Turn the computer on, let it boot up, and then all will be good to go if someone shows up at the front door.  Someone like UPS, FedEx, or the USPS shows up at the door, and when they press the button on the Ring Doorbell, a window pops up on my computer with the video open so that I can see who is at the door.  All automatic without any interference from.  RING, Pop goes the window, and I can see who is at the door.

Seems like it would be a pretty easy thing to do and setup, but RING will NOT allow the user, (ME) to set it up that way. It is impossible to drop a copy of the Ring setup files into the Windows StartUp Folder.

Is it possible to make this change to the software sometime soon in the future. It would be a really nice addition to the overall setup of things.

BTW, love the Ring Video Doorbell 2. Sometime soon will need to purchase an automatic light function to go along with it.

Yes @Cartheris , you should be able to do most of what you want, if your PC is like mine. It will take a few extra steps to make this work, but it does work on my Windows 10 PC.

• "What I’m trying to do is have the Ring app start with Windows 10 PC when I start the computer. "

With Windows 10 there are certain app & programs that can be launched automatically when the system starts up. These are called “Start Up” or “Desktop” Apps to be added to the Windows 10 start up sequence folder, and have the available option so they can be included in the boot start up. Some App Programs cannot be added to the start up in the normal way, as you discovered with the PC Ring App. But there is a way around this.

- Step One: Windows 10 does allow you can add a “Shortcut” link to the start up. You already have the Ring App installed on your PC. So first, you need to create a Short-cut to the Ring App. There are several ways to create a short-cut, but the easiest is:

• Select (Left-click) the “Start” Icon (lower-left-corner “Window” Icon) on your PC.

• Scroll to the Ring App on the Menu.

• Press & Hold Left-click while your cursor in on Ring, and continue holding as you drag your cursor to an open blank area on your Desktop.

• Drop (release the Left-click) this Ring Icon Shortcut onto your Desktop. You may notice the word “link” as you drag (create) this shortcut. Now you should have a “Ring Shortcut” link there on your desktop.

**- Step Two: ** Open your File Explorer.

• Left-click on the File Explorer icon located in the taskbar. Alternatively, you can open File Explorer by clicking on the Start button and then clicking on File Explorer. Another way is to press Win + E (Win is the Window Pane Icon key on your keyboard + the key E).

• Type _ shell:startup _in the File Explorer address bar. Then it should change automatically to _ C:\Users\Your User name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup _

• From your Desktop, now grab (left-click & hold) the Ring Shortcut (that you created in Step One), and drag it to the right pane area of the File Explorer and drop it (release the left-click). Now the Ring Shortcut should have moved off your desktop and be listed in this pane area.

• Close File Explorer.

Now when you turn the computer on and let it boot up, WIndows 10 will activate the Ring Shortcut, which will then start the Ring App program automatically! So at least this solved your first issue (impossible to drop a copy of the Ring setup files into the Windows StartUp Folder).

• _"Ring Dashboard will give a warning/chime/ring and then I can answer it via the computer and with a single click of the mouse key the Dashboard will open and then I can view and interact with whoever is at the door. _When they press the button on the Ring Doorbell, a window pops up on my computer with the video open so that I can see who is at the door. All automatic without any interference from. RING, Pop goes the window, and I can see who is at the door."

• Now your PC Ring App will be running in the background. And you will get Notifications & Alert-Tone Sounds on your PC (according to the settings you selected in this PC Ring App). If your Ring App is already on the Dashboard page of the App, I recommend you click on your displayed camera to get to your camera’s Device page and stay on this Device page instead of the Dashboard page. This will eliminate an extra mouse-click later when you get a Ring Notification/Sound.

• Well, this part will not be fully automatic. But now you are basically only 2 quick mouse-clicks away to see who is at the door. When you get a Notification and/or hear the Sound, single click on the Ring Bell Icon (click 1) on your bottom PC Task-bar, and the Ring App will move forward front page on your screen. You will still need to click “Live View” button (click 2) on the Device page, which will activate your camera video. I know that isn’t automatic on the PC App, but the App isn’t currently designed that way, yet.

• If you desire to talk/interact with the person at your door, you can select the Green “Pickup-Telephone” Icon (lower-left-corner) to talk & listen. Notice now the extra button “Mic-Mute” icon appears next to the “Listen-Mute” Icon (lower-right-corner). Then ‘hang-up’ with the Red “Hangup Telephone” Icon when finished.

Well @Cartheris , at least you “don’t need to babysit your iPhone at the same time while you are working at your keyboard.” I hope you find this information useful and a bit helpful. If it is helpful, I always appreciate when people click to give me a Kudo “Thumbs Up”.

But at least you now should be able to get the PC Ring App into your start boot up. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like