Linked Devices: Set Cameras or Doorbells to record when Contact Sensor is triggered

It would be nice if you could create rules for linked devices. For instance, if you could tell a camera to record when a door sensor changes. This feature would be nice when the alarm is disarmed but even better when armed.

That way, if you have a camera pointed at a door which has a door sensor, the camera would record upon the door opening keeping a record of everyone entering your home or business.

I would like to see a feature for setting your door sensors to trigger camera recording regardless if the system in disarmed or not. I have a very old Roomate who refuses to use the security system. I have a sensor on my bedroom door and a stick-up camera in my room. I would like for the camera to record every time the bedroom door is opened. I have not seen the ability to do this in the app yet.

1 Like

I agree with that. It would be nice to be able to monitor who is coming and going through the door.

+1, Also generalize this.

We can link devices, like different cameras can be linked with each other. But the sensors can not get linked to cameras.

It would be great if each sensor would be treated like a device and we could link them with cameras. so if Sensor X got triggered, then camera Y starts recording.

Thanks,

2 Likes

It’s great that I can set the cameras to record when the alarm is sounding, or when on entry delay. However, it would be really useful if I could also set the cameras to record whenever the door contact is activated on just being opened. Is this a feature that you can add please? Thanks.

1 Like

I received my outdoor contact sensor that I ordered for my gate. I’d like to be able to link that sensor so that when the gate/sensor opens, the doorbell camera begins recording.
I’m not seeing any way to do that. I think it would be a great feature to have as an option. Anyone have an idea or can @ring get this feature added.

1 Like

Hi @I3lazen. While you can’t set your Ring Doorbell to begin recording based on a specific Contact Sensor or Morion Detector, you can set it to start recording when the Ring Alarm is triggered. You can find more information on the Linked Devices feature for this in our Help Center Article here. I’ve also moved your post over to our Feature Request board so other neighbors can comment and share interest in this suggestion as well. :slight_smile:

Seconded. More generally, the ability to pair/link any contact sensor with any ring camera. I have indoor and outdoor contact sensors that I’d like to pair with my ring indoor and outdoor cameras so that they record when stuff is opened.

1 Like

I have a front gate that I don’t set to trigger alarms when opened because your parent company has a tendency to deliver packages at all hours of the day :-). However, I would like to have my ring doorbell and floodlight cameras start recording when my Amazon delivery person opens my front gate.

i WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS HAPPEN ALSO!

2 Likes

I recently installed a Ring Alarm system, and overall I like it very much. I would love to be able to link some of the alarm devices/sensors to my cameras. For instance, if one of the door/window sensors, or one of the motion sensors trigger, I’d like to be able to have one or more of the cameras start recording. This would make the system overall more useful for me.

This Ring page on device linking (https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033904271-Linking-your-Ring-devices-together-for-enhanced-security-) indicates “Device linking works with all Ring devices including Video Doorbells and Security Cams.” But this doesn’t appear to be true: if I understand what the app is telling me I can essentially only link cameras to each other, and to Ring Smart Lighting.

I’d love it if I could get some additional versatility out of my Ring Alarm without having to purchase yet more equipment.

Also see: Link RingDoor Bell to Alarm Contact Sensor - Smart Responses

This would be amazing to have. People have talked about getting this feature from many many months ago and still no changes. Ring please add this feature.

Hi neighbors. To clarify, you can use the Linked Devices feature to link your Cameras or Doorbell to your Ring Alarm system. This allows you to set it so that your Camera or Doorbell begins recording when the Ring Alarm is triggered. You can learn more about this feature here.

What I want is a finer level of control. For instance, if the system triggers because, say, the front window sensor trips, I want the front room camera to start recording, and any exterior cameras on that side of the home. I don’t necessarily want the basement family room camera to start recording.

1 Like

What us customers are wanting is an additional feature that does not exist. We know the cameras can start recording once an alarm is set off. That’s not what we are talking about here.

What we want is to that if a specific sensor or event occurs, that we can tell a specific camera to start recording even if no alarm is tripped. For instance, suppose I have my system set so that no alarm goes off if any sensors is opened when my system is disarmed. Now, even if disarmed, I would like Camera A to start recording if Sensor C is opened. Assume Camera A Connor see activity where Sensor C is, so the camera motion detection would not be useful in this case.

This is what more robust and useful security systems allow. It appears Ring is attempting to get customers to buy another camera.

2 Likes

I would like to request a feature to link a door sensor to a specific camera. When alarm is disarmed, the door sensor still triggers the camera to record so I know who came in/out.
Currently the base station only beeps to alert door has opened. The cameras only record when the alarm goes off.

I would like to see this feature added as well. Right now only motion sensors (or the alarm event) can be used with “linked” devices (like cameras) and I’d like to be able to trigger a camera recording when a specific door is opened.

It would be great to link the door sensors to a camera. For example when the kitch door opens the camera selected will start recording like it does when a motion is detected.

1 Like

I’m looking for this feature too. When I googled for it, this is what I ended up with. So it’s definitely a very nice and important feature many of us want. Will Ring ever listen to us?

Yes this would be very useful to monitor specific locations. Examples include things like monitoring pet cage door, kids room doors, refrigerator of pantry doors (kids) where you don’t want it to alarm, but want capture what’s happening.