Choosing Your Video Record Length

The Recording Length option described in the above post is indeed the best way to increase the time your Ring device will record the video for. Adjusting your motion sensitivity is also a great way to ensure all movement in range is captured.

As for the time between events, once any event ends your Ring device will finish the event in progress then return to a ready state within seconds. Answering an event or live viewing from the Ring app will allow for the event video to continue to record for up to 10 minutes, or until you end the live view, and will avoid you having to wait until the next motion. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Helli. I am having trouble with video record lengths. I set thr cameras to record for 60 seconds, but they are only recording 5-15 seconds when motion is detected. How do i resolve this?

Hi @user17629. Which model of Ring Doorbell or Camera do you have? You can find the name of your device on the Device Health screen in the Ring app. Is your device hardwired or battery powered?

Hello, I have a Ring Video Doorbell 4 that is hardwired and firmware is up to date and my app is up to date but when I change the recording time it never actually does what I set it for. It always records only for around 22 seconds. I currently have it set for 120 seconds! Ive tried rebooting and reconnecting to wifi also and no change…

Hi @Metalman1980. With Advanced Motion Detection, your Doorbell will record until motion stops. The Video Recording Length that you choose is the maximum amount of time your Doorbell will record when motion is occurring. If that motion ends earlier than the time you have set, then the recording will also end earlier. This behavior is intended and it helps cut back on having a bunch of recordings where nothing is happening in them. I hope this helps clear things up! :slight_smile:

please forgive me as I am new to this and technology and I dont always see eye to eye. I have had my ring 4 for a couple of months now. On saturday morning there was a person detected at my front door, but I need about the next 2 minutes of footage. I am signed up to the protect plus, is there anyway I can get it? I stupidly thought that I got notifications but if I needed to look at something specific i could. Any help greatly appreciated. TIA Lin

Hi @user22861. To clarify, Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cameras do not record continuously. You can set a Video Recording Length of your choosing. You can also utilize the Snapshot Capture feature to take snapshots at certain intervals. This allows you to review what’s happened in front of your devices in between events.

I would like to have Video Record Length set up to 45 Seconds. It is odd that there are video record length of 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds and then jump far to 60, 90, and 120 seconds. let me know when Video Record Length set up to 45 or 50 seconds is available. Thank you.

Hi @user27225. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place.