Floodlight Camera People Detection is Useless

I recently purchased a Floodlight Security Cam for (obviously for security reasons!)

I get a notification of motion detected almost every other night just to see a spider or cobweb in the picture. It also detects my small dog as a person.

How can this be interpreted as a people detection?

This is rendering my Floodlight camera useless because I don’t want to be woken up every time a Spider decides to pass in front of the camera.

THE PEOPLE ONLY MODE DOES NOT WORK resulting in constant notifications for SPIDERS throughout the night! Attached you will se a spider example from a Wired Floodlight Cam which set off a notification while the People Only Mode was set:

Videos of FALSE detecions with spiders an small dog and Screenshot of motion settings with People Only Mode switch on and zonez attached/below

THIS PROBLEM RENDERS THE CAMERA USELESS!

I need a solution ASAP.

Here are the other screenshots

Hey @CarlosAlonsoR. I tried to see where the spider was triggering the camera from the attached screenshots, but could you actually share a video example of this? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

Also, please note that occasionally when in People Only Mode, light reflection, as from an outside window, can activate motion detection. If you’re getting a lot of unwanted notifications look for reflective surfaces that may be shining light onto your device, such as the glass sliding doors you have. You can try turning this off and see if this helps you!

Hi, here are the videos.

@CarlosAlonsoR Thanks for getting back to me! From the video, it looks like a couple things may be what you’re running into. The spider in the second video definitely set off the camera, and this is because the web and the spider were up in the camera’s view, making it seem large enough to be a person, and thus triggering the corner. The spider is also reflecting into the lens from the IR filter bouncing off of it and the web, thus triggering the video. I recommend taking off People Only Mode because of this, to see if it helps, but if you continue to have a friendly neighborhood spider on the camera’s lens, you may see this trigger the recording as well.

The first video seems to maybe be set off by your dog, who is very cute I must say! Nevertheless, animals may still set off the camera in People Only Mode, depending on how “sensitive” the camera is set to. Since you have a small backyard, you can try turning down the sensitivity even lower than what you have it, to see if this helps, but your dog may continue to set it off from those potty breaks, just because your dog takes up a decent amount of the frame! :slight_smile: