Chime not connecting to wifi

Worked just as you said. Thank you!!!

The fixes listed above (specifically saying “no” when asked to use my previous wifi connection and entering it manually) worked perfectly the first time. This was after 2 hours of pure frustration. It is criminal that this post has been up for 12 months and nothing has been done to update or fix the buggy mess of software on the company’s side. Thank you to the community. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

SOLVED: for me the issue was the fact that my wifi has a passcode. I had already set up my ring previously. When setting up my Chime, when I got to the step that asked if I wanted to connect to my wifi network because I had previously connected to that network, I kept selecting “Yes”. That seemed intuitive, but when I selected “Yes” it never gave me the opportunity to enter my network passcode. I assumed the app remembered it, but that was not the case. Finally I tried the “No” option and then it gave me the list of available Wifi networks. From there I chose my home network and only then was I given the opportunity to enter my Wifi network passcode, which I did and the Chime connected without any problem.

1 Like

It appears that there is a serious issue in the chime pro’s wifi software. It just does not like some router/ap. I spent many hours on this. Its just NOT WORTH THE BOTHER. DONT EVEN TRY IF IT DOES NOT WORK THE FIRST TIME. You are better off paying an electrician to come run some wires and have a mechanical chime which will work.

I tried all of the things mentioned on this thread, Including setting up the chime to use a phone’s hotspot, and then changing the wifi to the desired network. The chime is just incompatible with some networks, and it appears Ring is uninterested in fixing that since this thread has been here a year.

Mine happens to be a larger house with a set of Ubiquity AP’s and a UDM-Pro router. I’m not interested is creating “private networks” for buggy ring devices, or adding more hardware to support it. If you have these, it probably won’t work. Note that my doorbells are wired Elite devices, and I had one die in a day as well… So quality control is an Issue. I suggest you buy a couple of spares, and immediately swap them if they don’t work. Return the ones you don’t need. Your time is too valuable to be unsure if its the hardware.

If any of the people who report issues with SSID or PW with “incompatible characters” are at all correct that “I changed that and then it worked” then that points to VERY poorly written code. I’m not even sure how you could create such a bug…

BE WARNED, The chime is buggy.

Thank you for that answer. I was about to return the device.

Ring, your instructions are AWFUL. It’s incredibly brain-dead to identify the local LAN (wifi) but not supply the password field, or even ask – “Does this WIFI network require a password? If so, please click…”

1 Like

“2. go to the General Management setting”
@lewisburg03 can you please explain where that General Management setting is? I have a Pixel 2 (Android 11) and can’t find it, even when using the search bar in the upper right of the settings app.

I spent close to 90 minutes struggling to get a new-out-of-the-box Chime Gen 2 to connect to my wi-fi network via the RIng app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 9. I tried EVERY one of the suggestions in this thread I found, including changing the name of my router (which I changed back to avoid having to reconnect every other device in the home) and changing wi-fi channels from 6 to 11 on the 2.4gHz band.

"HMMM. Something went wrong . . ." was as far as I got every time. About 60-minutes into this endeavor, I called Customer Support and requested a call-back instead of waiting 40 minutes on hold (and the call came in at almost 40 minutes later).

While on the phone with Support for the next 30 minutes, we tried many of the same things . . . AGAIN . . . and “HMMM. Something went wrong . . .” was the only outcome. Then we tried a different Android phone – my wife’s Samsung Galaxy 9+. "HMMM. Something went wrong . . ."

“Do you mind if I put you on hold while I discuss this with the Advances Support Team?”
“No, go right ahead.”

Then it dawned on me . . . I haven’t tried my iPad. Maybe . . .

So while I was on hold, I started the Set up a Device routine on my iPad. I was just about to try to connect to the Chime when the Support agent came back on and said, “You apparently have a defective Chime, so we’re going to ship you a new one.” We spent the next several minutes going through the details of $1 would be charged to my credit card on file, the replacement would be shipped in 5-7 days, and I would have 30 days to return the defective Chime to avoid being charged for the replacement.

“Fine. Not a problem.”
“Good night, and thank you for calling Ring Support.”

So I went back to attempting the set up using my iPad. BIG DIFFERENCE!

