Delay between doorbell and chime/app notification

I bought a Video Doorbell 2+ Chime a few days ago but am already fed up with the delay between pressing the doorbell and receiving notifications on the Chime and the mobile app.

Both the doorbell and chime are within close proximity to my router and the RSSI signal strength is good on both.

What I have noticed is that the delay is very obvious (20+ seconds) if the doorbell is pressed after being idle for a long time. However, if I test the doorbell again a couple of minutes later, the notifications are instant on both chime and app. Is there some kind of delay associated with the doorbell “booting up” after periods of inactivity? That would seem very suboptimal if it’s the case, since the doorbell is obviously inactive most of the time.

A quick google search tells me that A LOT of people have experienced the same problem, but there does not appear to be an obivous solution. Can someone from Ring please advise what is being done to address this? It seems like a pretty serious design flaw which renders the device more or less useless for it’s intended purpose.

Hi @eguk. What is the RSSI on your Doorbell and your Chime? I’d suggest taking a look at our Community Post on RSSI here to ensure that the reading is good, as a high RSSI can contribute to delays in receiving notifications. Additionally, are you experiencing these notification delays when your phone is connected to mobile data or when it’s connected to wifi? Test it out on both connections to see if you can isolate if it is connection based.

You can also try to uninstall the Ring App, restart your phone, and reinstall the Ring App. This step typically resolves any notification concerns. If nothing seems to do the trick, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They can take a closer look at your account and device for you to try and diagnose what’s causing this. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.