Doorbell 3+ battery just later 23days

I bought a doorbell 3+ last month, installed and setup, also bought a spare battery, as it seems a bit daft that you don’t have a doorbell for 10hours whilst other is charging.

I set up advanced motion zones to just look at my front garden however I am finding it’s recording say a lorry driving past which is no where near the motion zone for some reason and other events that are not in the motion zone.

However I’ve just had to change the battery, it lasted 23 days! This isn’t good enough. I’ve had probably about 10-20 actual rings on doorbell in this time.

I’m disappointed to be honest. I knew it wouldn’t last the 6 months that’s advertised, but 23days?

Hi @L1111. I would suggest modifying your Motion Zones and Motion Frequency. These Community articles have some great information on Motion Zones and Motion Frequency. Also, if you can attach a picture of your Motion Zones, the Community will be able to make some suggestions on how to optimize your motion detection. This will ultimately help your battery last longer, as the more activations per day, the quicker your battery will drain. I hope this information helps!

1 Like

Ok I’ll have a look although have modified them.

What I don’t understand though is my motion zone setup is no where near the road and it’s picking up cars and lorry’s going past. What’s the point in seeing the advanced zone if it just ignores it?

Same issue here. Large vehicles occasionally set of my motion detection despite being out of the zone. TBH I can cope with a couple of false positives per day, but the battery drain is a problem. I keep a fully charged spare which I swap every three or four weeks. Hard wiring will be my next step b

Hi @Lionheart. If you have steps leading up to your front door, chances are the street is in the center of your Doorbell’s view which can cause it to pick up motion from passing cars and vehicles. We have some tips and tricks on optimizing the motion detection of your Doorbell here, which may be helpful.

I’m quite impressed you get 23 days. Considering the sales pitch is up to six months I am lucky to get a week out of mine. I live in a cul-de-sac with minimal motion, I have a good WiFi signal and I have the settings set to recommended or below.
When I first bought it it lasted a couple of months but now it’s ridiculous. A firmware update must have made a change somewhere and now it’s not working as per the sales pitch. Add in the ridiculous 40% price hike in the basic plan for features nobody wants and after a little over a year I’ll be getting rid of my doorbell 3 and chime. I’d get it refunded while you can and find an alternative.

I swear you’re just a bot sitting around waiting for 40% or 30% to appear in comments. I don’t care that it’s £1 a month, I care that it’s 40% for things I don’t want and aren’t increasing in cost by 40% for Amazon. I can link it back to my Azure stack and it wouldn’t cost me £35 a year in storage, but then Amazon are forcing customers to stay locked in.

Enjoy your one person campaign you blinkered Amazon bot.

Hi @SolarEclipse and @BeastleeUK. Please review our Community Guidelines and remember to remain civil to other neighbors in the Community. Let’s keep the conversation on topic and helpful in nature, as we do not tolerate trolling or any personal attacks on one another. The Community Moderation team reserves the right to remove your posts if they violate our Community Guidelines, so please keep this in mind.

@BeastleeUK Have you tried any troubleshooting steps regarding your battery? I’d recommend reviewing how many motions, dings and Live Views your Doorbell records each day to see if any adjustments to your settings can be made. You can also find some information on battery life in our Help Center article here. If you have a second battery available, you can try testing out that battery after fully charging it to narrow down if the concern is with the Doorbell or the battery itself.

I have followed all the troubleshooting steps and I have 2 batteries that behave the same. As I say, originally the battery lasted months but with no changes at all, other than newer firmware, it went down to a week. I have next to no activity to cause it to drain so fast and I don’t believe we should have to turn the settings down to minimum in order for a battery to last more than 7 days. I’ve read lots of similar reports and with the recent price increase I’m not going to look into it further but thanks for your help.

my door bell will not charge constant flashing blue while “charging” after 36 hours still 3% ???

Hi @user22284. Can you please share which model of Ring Doorbell you have? The model name can be found on the original packaging or on the Device Health page in the Ring app. You can also try resetting your Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, walk your Doorbell through a new setup in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device.