Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

So it seems the only solution I’ve found is to deactivate the MOTION ZONES for LIGHTS inside the Light Settings. This is the only way to retain the cameras “ability” to at least detect motion and alert you without having to actually turn the whole thing off completely. Unfortunately this means it no longer is a floodlight security camera and acts as just another dire elk camera. It worked fine for months so what happened? Was there a silent firmware update? Does anyone know if the devices auto-update without our knowledge? Maybe we can revert the update if that was the problem! I’m so sick of this issue! If I have any motion zones for the lights active, even minimized to the 140 degrees to match the cameras filed of view sensor instead of the full 270 degrees that the lights field of view is, this reduction still doesn’t aid in stopping the light from coming on on its own! I’m going to contact the support team and try to figure this out.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. Was working perfectly until a couple of weeks ago. Light comes on for the 30 seconds setting, goes off and then back on immediately. Nothing makes it stop the cycle. Unhappy neighbors. Need to get this resolved.

2 Likes

Ok guys. Disable your modes for your sensor in the application. We have been having this issue for about 24 hours now. I’ve been all over this thread. Randomly fixed by disabling the away and home modes.

6 Likes

Hey Ring, how about creating a button in the app that can turn the lights on & off when needed. Just like turning an alarm system on & off. Then we can sit outside & enjoy our backyards without such annoyance.

2 Likes

You are the best. Thankyou… this stopped my light from coming on… Hey Ring…if you read this you owe this guy a free subscription…he figured out how to fix this, even if temporary …which is way more than youve done. I was about to smaah mine off the wall and throw it in the dumpster. Thx morris

I have this problem but it isn’t with a camera. I have two of the Doorbell 2s, 6 of the Pathlight, 1 wired spotlight, and 2 battery spotlights. The doorbells are wired to the existing wiring. The lights are linked to the doorbells to record when they detect motion.
The doorbells worked great-- until I added the lights. The Pathlights trigger an event like you have all described. They detect motion every 1-5 minutes , all day. This makes the doorbells record all the time. I even had to take the batteries out and charge them because they were drained to 20% from recording so much. There is no motion and I’ve set the sensitivities, etc. as low as they will go… no help.
I can’t believe that these issues haven’t been addressed by Ring. I’m very close to getting rid of all the Ring products I own. What kind of security is this system providing if there are so many false alarms, the system can longer be trusted? What did we buy these for, if not for security?

When I read this I realized that this issue started happening right after I turned on the modes setting. I just turned it off, I will see you tonight if it helps. Thank you so much for your feedback!!

Same issue, and it’s quite annoying now. Have tried it all. Help???

I have the exact problem. I just installed mine and the Flood lights are constantly turning on with no motion warning. I adjusted my light distance settings ALL THE WAY DOWN and they still come on. Any fix for this?

I have the exact same problem as everyone else. I am going to try to turn the modes off as the other user suggested and see if it helps. Very disappointed in ring for not addressing this issue yet.

Hi
I am also having the same problem. Even tried to reset the sensors without any success. How do I find my Firmware version and how do I update it? Has this helped anyone?
Thanks

2 Likes

Hi
By disabling the light in Mode Settings, did the light still come on when motion is detected?
My light comes on randomly so I am looking for a fix but not one that limits the security of the cam.
I notice that by our spotlight we have a lot of little flies. Can the flies set off the spotlight without setting off the motion alert?
Thanks for any info.

This message board was not sending me notifications about threads that I’m subscribed to, so I just recently saw the new messages. So sorry that a new batch seems to be having related problems with the floodlight cam lights.

If you want to read about what happened to the issue from last summer / fall, please read the other thread that’s referenced in my post in this thread from last fall.

To give highlights, I lost track of how many times I had to call the helpline. My case was finally escalated to Level 2. I referenced the other post in my call as an example that I was not the only one. It took quite some time and calls from many customers until Ring finally acknowledged that it was a systemic problem. So if people haven’t called the Help Line, you probably need to do that. Or maybe get the attention of one of the moderators to this thread to try to escalate this from their side.

I think I’ve seen other recent threads about this problem.

