Feature Update: Camera Light Schedules

A post was split to a new topic: Motion warning access

Could a Ring representative please clarify something? Under Device Settings/Light Settings I have Motion-Activated Lights turned on. Does this mean that the lights will come on anytime (day or night) when it senses motion? I would like to keep the lights off during the day to save the battery, but under Device Schedules/Light Schedules it offers two options: keeping them off from dusk to dawn and setting a custom off-schedule. I must not understand this function since there’s no battery-saving option to keep them off during daylight.

1 Like

Under the Ring Camera Light Settings in your Ring app, the “Motion-Activated Lights” toggle will ensure that your lights are activated when the light triggering motion is detected. Most Ring Cameras with lights will have a detection field of view for lights, and a separate one for motion events. The Motion-Activated Lights toggle applies to your lights, and will take effect during the night time.

Please note, your Ring Camera will also turn on the lights every time it detects normal motion, as described further in our Help Center article below.

1 Like

This is a good start, but there is a HUGE mistake. For an OFF schedule, you can only turn off at Dusk and on at Dawn. Obviously we need to choose Dawn for off and Dusk for on. How did you miss this???

1 Like

I completely agree with this note about the flaw. I have some spotlights connected to a spotlight cam. When the spotlights detect motion, they all turn on and the spotlight cam lights also turn on. The spotlights have a light sensor option so that they do not activate during the day. That is not an option for the spotlight cam. So what is happening is during the day when the spotlights detect motion they do not turn on but they do activate the lights on the spotlight cam (draining the battery). I thought the lights off schedule would solve that but. . . the schedule can only be set to keep the lights off from dusk to dawn or with user defined specific time schedule. The ability to set a light off schedule during the day (dawn to dusk) is needed!

1 Like