Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)

Love the product. Need to extend the time out. I use Rig to view my front of house while upstairs. Helps me have a breeze in my house but know if anyone comes up. Not fun to repeatably reconnect. Thanks

2 Likes

I purchased this camera based on the fact that I could live-stream to my windows pc. It wasn’t until I purchased it and installed it that I discovered the 10-minute limit. I’m considering returning it and purchasing another product that has no limit.

1 Like

----DOES RING ACTUALLY READ THESE? - - - - - Hello all, I can’t believe I didn’t know about this limit and had to have my customer (who bought 7 powered ring devices to monitor a family member that’s ill,) inform me. I never saw this listed in any of their signup pages. I don’t see any r reason not to enable this on powered devices, a simple code change, unless every bit of video data goes through ring servers (which it shouldn’t…) please, if someone from ring reads this, say hi at least, so we know there’s some hope…

3 Likes

This is another much needed, basic feature that should be intergrated within the Ring ecosystem that will not be implemented due to the fact that Ring does not want clients live streaming multiple cameras 24/7 due to cloud storage limitations/bandwidth.

Feature Suggestion:

Change the subscription model into different tiers. Create a high-end tier charging $xxx/year to increase cloud storage capacity/bandwidth that allows multiple camera, unlimited 24/7 Live View/recording without the 10 minute live view timeout. Implement the feature/option for Ring Desktop App Live View to record/save the live view session locally instead of to the cloud.

The more I keep researching Ring the more I am realizing the Ring ecosystem has geared itself for the basic grandma grandpa, mom and pop, false sense of security type of consumers. It is obvious the Ring is not gearing itself towards the actually consumers that want a full fledge, multi camera security platform.

Between the 10min limit on the desktop Live View timeout and the huge blunder of no Live View for multiple cameras I am starting to see who the Ring ecosystem is catering towards.

Not to mention other issues that I have like there not being visible time, date and current bandwidth when viewing live view.

HOWEVER, without eliminating the 10 minute timeout when viewing live view this feature of viewing multiple cameras on desktop live view is a useless as the Ring ecosystem as an actual full fledged security system.

The main issue here is not just Rings inabilty to listen to the loyal consumer, the real issue is us the consumer buying into a closed source system thinking we have any control over our personal security.

I bought into the idea of seemless intergration with Alexa, Ring and Lutron but a DIY IP Installation is the best solution for many of us.

**My 2k+ Prime Day purchase might be headed back to Amazon. **

6 Likes

I agree about the 2 items being linked (10 minute time out and multi camera view).

We need both these features for Ring to become a decent security camera solution. Period.

MultiCam is Number 1 on the TOP 10 Request List and the 10 minute time out is Number 5. Keep your votes pouring in to raise the timeout limit abolishment to Number 2. (Hit the thumbs up icon at the top of this page if you haven’t already).

The best thing you can do right now if you have recently purchased a Ring camera is to return it and in the reason field, add the text “Limited to only 10 Minutes of Live View”. The word really needs to get out into social media about how horrible this flaw really is.

In the meantime, you can force the Windows 10 app to allow more than 10 minutes of live view using the following VB script code (you just need to adjust the TAB number to accomodate for your configuration):

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”)
Do
WshShell.AppActivate “Ring”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys “{TAB 17}”
WScript.Sleep 1500
WshShell.SendKeys " "
WScript.Sleep 615000
Loop

1 Like

Totally agree!

A timeout for live view is just plain stupid and makes no sense for a security camera to time out!

3 Likes

It woud make absolute sense for you to be able to live stream indefinitely.

2 Likes

A ton of people have posted now requesting the addition of more live time and no response from Ring! I am going to be switching to a home security system. Such a bummer that no one has responded to theses requests.

2 Likes

Please remove the limit, it’s terrible

3 Likes

We need this now ASAP!!!

I bought my camera for baby monitor and want to be able to baby continuously on my echo show.

Ring - how long do we have to wait for this feature. Loads of people want this. Hi e us an update date of this feature coming and roll out ASAP

This should not be limited at all and allow unlimited viewing if live feed requested. Remove the 10minute limit all together!!!

Please!!!

2 Likes

Hello Ring,

Please provide us an update for when this simple code change can be implimented. thank you

2 Likes

Are there any recent updates on this?

Continuous live view is a functionality that we would love to have with our office cameras. It would help a ton with deterring theft/vandalism.

Highly considering selling all Ring devices and going with a different security system provider.

2 Likes

They don’t care. they don’t even read this and if they do they ignore it. its absolutely ridiculous! I already have someone buying mine and I’m going with a system from ADT

2 Likes

Absolutely would love an extension to the timeout. Using Ring for watching for deliveries, monitoring children doing homework, watching pets in the back yard are all incredibly frustrating endeavors with this disconnect limit. I’d even be happy with increasing it to 60 minutes so as to reduce the number of needed refreshes (either via the desktop app, the mobile app, or my smart home screens).

4 Likes

Frequenly, given a notice that there is movement, and I fire up my unit to see what’s happening, the camera has already shut down.

Please give us the capability of setting how long the camera will emain active. For example, the average size of a recording is X, give the ability to multiply that average by 5, 10, even 20 times. Just sayin’

2 Likes

This is really inconvenient. My desktop Ring app won’t keep live view open for more than 30 seconds. We have the camera, not the doorbell. I know that it’s a lot of bandwidth if everyone is using this all the time, but maybe add it as a paid feature or something. I don’t always hear the doorbell (and sometimes people knock instead of ringing). We had to bring the perimeter off from the street because we were getting a notification every 10 seconds when a car would drive by, but now we don’t get notified when a delivery pulls up unless they actually pull into the driveway, which they usually do not do. So if we don’t get notified until they are on the step, and then have to run to catch them before they give up and leave a missed delivery notice, that’s really inconvenient. This is compounded when our lawn guy is here, because he sets off motion alerts every few minutes, too, and makes it even harder to hear the door. Point is, on occasion, I would like to just be able to bring up the camera and see what’s going on.

2 Likes

It is amazing that so many people have spent the time to find this page, add their vote, and comment. It is a testament to how annoying this problem is! I’m willing to bet very few of you are doing this for any other product. Imagine how many people didn’t bother to search and find this page, and just went away unsatisfied by Ring!?

Maybe we all need to start adding negative Amazon reviews or something that would get the companies attention.

2 Likes

I have the same issue

2 Likes

I can’t believe that this ist actually happening, why would you make a camera that does not support live view for longer than 10 Minutes? Or would that burn the chips/electronics inside the camera?

2 Likes

Please update this. 10 minute timeout makes using for baby monitor extremely difficult.

2 Likes