Silent Panic Button and other options

The Ring panic button currently sets off the general alarm and sounds the siren. This is not always the desired function of a panic button, and the inability to configure different actions in the settings is a major shortcoming.

Some different actions that a person may want:

1. Fire - Similar to the fire-specific panic button on the keypad, the monitoring center would dispatch fire directly. Ideally, instead of a general alarm, sound a specific evacuation alarm.
  2. Medical - Similar to the medical-specific panic button on the keypad, the monitoring center would dispatch EMS directly. An individual with specific medical conditions may desire the ability to have a panic button at their bedside in case something should happen. The *LAST* thing you want during a medical event is a loud siren going off in the background. If they are able to answer the call from the monitoring center, it will be critical to have silence in the background so that the call-taker can go through the appropriate questions. As a first responder, I can assure you that the more information that is available prior to EMS arrival, the better.
  3. Silent - No alarm, and no call-back…immediate dispatch of response. If I wake up to an intruder, I want the ability to hear what is going on in my home. I want the ability to hear if my kids are ok, and to be able to communicate with my family. I do not need or want a loud alarm going off. I *KNOW* something is going on…you don’t need to alert me to it.

To make this change would be so simple, as most other sensors have some configurable settings. This would simply require the creation of 4 options in the settings for the panic button, with the current behavior as the default.

The current function of the panic button is completely undesirable to me, and therefore useless. I will most likely be sending this costly piece of plastic back.

1 Like

The only thing keeping me from putting in the Ring for Business in four locations is an instant silent panic button. The ones I have currently in place have been used numerous times and I cannot change the system without having a solution in place. Putting in a 4 digit code on the keypad is not a solution for a silent panic alarm. Please add this device/feature.

We have added panic buttons to our Ring Alarm systems in our offices for the front end retail people to use. Last weekend we had an incident where a female employee needed to use the panic button, and the siren enraged the problem customer even more. We would like to see the option to configure the panic buttons for silent alarms for safety purposes.

100% agree that a silent option needs to be in place. I also use it for my business and had an incident where the silent alarm would have been useful. If the siren would have sounded it would have made things worse. We needed the police response but did not want to agitate the customer even more. Entering 4 digits on the keypad is not an option when things are escalating. We have the Ring system in 2 locations, but I am looking for other security systems for future locations because of this.

2 Likes

I would love a slight alteration to the silent option. If the panic button could be configured to send push alerts to app users, and possibly to play a sound on specific Chimes, that would be ideal. I’d like to be able to use the panic button for volunteers to alert staff, but not necessarily call emergency services.

2 Likes

lets bring this topic up… WE NEED THE SILENT ALARM FUNCTION!