The previous problem with ring flood lights had included not being able to receive firmware updates. The help desk, including level 2, could not do anything about it. They cannot force your cameras to update firmware; they can only put it in a queue for your device. Somehow the developers were able to push out a fix in the end. I asked several times but was not able to get any information as to what the issue actually was. It took quite some time before they were able to developand push out a fix. I’m sorry to hear that there is now a seemingly related problem.

If you check your lights firmware in Device Health and there’s a number there, that means that you don’t have the latest firmware. If your firmware version says “Up to Date,” Then you have the latest.

1 Like

Hi
I checked the device health and the firmware is up to date. I will try to check the other thread to see if anyone found a real solution. Thank you for your reply

@sstaarzz
The other thread that we had from last fall was for the flood lights coming on exactly every 30 minutes, and also that the firmware was not updating. The final fix was that Ring developers had to create and push out a firmware update to the affected devices.

The problem you’re having is that the lights go on all the time, with no discernible pattern correct?

Yes I believe so. The flood light goes on at random times at night. More annoying is the fact that the light is mounted outside but near bedroom window so every time it goes on it lights up my room
I went into the settings to live view and shut off the lights toggle switch and the yellow light bulb. I noted on the live view many flying insectS by the lens and thought maybe this keeps turning on the light but I don’t get any motion alerts either. I have it set to people only. Will try to change that and then reduce the sensitivity of the motion.
When I went to the back yard view the lights toggle switch was off but the yellow bulb was on. This gets more confusing and frustrating as time goes on.

1 Like

@sstaarzz

We have the same problem with one set of floodlights right outside the bedroom window and the other one also visible.

A couple things to keep in mind about the floodlight cams. The lights and the camera have two separately operating motion detection systems. The cameras are pixel based motion detection, and the people only setting applies only to the camera. The lights have PIR (passive infrared) motion detection. You’ll notice that they have completely different settings in the app. The camera coming on does not automatically turn on the lights. Similarly, but lights can come on by themselves without the camera.

In my experience, bugs like moths sometimes will set off only the camera but not the lights at night. For example, when I check the video, I see a moth with the lights still off. Bugs don’t trigger the cameras very often.

However, movement of bushes and plants from the wind can easily trigger the lights at night. So if you have any plants near the floodlight cam, try to adjust the settings zones to avoid them if possible. But the problem is that there are only three zones for lights. You can try to reduce the distance. When it’s windy, sometimes I have to turn off 1-2 zones and reduce the distance.

Regarding the light toggle switch and the yellow light bulb to control the lights. Because there is a lag from your phone to Ring systems to the floodlight cam, it can get a little funky betwen the two controls. The toggle switch can oftentimes seemingly turn itself back on. I find that the yellow light bulb is a bit more definitive on whether it’s on or off.

Also, when the devices start misbehaving, sometimes a power cycle (e.g., from the light switch that controls junction box) can help to reset things.

And there’s always the possibility that the device is defective. Calling Ring Help depends on who you get. However they are polite, and they do try to help. For more complicated issues, I almost always have to call multiple times and then ask for a Level 2 if there is no progress. Ultimately if the device needs to be replaced, it’ll have to go through Ring Help.

1 Like

same issue

I have two Ring floodlights. One is exhibiting no issues while the other’s floodlights are performing like a dusk to dawn light. The first time this occurred, I removed the floodlight from the Ring app, power cycled it and reinstalled. The issue went away for approximately two weeks.

After the two weeks the problem began again. I tried to perform the same fix of removing it and reinstalling it to the system, but this time it did not work. Everytime I try to turn off the light, it turns back on within 10 seconds. I’ve tried changing the settings listed in this thread to no avail. I’ve tried decreasing the zones and even set on and off times but the light continues to function as Dusk to Dawn. The only thing that has had minimum success is if I go to Live view and then toggle off the lights, they will remain off until Live view kicks off. Immediately after Live View kicks out, the lights come back on.

Both of my flood lights are connected to the same router (no extenders) and both are wired to a TP Link smart switch. Device health states firmware is up to date. I’ve ensured area around camera is clean. I believe I will also have to contact Ring support though not looking forward to lost time trying to troubleshoot and most likely repeating most of the steps I have already tried.

I never activated the modes so I just went in and turned it on. Now I disabled them. <br><br>Who designed the login process for community? I log in then I have to re-login again but with an verification code. Stupid.