Deadbolt Lock

I’m hoping that forum members who have had a lot of experience with various types of deadbolt locks can give me some suggestions.

For years, I’ve suggested that older seniors (and others) designate one (or more) room(s) in their home for items they want to keep away from others. Initially, people often naively assume that simply having a traditional (exterior type, keyed) deadbolt installed is enough. Sadly, they often quickly discover how incredibly unethical many people are, including people they thought they could trust.

I’ve been trying to think of some type of solution to this problem. Ideally, such a lock would have a high degree of reliability and would allow at least two types of (non-cellphone) access (such as using a physical key or keying in a code).

Unfortunately, it seems like many of the types of deadbolt locks that are oriented toward the residential market tend to have bad reviews.

Any suggestions?

Hey @Frustrated427. Here is a list of compatible locks that work with our Ring Alarm system. A good idea is to have a Contact Sensor on the door and have a Indoor Cam aiming at the door. You can then setup a Routine via Amazon Alexa to record once the door is opened. This can help mitigate unauthorized access to a specific room. This is something my parents use for my grandfather who has dementia. I hope this is helpful.

Tom_Ring -

Thanks for the information. It must be stressful to have to keep careful track of a vulnerable individual.

Do you know where I can find a DETAILED explanation “in plain English” (rather than legalese) as to EXACTLY who has access to details regarding Ring alarm systems (and related accessories)? Is the information end-to-end encrypted?

For example, who can access the status/history of an individual alarm accessory (such as a Ring Window and Door Contact Sensor or third-party smart lock) versus the status/history of the Ring alarm system itself? Would your answer be different if the Ring alarm system was self-monitored (rather than professionally monitored)?

Good question! We may have just the article for you, @Frustrated427. :slight_smile: The Ring Alarm system has some great features for controlling added, shared, or guest users through users and roles. Check out our Help Center article which lists the access and steps for each role, as well as has a section for PIN codes. It sounds like you might find a lot of use out of Sharing PINs with Guest Users. When sharing PINs the owner will have the best access for controlling PINs and seeing history.

There is also this Guest User Scheduling feature, but please note it does not apply to smart locks at this time.

As for the available history, the history of specific codes will be tracked in your device’s history list. You will be able to tell exactly when certain codes were used to access the locks.

Marley_Ring -

Actually, I’m trying to find out if ANYONE other than the account “Owner” has access to ANY alarm-related information (assuming there are no shared/guest users).

Obviously, customers who care about privacy and security are NOT going to want such information available to ANY third parties, including, but not limited to:

• Ring employees (and/or service providers for Ring)
  • Amazon employees (and/or service providers for Amazon)
  • Alarm monitoring company employees and/or service providers (if the alarm system is self-monitored)
  • Hackers

Even customers who have professional monitoring are not going to want anyone associated with the monitoring company to be able to access information except in very limited circumstances (such as when an alarm goes off and no one either quickly turns off the alarm and/or calls in with the secret code).