Floodlight Cam Motion Zones

I have several RING devices; one being a Floodlight Cam overlooking my garage/driveway. I would like to extend the motion zone but unlike my RING doorbell, the option appears to be missing. Am I missing it somewhere or is this feature simply not available on this device?

Hey @blueispy. Are you talking about the Motion Zones that you can create here? If you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Floodlight Cam > Motion Settings > Do you have an option for Motion Zones under here?

Thank you Chelsea

I so have the Motion Zone options but only to turn them on or off. I don’t see any option to extend them. Not sure if the Sensitivity Setting helps. The position of the camera is on the corner of our garage looking at the drive way. None of the three zones are long enough to cover our drive way to the street. I can see the street, but the RING will only start recording in the zone when something or someone is about 6’ from our garage door.

@blueispy Thanks for getting back to me! Are you sure you have a Floodlight Cam, and not a Spotlight Cam Battery? If you have the Floodlight Cam, you should have those customizable motion zones, but the ones you are talking about seem to be the one for the Spotlight Cam Battery. In all, I think you may benefit from being in touch with our support team directly to get this motion detection concern addressed.

For this support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Chelsea

I have four RING devices, one a wired doorbell and three battery (recharged via solar). None of those three have options to extend the motion zones or record time. For some reason the record time is 20sec. I was on the phone with tech support and they changed the record times to 30sec. However, they had no explanation why on an incident today when we had a service tech in our backyard, one RING camera failed to detect him and the second only recorded 20sec. He was there for 15-mins. The tech had no explanation except to say he would further investigate and that I should do a two-step authentication which I had already set up. Very disappointed when I really needed the RING devices to work, they didn’t. Huge fail.

Hey @blueispy, happy to chime in for Chelsea here. Since the Spotlight Cams you have are battery-operated, this would be why you don’t have the Motion Zone options you’re referring to. I would recommend taking a look at your Motion Frequency settings, which you can learn more about in our Help Center Article here. This setting, in addition to the motion sensitivity which you can adjust under the Motion Zones, allows you some control over the motion detection for your Spotlight Cams.

As for the recording length being 20 seconds, I would highly suggest reviewing the thread we have on this topic here. You will see the accepted solution by Chelsea which goes into detail on the Video Recording Length feature, as well as why your device’s recording may only be 20 seconds. I hope that helps clear things up for you! :slight_smile: