Feature Update: Camera Light Schedules

Hi, I set up the light schedule to be OFF from 7am-7pm everyday on my Ring Floodlight Cam, but when it detected motion (mid afternoon), the lights still come on. Is there something else I need to do to configure this or should I call support? It sounds like this feature should stop the lights from coming on every time I’m on the porch during the day, so want to get this to work!

Hi there, @dm2! Linked devices will still trigger lights, even if there is a schedule for lights to be off. @jrpaul70, as you had somewhat of a similar inquiry, please check to see if you have any linked devices that might be triggering the lights for motion during scheduled times. I appreciate you all sharing your experiences with the Community, and have shared this feedback with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got this feature update about 2 weeks ago for my Floodlight but nothing yet for my Spotlight Wired cam

I had hoped this would work like the light schedules I have setup for my Ring Solar Floodlight smart light or my Ring A19 smart bulb so you can dim the light. I have a dusk to dawn schedule setup for the Solar Floodlight and A19 bulbs (my porch lights). The lights only dimly light up all night until motion is detected, then they go to 100% brightness. Likewise, I have my A19 bulbs in my porch lights on all night with the brightness set to only 10%. These are linked to turn on with the nearby cameras and go to 100% brightness when one of those linked cameras detect motion. (This works GREAT BTW!)

The Ring Floodlight just stays at full 100% brightness if you create a schedule such as dusk to dawn. That’s great I guess if that’s what you want but I’d love to be able to dim the floodlight then have it go full brightness once motion is detected.

I’m wondering if the dimming function will exist in the Wired Spotlight once I get this feature update. I’m wondering if the problem here is the Gen1 Floodlight doesn’t have the inherent ability to dim the lights like the Spotlight.

I think I saw a dimming function for the Floodlight Pro. Any chance the Gen1 Floodlight will ever have a dimming ability?

3 Likes

That solved it! I removed the linked device option for lights. It was ok to keep the recording link on.

2 Likes

Thanks! I finally got the feature and it works great

2 Likes

We’ve checked with our teams, @5150Joel. The dimming feature you mentioned is not available at this time, but we’ve shared your feedback with our teams here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring

Thanks. Also, should all devices have Device Schedules by now? My Floodlight cam (gen1) got that feature almost a month ago but my Spotlight Cam Wired still doesn’t have Device Schedules. Is it still rolling out?

Hi @5150Joel. Happy to chime in for Marley. This feature is still rolling out to all users and devices. Make sure that your Ring app is up to date and that your phones OS is also up to date. When you select your Spotlight Cam Wired, you should see a Device Schedules tile in the upper right. Thank you for your patience while this feature makes its way to you!

1 Like

Can device schedules or motion schedules for doorbells include zones and sensitivity?
My doorbell missed a catalytic converter being sawed off a car in direct line of sight last night because the zone is set to not sense cars during the day. Very unfortunate!

When will all the users get this feature. It has been really annoying not being able to keep the light off.

1 Like

Please provide ETA on rollout for device schedule of my Ring wired floodlight cam. I’m a paying customer and others have it rolled out to them yet I don’t? You’re wasting my electricity every night I am unable to set my light on a schedule. Please add tile to my profile.

1 Like

This isn’t working currently, the dusk to dawn schedule will not activate my light, only a set time for on/off is working. And sadly, the app refuses to allow me to chat with a rep. So weekly I have to keep adjusting the time window. Would love for the dusk to dawn feature to work like other brands smart lights.
Also, maybe it’s the last app update but now motion during daylight hours triggers the light on even though the toggle is switched to not allow that.

What did you mean by this? I had a frustrating conversation with a rep on the phone who said to utilize the dusk til dawn feature - I have to tell the app what time dusk and dawn is, which defeats the whole purpose…:.if I’m telling the app that then it’s the same as setting a start and stop time.
There is nowhere that I see the app wants manual adjustments for dusk to dawn.
I’m assuming the app is using my home address and linking to weather to know sunrise and sunset times.
Please advise since right now it’s not turning the light on at all and I have a wired Gen 1 spotlight in a very dark area so I have it set to stay on all night.
For now I removed dusk to dawn and went back to adjust the start/stop time every couple weeks.

Will there ever be a feature to schedule the dimming as well? For example, I keep my lights on all night long dusk to dawn. During Christmas I have Christmas lights around the area and I want them more visible so the 8 hours my Christmas lights are on, I want the ring to be at 25 percent brightness. Once the lights timer goes off, I want the ring to shoot back up to 100 percent. Will this ever happen?

Please add the ability for the spotlight cam (battery) to only operate as a spotlight (no recording) when in Home mode during specific hours. Ideally it should record when the household is asleep but act as a pathway light without recording or notifications during the dark evenings of winter

A post was split to a new topic: Motion warning access

Could a Ring representative please clarify something? Under Device Settings/Light Settings I have Motion-Activated Lights turned on. Does this mean that the lights will come on anytime (day or night) when it senses motion? I would like to keep the lights off during the day to save the battery, but under Device Schedules/Light Schedules it offers two options: keeping them off from dusk to dawn and setting a custom off-schedule. I must not understand this function since there’s no battery-saving option to keep them off during daylight.

1 Like

Under the Ring Camera Light Settings in your Ring app, the “Motion-Activated Lights” toggle will ensure that your lights are activated when the light triggering motion is detected. Most Ring Cameras with lights will have a detection field of view for lights, and a separate one for motion events. The Motion-Activated Lights toggle applies to your lights, and will take effect during the night time.

Please note, your Ring Camera will also turn on the lights every time it detects normal motion, as described further in our Help Center article below.

1 Like

This is a good start, but there is a HUGE mistake. For an OFF schedule, you can only turn off at Dusk and on at Dawn. Obviously we need to choose Dawn for off and Dusk for on. How did you miss this???

1 Like

I completely agree with this note about the flaw. I have some spotlights connected to a spotlight cam. When the spotlights detect motion, they all turn on and the spotlight cam lights also turn on. The spotlights have a light sensor option so that they do not activate during the day. That is not an option for the spotlight cam. So what is happening is during the day when the spotlights detect motion they do not turn on but they do activate the lights on the spotlight cam (draining the battery). I thought the lights off schedule would solve that but. . . the schedule can only be set to keep the lights off from dusk to dawn or with user defined specific time schedule. The ability to set a light off schedule during the day (dawn to dusk) is needed!

1 Like