Extend the length of Live View

Here is one method. This was originally written for the 10 Minute Live Timeout. Now that the timeout is down to 30 or 40 seconds, you will need to adjust line 8 to pause for a sleep time that equals 50 seconds instead of 10 minutes. Note: Below is for a 4 camera system. You can modify it for 1 camera if needed.

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
Do
WshShell.AppActivate “Ring”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys “{TAB 18}”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys " "
WScript.Sleep 629000
Loop

i just use a auto picture clicker that works direct :slight_smile:

just crazy it times out at 30 sec…

1 Like

I have several ideas on how to improve the Ring indoor stick up cams. First, let me tell you my purpose for purchasing. Baby/child monitoring. I have read many a complaint on one of my main issues (no ability to continuously stream past the 10 min timeout) and there are several I haven’t seen mentioned so I am reaching out in hopes it won’t continue to fall on deaf ears. Because it seems it has so far. <br>Previously purchased a Motorola system at Best Buy with a handheld monitor and wifi capabilities because those 2 things together are hard to find. Turns out didn’t use the handheld like I thought I would. Pricey at $250. And glitchy, picture was grainy, colors not great, would go into night vision in broad daylight, app (Hubble) was ok but like the fact that with Ring I can operate out of one app (have a video doorbell, home security system, and smart lock). Boyfriend/father of child lives 400 miles away and need the ability for him to be able to see his daughter from afar and check on home when need be. Was constantly getting notifications by my internet provider that someone was attempting unauthorized access into the cameras, and a few times noticed the LED streaming light on when no one should have been watching us ?YIKES…Soooo, for $60/piece I thought I would take Ring cams for a spin and here are my thoughts. More cons than pros honestly. <br>PROS: Resolution is great, picture quality, colors, zoom, no complaints.<br> Ease of set up and connection to existing network.<br> Central location of all cams/security-related measures in one app. <br> It hasn’t been hacked or no attempts have been made to my knowledge. <br><br>CONS: LITERALLY everything else…no ability to pan the camera, no temperature detection, hate the way you mount it, that dang 10 min timeout which makes it impossible to use as a baby monitor which it seems to be falsely marketed as, no ability to view a live view from the dashboard unless you have motion detection turned on which is not feasible in your living spaces when multiple people are milling about, no ability to keep the app open in a pop-up view in a small window on your device while you do other things like the other app I had. I was able to text and look online and multitask with my phone or tablet while still having a small window open with audio. It also would play music and lullabies lol. <br>Honestly this whole thing is making me want to start using my Motorola monitors again, but gosh I really like the picture on the Ring cameras. Fix it please!!! Especially the 10 min timeout. A temp reading on all cams wouldn’t be a bad option. My doorbell, outdoor and indoor cams, I can think of many applications for a thermometer. <br>I really want to love these, and would be willing to pay more for a souped up version of the basic that did all these extra things. Food for thought. But the timeout is non-negotiable. Gotta be rectified. Cmon Ring. Not asking for endless storage. If other cams can do it, so can you.

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring

Can the vote for the 10 minute timeout removal be added to the Extend the Length of Live View if this person hasn’t already voted there?

https://community.ring.com/t/extend-the-length-of-live-view/4507

Hi Ring team. I need to have continuous live viewing as adverstised. It DOES NOT need to be recording during that time, I just need to see the camera all night for my baby’s bed during the night.
Can we have the App development team look at this ASAP??
I see this has been asked over a year and half ago. What’s the problem??

1 Like

10 minutes??? Mines times out after 30 seconds. Where can we change that?

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Just wanted to post an update about this request and clear up any confusion. Currently, the ability to record continuously (24/7) is not available. The team is working to bring this feature to customers in the future and we appreciate your patience while we work to bring this to customers. We encourage all neighbors in this thread and among our Feature Request Board to continue to advocate for the want of this feature, and feel free to share the main Feature Request for this topic (this thread) with other neighbors (already in the Community or not) that want to upvote it as well. Thank you, neighbors!

1 Like

Hello, I use the macOS desktop app to monitor a telescope in real time during a Twitch stream. I need the option to disable the 10 minute limit on the live view. If you can’t do this I’ll have to switch to a Nest Cam, and have all of the viewers look at the Nest logo every night.

This update needs to happen or I will be also using another product. I never knew nest products allow you to view long periods of live view.

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring

Please merge this Request into the other Windows App Timeout Request that has 419 votes. thank you

https://community.ring.com/t/extend-the-length-of-live-view/4507

I have to join everyone in saying. How is it a security monitoring system if it times out?

I am only getting 10 seconds on my new Video Doorbell 3 Plus. I went into setting to see if I could update and there is nothing to change there.

Having multiple RING devices, including doorbell, various cameras and the home security system which all work well however the one thing I am missing is the ability to keep live view on on anyone one of my cameras for more than 10 min. I would like to self monitor for as long as I want or need to. This is something that is very necessary in cameras such as these. I would also like to see split screen live views where I can live view multiple cameras at the same time especially on the PC interface.

Just installed the Ring Spotlight Cam to monitor my front door while I am working at my desk. Ran smack into the ten-minute limit on live viewing—what are you thinking, Ring? Braindead, idiotic designed-in limitation! Very disappointed! Don’t need recording, other than perhaps a 30-second skip-back buffer. Recording on motion-detect, sure, but not simple live viewing. The inability to perform live viewing makes the camera pretty much useless. No way will I recommend a Ring camera, because of this stupid design choice. Also, discontinuing the desktop app?? WTF??
Ya got me once, but I won’t be buying again and I darn sure will not recommend it to my friends.

I’m just here to get the 10-minute limit removed. Its not a helluva lot of use as a security camera unless you can have it up on-screen without having to reactivate it every 10 minutes. Can’t imagine why this is taking so long… it’s the third-highest request on the board and has been for a year or more. It can’t be much more than a very quick software update to remove the limit surely?

I only WISH I had a 10-minute time out. Mine is more like 30 seconds now. This is TOTAL B.S.!!! And yes, I pay the $100 a year for the “premium” service! (*I should say “paid” as I won’t be doing it again, but will begin looking for a more responsive provider.)