Detected person seen and heard ringing the bell in the video, but no ring registered

I’m trying to get a newly installed doorbell3 working smoothly but am finding it can be rather inconsistent. A prime example happened about an hour ago - in the history there is a “Person Detected” event. You can clearly see their hand reach for the button and you can hear the sound of the bell ringing in the recorded audio, but no rings were heard inside the house and there is no ring event in the timeline.

Testing since, I have rung the bell twice and show up both times as a ring (one missed and one answered) and the Chime inside rang too.

If the Doorbell 3 made no noise I would be happy that the missing ring was simply user error in pressing the button wrongly somehow, but the audible alert for the person on the doorstep suggests that they mastered this skill and the Doorbell 3 itself may have a glitch? What should I be checking to debug this?

Hi @caomhin. It definitely should ring as normal when the Doorbell button is pressed. Have you experienced this occurring again since the first time it happened? You can reset the Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds, which is a common troubleshooting step. After the reset, you’ll just need to reconnect the Doorbell to wifi in the Ring App by navigating to the Device Health screen.

If this does happen again, would you mind reaching out to our support team directly so they can take a look? You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Unfortunately, yes - a quick scan through today’s timeline shows 2 people ringing the bell and hearing a chime, but no ring inside and simply registering as Person Detected. Oddly, there are also two deliveries where the person didn’t appear to touch the bell but the timeline shows as Missed Ring.

I’ll give the helpline a call. Thanks for confirming it’s weird!

1 Like

This is the main disadvantage of this ringtone, a topic raised several times here on the forum. A dozen or so users have a problem with it and the service is not able to fix it. The service only replaces the equipment with a new one, but the problem remains unresolved. You are not alone.

It is very strange that only the second press of the ring responds correctly - I have the house bell and the ringing events on the timeline.

I spent just under 2 hours on the phone with 3 different support agents this afternoon and having followed their advice and unmounted the bell, reconnected the wifi once, and reinstalled the app twice the verdict is… they’ll keep an eye on the problem. The third agent was actually happy with the wifi signal and has said if it happens again they should send a replacement out so it’s now a waiting game I guess. A frustrating afternoon, but hopefully the records of the calls will make future attempts (if needed) a little smoother.