Flashing multicoloured patches across camera footage

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Recently purchased hardwired Ring doorbell.

Installation was straightforward. No issues with the bell itself but app had indicated WiFi signal was poor after first 24 hours. At this time, I also noticed lots of flickering/flashes of multicoloured tones constantly popping up on the camera footage whenever motion was detected or if someone was at the door. It was making it very hard to identify people due to this issue.

I figured it was due to the poor WiFi signal as noted on the ring app, so we’ve now moved the router into the room directly next to the front door. The router is now approx 6ft away from the bell with 1 wall between it.

The app no longer highlights signal is poor, so figured the multicoloured flashes would be gone and footage would be smooth and great quality.

Sadly not. The camera is still displaying these irritating flashes which completely distorts the picture.

We’ve got fibre broadband and no issues with our speed (tested tonight - 32.5mbps download - 9. 16mbps upload). The router is super close to the bell now, we’re a bit baffled and wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Also worth noting that this happens throughout the day/night, in all weather, so it is not due to the position of the sun on the screen.

We were wanting to invest in an indoor camera and an external hardwired camera with the lights/alarm etc over the next few weeks, but if this is going to be the quality with those items too, I’m not sure we will bother.

If anyone has a solution, please throw it at me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @KStevie. Good call on moving the router closer to the Doorbell to improve the signal. We also typically recommend 2mbps upload and download speed for each Ring Doorbell or Camera, so your speeds should be sufficient as well. Since the footage still isn’t clear, I would recommend resetting the Doorbell and setting it up again now that it is closer to the router and should work properly with a better signal. To reset the Doorbell, you just need to hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once the reset is complete, use the steps under Set Up a Device to get it back up and running.

This should clear things up for you, but if it doesn’t, you can reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Contacted your support team who were very helpful. They explained straight away that there was a clear fault with the doorbell and replaced it almost instantly.

Thank you!

Sadly now having issues with indoor camera audio! I think we are cursed with Ring products!!