At the step where the app wants to use the Chime’s wi-fi connection, the IOS app uses BLUETOOTH instead of wi-fi. The Bluetooth connection was established, the list of wi-fi networks popped up (including several of my neighbors’ routers), I selected mine, and . . . SUCCESS!

The failure was not the Chime. The failure is obviously a bug in the Android app . . . at least as far as being able to connect to the Wavlink Touch router in my home using two different Samsung Galaxy phones on the T-Mobile network.

Once connected to the wi-fi network, the Chime was recognized on my iPad and the two Samsung phones, and I was able to customize the ring and motion tones from all three devices.

So here’s my solution to add to the list . . . If you get the “HMMM. Something went wrong . . …” screen just once (let alone 63 times as one person wrote, or the 30-40 times as I did) using an Android phone or tablet . . . use an IOS phone, tablet, or iPad. If you don’t own one, borrow a friend’s for 10 minutes – install the Ring app, connect to your account (you’ll need your own Android phone to receive the “two-factor authentication” code to verify your account), run the set up routine, and you should be good to go. Just remember to delete the Ring app from your friend’s IOS device!

If this doesn’t work for you either, then you probably DO have a defective Chime.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I did the same thing. Ignored the use existing network prompt, and selected my wifi network manually and entered the password again. Connected!!

1 Like

Try turning off your firewall on your router settings. That worked for me. Once connected I turned firewall back on again on the router and all worked fine.

Wetty - thank you I had spent 2 hours retrying the chime connection and finally by reentering the internet was redirected to submit the password and it installed. Most helpful tip I have read online in a long while.
Julie

1 Like

Honestly, I had the same issue. I have an android and the representative I had helped me. I’ve been trying to connect the ring chime for about a week. I had already called in before and the representative suggested that I call my internet service to split my service. I would have had to pay $30 to do it, so I decided not to and try my luck with support again. I thought I was going to get the same bs support, but this time, it worked. All I did was turn on my Bluetooth and location and viola, the chime connected to the wifi

1 Like

I had the same problem today when installing a new doorbell and the chime pro. When connecting to the chime it would ask if I would like to connect to the same network. I moved it 3 times, the last right next to the router and still could not connect. So I tried again, this time saying no to the same network, then selecting it from the list. That time it asked me for the password (it didn’t before) and connected right away.

1 Like

Thank youuuuuu sooooo much!!! Your solution was the only one that worked!!!
Blessings!

2 Likes

When my chime was trying to connect to the Wi-Fi it was using the SSID already stored to the app and obviously remembered the password. I told it to connect to a different SSID as I have a few and was then prompted for a password and it worked. I’m not sure if it would also have worked if I told it to ignore already saved SSID and then forced it to connect manually to the saved one. Would it have asked for the password or would it have remembered it?

1 Like

Hello everyone. I purchased the second-generation Chime Pro and I had quite the problem connecting to the wifi that already works successfully for two Doorbell 3.

After a few attempts, I tried this:

• When Ring setup asks you if you’d like to connect to the known network, press “skip for now”
  • Connect manually to your wifi network and reauthenticate via your password (if your wifi is protected, as it should be)
  • Complete your install as directed

Good luck!

Hi there, neighbors! Thank you for sharing your experiences and solutions for other neighbors to see here. If you are still having a concern with your Chime/ Chime Pro connecting to wifi, and have covered the basic troubleshooting steps, feel free to try the solution recommended in this thread, such as trying another mobile device, setting up without scanning, or even this;

If the above steps did not help, please try the following:

1. Toggle location services off, then back on again for the phone (and leave it on).
  2. Toggle location permissions for the Ring app off, then back on again (and leave it on).
  3. Attempt another setup.

After trying out these suggestions, if this concern persists for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

SIMPLE SOLUTION

If the App throws the 'the last time you tried to add this Chime you used this network < insert_your_wifi_name> - Do you want to use it again? ’ - Choose No and then choose your network again from the list. This ensures you enter the Password correctly.

This worked! Thank you!

I got my chime today and pulled my hair out for 2hours till I read your post. My wife has an iPad. Sure enough I got in and done in less than 2 minutes. Thanks so much for sharing your solution.

Wetty, thank you SO MUCH! This saved me the headache of reordering a new Chime or needing to call customer support! Highly recommend this solution. Thanks!

1 Like