Having trouble with the retrofit alarm kitr

I’ve noticed odd behavior at some of my wired zones… And it is inconsistant, maybe only happening 10% of the time.

Starting with the zone closed, I’ll open the door/window… The zone shows open as expected. Then when I close the door window, ocasionally it seems like it is quickly registering as closed,open closed… I know something is wrong when this happens because I hear a chime when the opening is being closed.

Even more annoying is that sometimes the door/window is stuck saying open and I have to cycle the door/window a few times to get it to show as closed.

I used my multimeter to check the connections, and all looks fine from what I can tell. Close to 0 ohms when the door/window is closed and ‘infite resistance’ when the door/window is open.

I even tried to add a 2k ohm end of line resistor to the end of the line to see if that would help. It didn’t…

Wondering if I have a faulty retrofit kit (doubt it since I have 2 and they both exhibit the same behavior) or if there is something funky in the software?

It is also worth noting that I have 3 main doors that use recessed contact sensors. Never seen a problem with these. All my windows and a sliding glass door use surface mount contact sensors. I am only seeing problems with the surface mount sensors, but again they seem to function fine when tested with a multimeter for resistance.

Hi @talsma. If you are still having issues with your Retrofit Alarm Kit, I would recommend reaching out to our support team for further assistance. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here for more in-depth help. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

@talsma I realize this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem. It seems to only happen with windows where I have 2 magnets installed so that I can keep the windows partially open for ventilation with the alarm armed.

Did you ever find a solution?

@Tom_Ring I did contact Ring support. Unfortunately, their input is that they don’t see any issues in the logs, so they are not able to help.

Here is some additional diagnostic data I was able to gather:

Hi @marcaronson408. You can find a list of all the Help Center articles we have regarding the Retrofit Alarm Kit here, which may be helpful in determining a solution. The Ring Community is designed for general troubleshooting since we do not have device or account information, so issues involving the Retrofit Alarm Kit are typically best handled with our support team. Ensure you are requesting to speak with the Ring Alarm team specifically, and let them know you have some additional information you’ve gathered that can help in troubleshooting.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.