Installed Resistor and doorbell stopped working

A month after installing 2nd generation video doorbell the doorbell chime started to hum. I checked and the mechanical chime is on the approved list. I installed a 10 Ohm 1/2-watt resistor which stopped the humming noise, but now when the doorbell is pushed there is no chime. Do I need to try a different size resistor or any other suggestions to stop the hum?

I just signed on to this forum and saw your post. Are you familiar with an VOM meter? Measure across the doorbell transformer, not the doorbell, and see what your ac ~ voltage is. Sounds to me you added resistance and there’s not enough voltage to drive the doorbell. If it’s an older chime it could be tired :zzz: hence you added resistance and causes a voltage drop

1 Like

I’m not an expert with the volt meter, but here are the readings. When I measure both front and back doorbell contacts at transformer the reading was 14.8. When I put the one probe where the white wires goes labeled trans and the other probe on the screw labeled front the reading was 7.7. The chime came with the house so it’s ~17 years old. Don’t know if I need a different size resistor or to try a new chime. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @blatzman. If you are using a Ring Video Doorbell with an existing chime kit, you do not need a resistor. A resistor is only used when you are not using a chime kit. This Help Center article here will show you how to wire this correctly. You may need to change your chime settings in your Ring app to stop the humming. Additionally, you can check and make sure that your chime kit is compatible with your Ring Doorbell. I hope this information helps!

My door chime is a Broan 972 on the approved list. The resistor stopping the humming noise but also stoped the bell from ringing. I’m looking for a fix to stop the humming but allow the door chime to ring

@blatzman I would recommend removing the resistor, as it is not needed in this configuration and we want to avoid causing any damage to the Doorbell. As for the humming, you can try reaching out to our support team if you’ve already made sure it is all wired correctly and that the chime itself isn’t damaged in any way which could cause the humming. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.