Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)

I have a video doorbell, plus 3 other ring camera’s around my property. I have been happy with them, and have also recommended / and installed them for multiple customers . However - Twice in the last few months, when looking back through my footage to view an important “incident” I have come to find it has happened BETWEEN recordings. I can see what happens BEFORE, and then the AFTERMATH. But I have no recording of the actual incident! USELESS!! Why leave it up to chance!! At the least there should be an option to pay more for 24/7 recording. Or even just record constantly when there is regular movement!!! Looks Like I will need to dump these and move to a more reliable solution, as I know no-one at RING will be reading this feedback, or fixing this issue!

1 Like

I really want to get into the Ring ecosystem of alarms and security cameras. I have an Echo device in each room which is great and one Ring Spotlight cam but can’t commit to Ring unless I get 24/7 recording. I have a Google/Nest Hello doorbell which is 24/7 recording (with subscription plan of course) which also does 4K and has come in handy MULTIPLE times. Come on Ring, there’s clearly many people waiting and hoping for this feature who are also willing to pay a bit more for additional security. I’m sure you guys can figure it out.

3 Likes

I have have 7 Ring cameras. If they were all recording 24x7 at HD the Internet bandwidth required could a problematic. I think Ring has a good solution with motion recording and snapshots every minute (or what ever option you choose). You look at the timeline and see a “choppy view” of the day, with smooth video when motion is detected.

1 Like

I am happy to see that I am not the only one. I have the ring doorbell camera, the floodlight camera and the chime. I was thinking about buying a couple more cameras for around the outside of the house as well as inside the house but these comments have led me to see the limitations of the ring system. Since this is the first home for me and my wife and we are looking to buy a newer bigger house, I will wait and invest in a more customizable dedicated CCTV home monitoring system.

1 Like

Yes! Thinking of changing over to Nest because this is missing in Ring’s system

3 Likes

24/7 recording could easily be acheived with a base station with hard drive add-on, with maybe only motion events uploaded to the cloud. This would allow continuous monitoring of multiple live cameras and faster and more reliabe access to recordings.

The question is why do we not have this already?

4 Likes

If they allowed you to store records, it would give people less reason to pay for the subscription.

1 Like

I see Xfinity is now advertising 24/7 continuous recoding with a 1 week buffer. Ring needs this. Make it a small up charge, offer compatibility with available OTS local hardware, make your own. Something needs to be provided.

2 Likes

So Disappointing! Not having Continuous 24/7 Feed.
There’s a reason they don’t put the 10 minute limitation on the package.
Looks like customers have been asking for this feature for years and it has not happened. I wish I would have read this forum before my purchase. It’s a shame I did all the installation only to have to return it.

2 Likes

I 100% agree. Devs hook us up!

The problem is the people who want to locally store 24/7 records and the like aren’t even looking at the ecosystem.

Not everyone who gets a Doorbell or Camera is going to sign up for the service. Sure there will be the ones who do because they want the timeline where they can scrub through the motion based events to get an idea of what is going on, but a lot of people just want live view and notifications.

The people who want to store video locally aren’t even considering these cameras because they don’t do it.

By adding in 24/7 continuous recording and local storage Ring increases sales gets more people to buy into the ecosystem. They can use the continuous recording aspect to more accurately record the motion that is going on rather than hoping it is still going on by the time the event triggers. They could take based on what the customer wants some of the before event recording, add it to the event recording and give you a fuller picture.

This fuller picture they could advertise as a feature of their subscription based service which would honestly get more people to look into buying it. Because currently their motion based recordings suck quite a bit.

1 Like

If Ring is not paying any attention to all of your ideas they are missing some great opportunities. This would create more jobs, increase sales and most importantly move Ring to the top of security networks.

1 Like

I use a lot of ring products and tons more nest on various property’s. I pay for the best plans yearly on both. Nest blows ring away by a mile. Whoever is saying pay for your ring plan and you’ll be able to use the 24/7 feature has no idea what they are talking about. Ring only allows for 90 second clips at most. Do yourself a favor and buy a nest if you want the 24/7 recording. May/2021

2 Likes

Insane! I was going to switch everything over to the Ring ecosystem but now Im going to stick with Nest for all my cameras. This is boneheaded Amazon, wake up…

1 Like

My cameras missed someone going around and trying car doors and breaking windows at 5:30am today. If I had continuous recording it would have gotten the guy going past several times, checking the cars parked opposite out my my motion zone etc. Very frustrating that my neighbours nest doorbell caught it all.

I think a good option for Ring and Consumers would be to offer a local storage cache that is locked down. If someone buys one and adds to their setup it could unlock continuous recording and as long as it were on the same LAN, cameras record there and it acts as a master for cloud upload of actual events so they are off site and sabotage proof. Would also provide a neat uninterrupted option for temporary caching if your home network went down briefly.

This way you’d still need a subscription so ring don’t lose out but it offers a local NVR providing additional features.

A simple 1tb HDD, enclosure, small raspberry pi type brain with a network port would do. Come on Ring, Please!

2 Likes

Didn’t see your reply until after posting essentially the same thing! Ring really are missing a trick with this.

1 Like

Please add this, :slight_smile: It would make Ring so much more attractive to a lot of people looking for home security cameras.

1 Like

I previously had only a Nest camera. I bought a Ring doorbell and FloodLight, mainly because I liked the FloodLight.

I did lots of research on the products, but not so much the software - I made the mistake of assuming it would offer the same features as Nest as it appears to, until closer inspection. Big, big Mistake.

Here’s what’s missing (and why I’d recommend staying clear of Ring):
-No support for Live View on web browser, only previous events (Nest has live feature)
-No continuous 24-hour recording (as this thread states, again Nest does this)
-No compatibility for Ring FloodLight with Ring app on Mac. This means there’s NO WAY to get live view on a Mac.

How can it be that such basic things are missing/that there are such basic issues?

1 Like

come on Ring! It’s 2021… you need 24/7 record option. Make a camera that has an SD card or NAS option w/ paid subscription and the ability to go back and view on app ( none of that blink garbage of having to use a module to record) I have to use two camera systems because - I need one w/ 24/7 recording because my ring won’t pick the moment when I needed it; which has already happened numerous times.

1 Like

This is a very much needed feature.
Even lower quality would work better than nothing.

2 Likes