Conflict in App - Confidence in Tech Support Slightly Lost After 6 Calls

I have a Ring floodlight camera. I posted a problem that was not addressed online and after 5 calls to tech support, the problem was not resolved. However, every time I called in, I was walked through steps to fix the problem but none worked. The issue is, I have a light schedule so my floodlight comes on at 9 PM - 6 AM. However, if an event is triggered, the light would go off after a few mins and not come back on unless another event triggered it. After that, it would shut down again. I was told to uninstall the app, uninstall the device, hard reset it, delete the light schedule, etc. Nothing worked.

Interestingly, the guy at tech support told me this was a known issue that was being worked on. BUT…while talking to him on the phone, I discovered the cause of the problem. The settings in the app have conflicts! In the floodlight settings, then DEVICE SETTINGS then LIGHT SETTINGS, I found MOTION ZONES FOR LIGHTS. It is here that I discovered the AUTO-SHUTOFF TIMER, which was set to 3 mins. You do NOT have the option to disable this. So…even though I have a light schedule to keep the lights on all night, any event will then kick in this shutoff timer. The fix?

Where it says AFTER MOTION, KEEP LIGHTS ON FOR… This is where Ring needs to allow this option to be disabled OR have one of the options to be FOLLOW LIGHT SCHEDULE.

In the light settings section there is a toggle switch for motion-activated lights. If you disable that but leave your schedule enabled, does it work as desired?

2 Likes

I tested what you said above but no, it didn’t work. This is because the MOTION ZONES FOR LIGHTS has an auto-shutoff timer that turns the lights off after 30 seconds to 15 minutes. The lights only come back on if motion is detected so instead of my lights following the schedule of always being on, the lights go off until reactivated.

1 Like

Ah ok, it was worth a shot. I was hoping that disabling the motion-activated lights entirely would also disable that auto-shutoff timer. Apparently that is not the case. Sounds like this is something that will need to be fixed with a firmware update.

2 Likes

Hi @GetAKitty. Would you be able to shared a few screenshots of how you have your Light Settings configured in the Ring app? If you have Motion-Activated Lights turned OFF and the Motion Zones for Lights also turned off, your lights should stay ON. Is there any devices Linked to this Floodlight? Your Floodlight Cam should adhere to your Light Schedule. You can also check the firmware for your Floodlight Cam in the Device Health section of the Ring app.

1 Like

For test purposes, I followed your steps and turned off Motion Activated Lights and Motion Zones. The firmware is up to date. With these two features disabled, what impact will it have should someone or something walk onto my driveway? Will it still detect the motion and record the event?

1 Like

No suggestions from me but interesting discovery so please keep us posted on how this turns out.

Hi @GetAKitty. Yes, your Camera should still record even with the Light Settings being adjusted. I suggest performing a few tests to ensure that your Camera will record when you need it to. If you are still running into issues, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here.

1 Like

Well, that failed. I did exactly what was posted and no, the lights did not stay on after the auto timer shutoff kicked in and yes, the camera still recorded the events. Am I really asking too much to be able to keep my lights on at night?