Get it together Ring

Ok, after an afternoon spent in utter frustration trying to set up a camera using a POE wired connection - which failed because I have no cell signal here and to set up a wired camera the app (apparently) MUST connect to the device with the phone’s wireless. Which means it can’t connect to the internet. Which means setup fails, every time. So, now I have POE camera connected to my infrastructure via WiFi. Dumb. Inexcusable. Connecting the thing via WiFi is a breeze, since it connects to the app to setup. My WiFi infrastructure is on the same subnet as the port for the camera wire. I don’t see why phone <> device MUST be via wireless when it’s got a perfectly valid network connection ON THE WIRE.

And, just to add insult to injury, I discovered today that I simply cannot access Live view on my computer. Clicking the thumbnails (which work) gives me a pop-up window that essentially just sits and spins. I’ve tried IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox. I read (on Reddit I think) that you have to give the browser page permission to use the microphone. That’s nice, except I don’t HAVE a microphone. (and just to save the snarky sunshine & rainbows Ring dude some time, yes the dratted thing works on my phone)

Who is designing this stuff? Are they really trying to chase customers away? I was happy, have a Gen2 doorbell, the alarm system, an indoor stickup and now the outdoor one. Today has prompted me to look at alternatives - preferably by a company that isn’t trying to go out of business.

Rwarren873 -

Thanks for taking the time to post your observations.

If Ring requires a cellular connection to set up their POE products… it should be listed as a PREREQUISITE. (I doubt potential purchasers would want to discover that limitation through “trial and error” AFTER installing the hardware and cabling.)

I would strongly object if I was required to grant microphone permission in order to use Ring’s Live View feature.